Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Sep 2016 at 5:48 PM
Default Origin is their own worst enemy.
I don't trust Origin updates to be anything good, ever. At best, it's advertising.

Their latest push for updates gives you an option to not update, but it makes you opt out and log in every time.

Don't they understand that by hassling their customers and blocking them from getting to their game with nagware, people aren't going to buy from them? And come out with a product I want... Sims 5 based on Sims 3, or even more Sims 3 stuff. No "sports" games or horrific mass murder games.

I'm a little bitter about this. I didn't agree to this when I bought the game.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 24th Sep 2016 at 4:50 PM
My sister and I just bought 6 packs on Steam and may switch over, neither one of us is happy with the new Origin update.

Farley Farm - After running away in highschool with her boyfriend Hank, Odelia goes back to her childhood home after her father’s death. How will Meredith cope living with her grandmother? How will Rosena cope with her daughter’s return?
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 24th Sep 2016 at 5:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GothicGorilla
My sister and I just bought 6 packs on Steam and may switch over, neither one of us is happy with the new Origin update.

Trouble is, EA just makes more money from that.

If money weren't tight for me at the moment, I'd be very tempted to just re-purchase everything I have except on Steam so I could kiss Origin goodbye. But even if money weren't tight for me, I think I'd go out of my way to avoid letting EA get the money from selling me on Steam the games it had already sold me on Origin.

The awful way EA is treating Origin customers will hurt them in selling future games. Such that if, as Emmett suggests, they made a Sims 5 that was actually an expansion upon Sims 3 (e.g. open neighborhood but with more features, the extra memory usage being made work by being 64 bit), and of course incorporating the more popular features in TS4, I'd normally be inclined to buy it-- or buy it at least if and when enough mods/CC became available (as The Sims games were never that great out of the box: It's modders and CC creators that turn the great concepts inadequately implemented into a great game). I'd even accept that they would hold some features back that we'd have to buy expansion packs to get, within reason. But...if it's not offered in a non-Origin route I probably still won't buy that if they make it, because I won't pay for more forced Origin garbage. If they made a TS5 title along the lines I describe, I'd probably buy it through Steam if it were offered that way, though again even then only if/when enough mods/CC were available, and with some reluctance to pay money to EA the way they've handled things with 1.69 and all that has come with it.

Friends don't let friends use EA Story.

Use either Awesome or Twallan's.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 24th Sep 2016 at 6:35 PM
The only version of Sims 3 I have is the Steam one, and I am so glad I don't have to deal with Origin or 1.69.

I will not buy an origin-only Sims game.
Scholar
#5 Old 29th Sep 2016 at 5:14 AM
So @Emmett Brown, what's the status on the Origin update? Is it still causing problems for you?

I ask because Origin is still asking me to download it & I'm still refusing, and playing offline, but honestly it would be less hassle for me if I could just give in and let them install it...but I've been waiting until I heard that the problems caused by that last update were mitigated.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th Sep 2016 at 3:34 PM
I run three Sims 3 installs; one for my game, one for CAW (different mods and EP/SP) and one for my daughter's game on a different computer.

Basically, Origin was causing problems with my daughter's computer. It would no long log in in "offline" mode. So, I had to update to get her game to run. She doesn't play Sims very often, but Peggle and "My Sims".

I also had the power go out and thus, the wireless. So, I thought I'd work on my world during the blackout (long life laptop battery). Nope. Origin wanted me to log in or no game.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 30th Sep 2016 at 1:23 AM
I've been brave (stupid?) and updated. I can play in offline mode after I played each game online for a bit. That was a little annoying but nothing serious.
My issue is that when I start Origin now there is no way to shut it off when in offline mode. I used to be able to right click on the icon in the task bar and a menu would come up listing my games and having the exit option. No more. So I can close it down with the task menu (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) or just let windows do it when shutting down, but I have no way to close it with its own program. If I go online to the Origin site the option is there, but I prefer not to.
Not a big deal but a change I don't like, as I haven't heard anyone else mention it I may just have a bug. The bug thing could be true as windows did a massive update shortly after the Origin update.
I still haven't updated my laptop just in case something else could go wrong, and I need to be able to play without the internet on it.
( Note to self....log in and play Peggle, such a cute game and one I had forgot to update!)
Scholar
#8 Old 30th Sep 2016 at 1:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
I run three Sims 3 installs; one for my game, one for CAW (different mods and EP/SP) and one for my daughter's game on a different computer.

