Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Sep 2016 at 11:03 PM
Default 75% off Steam Sale
So there is a 75% off steam sale going on for the base game, bundles, and some of the DLC packs right now. That means some of the packs are $5 right now. So enjoy if you are missing anything.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/47890/
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 21st Sep 2016 at 2:51 AM
Does anyone know if you can add TS3 expansion pack keys from Steam to Origin? Or the other way around (preferably)? And will I still be able to avoid last patch if I own base game TS3 DVD? I might pick up the two last ep's if this works.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 21st Sep 2016 at 2:53 AM
You can add any games to origin.

Farley Farm - After running away in highschool with her boyfriend Hank, Odelia goes back to her childhood home after her father’s death. How will Meredith cope living with her grandmother? How will Rosena cope with her daughter’s return?
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 21st Sep 2016 at 3:00 AM
so just to make sure I'm clear on this, if you buy an expansion or stuff pack on steam do you get a product code that you can enter into origin in order to download a digital copy from there?
Scholar
#5 Old 21st Sep 2016 at 5:33 AM
Can't buy a TS3 expansion on Steam without owning TS3 base game on Steam
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Sep 2016 at 6:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mithrak_nl
Can't buy a TS3 expansion on Steam without owning TS3 base game on Steam

Yeah that is the draw back I found out from another thread. But yes if people buy on steam, they can use that product code to enter it in Origin. Sorry that you can't get it.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 21st Sep 2016 at 6:45 PM
What I have found, since I'll probably buy a few expansions with this sale, is that you can add games to steam. So add the base game to steam, then buy the expansions, then if you want to, add the expansions to origin.

Farley Farm - After running away in highschool with her boyfriend Hank, Odelia goes back to her childhood home after her father’s death. How will Meredith cope living with her grandmother? How will Rosena cope with her daughter’s return?
Scholar
#8 Old 21st Sep 2016 at 10:07 PM
Okay, I just tried and failed to get this to work, so if you could post a step by step "How to get Steam to recognise your Origin-bought base game so that it will let you buy expansions" guide, that would be very very helpful.

no power in the verse can stop me
ge smak daun, gyon op nodotaim
jus nou drein jus daun
Test Subject
#9 Old 21st Sep 2016 at 10:46 PM Last edited by Silent Wolf 101 : 21st Sep 2016 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Add more
I just saw this, and I'm now going to test it.

"Go to Steam > Settings > Downloads tab > Steam library folders. Add the D:\Games folder there and restart Steam. Steam should then be able to find the installed games again."

Or, as I have just found, go to Steam > Games > Add A Non-Steam Game (Still testing this one out)

Also, if you plan to register on origin, this article might be useful: http://techgage.com/article/migrati...tail_to_origin/

EDIT: I can't get them to work... O.O I'll see if I can get the friend (GothicGorilla) to help...
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 22nd Sep 2016 at 12:46 AM
I'm very happy with the Steam version of Sims 3 - for one thing, no push to 1.69.

I have my doubts about using Origin codes to register on Steam - they may not be the right length? You can register your steam codes at the Sims store, though - I know 'cause I've done it.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 22nd Sep 2016 at 5:31 AM Last edited by igazor : 23rd Sep 2016 at 3:27 AM.
Steam and Origin/disc are different platforms. You cannot mix and match installations between them, the adding a non-steam game thingy wouldn't work for EPs for example. The versions of everything TS3 that Steam is providing are slightly different (not to the point where they would affect gameplay) than the Origin/disc versions.

You cannot register Origin or disc purchased games on Steam.

You can go in the other direction, register Steam purchased games with the additional codes provided (just don't actually install them on Steam) on Origin and install the Origin way or add them to an already installed Origin/disc game. But then you get Patch 1.69 if you didn't already have it.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 22nd Sep 2016 at 10:16 AM
I'm curious, if I buy the base game and expansions on steam, how will the patches work? I mean, from what I heard the latest patch really screwed things up and I don't wanna have to run both origin and steam to play my game. Do you need to run steam to play steam-bought games? And is the manual patch easy to install, so that I don't get the newest patch but the one before (1.67 i think?)
#13 Old 22nd Sep 2016 at 10:47 AM Last edited by BloodyScholastic : 22nd Sep 2016 at 10:58 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Vermin
I'm curious, if I buy the base game and expansions on steam, how will the patches work? I mean, from what I heard the latest patch really screwed things up and I don't wanna have to run both origin and steam to play my game.

If you buy base game and EP on Steam, your TS3 (base game+EPs) will be automatically updated to the latest 1.67 patch and latest Store patch. 1.69 is not included. Steam version of TS3 on 1.67 patch by far is very smooth on my gameplay experience.

Quote: Originally posted by Vermin
Do you need to run steam to play steam-bought games? And is the manual patch easy to install, so that I don't get the newest patch but the one before (1.67 i think?)

I usually click TS3.exe (in game bin) to run the game without bypassing TS3 launcher and Steam launcher. For TS3, the game runs independently only by clicking the game.exe. If I play TS3 straight via TS3.exe, how many hours I play TS3 won't be counted on Steam. Other Steam-bought games can be played by clicking the game.exe too but usually the games will be automatically connected to Steam (updates, Steam community info). Total hours played on Steam will be counted.

I moved my downloads to Simblr thebleedingwoodland
My newer quality downloads on my blog The Bleeding Woodland
Field Researcher
#14 Old 22nd Sep 2016 at 4:38 PM
I'm so tempted to get this, just to get off 1.69 and Origin. But, EA has enough of my money at this point.