Basically, Origin was causing problems with my daughter's computer. It would no long log in in "offline" mode. So, I had to update to get her game to run. She doesn't play Sims very often, but Peggle and "My Sims".

I also had the power go out and thus, the wireless. So, I thought I'd work on my world during the blackout (long life laptop battery). Nope. Origin wanted me to log in or no game.

tried log in checking "remember me" and then starting in "offline mode"? It should do the trick. There's no way to get rid of this malware (because it *is* malware) if you're on the S4 or S3 1.69 level, but at last you can turn to idle the processes and lock it down in the firewall. Still it's not like SimSpoiledCity at the beginning. For now.

I'm a bit surprised nobody sued them for this - yeah I know that's a big nasty, dragon, toddler-devourer company, but bigger were sliced in the Court. And they say Americans loves litigate for any anything...

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 30th Sep 2016 at 2:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
tried log in checking "remember me" and then starting in "offline mode"? It should do the trick.

Should, because if it didn't do the trick, that would make "remember me" checkbox would be completely useless. Well, guess what? Like Origin, that check box is completely useless.

Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
I'm a bit surprised nobody sued them for this - yeah I know that's a big nasty, dragon, toddler-devourer company, but bigger were sliced in the Court. And they say Americans loves litigate for any anything...

Suing them would be a good idea, until they blame the lawsuit and their loss of money for not making Sims 5.
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 30th Sep 2016 at 4:07 AM
What makes anyone think TS5 would be any better, lawsuit or not?

I am surprised people still would hope that EA makes a Sims5. If so, I expect an even more overpriced shitty product with complete online control through shitty Origin. Excuse my shitty language.

It's time for someone else to try. High time. I mean, how much worse could it get?
Scholar
#12 Old 30th Sep 2016 at 4:31 AM
I have 1.69 and while Origin keeps asking me to update they continue to allow me to sign in and play offline without the new Origin update. I don't know why. Just like I don't know why Firefox insists that my 47.01 version is up to date, leaving me out of the mess at Wikispaces. So anyway based on what everyone says here I will continue to not update until I hear that a future update has fixed the problems with this one or I run into a situation where I am compelled.
Scholar
#13 Old 30th Sep 2016 at 3:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
Suing them would be a good idea, until they blame the lawsuit and their loss of money for not making Sims 5.

I'd not put any cent on such bet.

Just like the SimCity and many other franchises and genres - it's done. Some other, smaller company may try to revive it's classic form for fussils, but the actual developer won't. Expect another crippled mobile game (whichever game anyway). That's it.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
dodgy builder
#14 Old 30th Sep 2016 at 4:04 PM Last edited by Volvenom : 30th Sep 2016 at 4:19 PM.
Americans always tend to sue someone, in Europe we instead run to the competition, or move on, grow up, whatever. Life too short for lawsuits.

You can't really force a company to make a follow-up. It doesn't work like that. I also don't believe the people at EA understand what sims is all about. They will just make something that looks like the other games they make, without realizing that people are different, or what it means to be creative. Creative people use games for something different, for us it's a tool, or perhaps even a job. It doesn't even need to be something we do for pleasure, it's much bigger than that. For me it's between painting on a canvas or making a house in Sims. A lot of people don't really understand what it means to be creative, and therefore I'm not sure this company is the right one to take this francise further, but will they ever sell it?

Quote: Originally posted by lucy kemnitzer
I have 1.69 and while Origin keeps asking me to update they continue to allow me to sign in and play offline without the new Origin update. I don't know why. Just like I don't know why Firefox insists that my 47.01 version is up to date, leaving me out of the mess at Wikispaces. So anyway based on what everyone says here I will continue to not update until I hear that a future update has fixed the problems with this one or I run into a situation where I am compelled.

Yes I suspect it will be the same for me. I haven't built anything in ts3 since I started using my new comp, but I let me update to 1.67. I tried the superpatcher, but I didn't get any longer than 1.63, so I tried that update to 1.67 button on the launcher. I now have 1.67, but if I can run the game without Origin, I'm going to be happy for as long as it lasts.

I have discs from before 2012, so if I get fed up, I will probably just reinstall without internet connection and make do with what patchlevel it lets me have as long as it's not 1.69.