Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 11:18 PM
Default Jagged diagonal roof
Hello all. I'm trying to use the diagonal roof but look at what happens. I used Roof slope angle 28 which makes all the roofs match except for the jaggedy part. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

[IMG][/IMG]

[I]Pet loving children will love my new book, "My Talking Dachshund", available at Amazon.com[/I
]
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 1:15 AM
That's why I didn't use roof on a section that normally would be roofed on this house. https://www.modthesims.info/d/515224 I had issues like that and others on the hexagonal part. I just used close coloured floor tiles and a fence edge on the diagonal roof area and did a dummy wall on the hexagonal to make it taller. I fiddled and fiddled and I don't know how long I tweaked and fiddled, but that was all I could come up with. I can't say I am really happy with that flat area even now, but it looks a whole lot better than the messed up diagonals. I posted it on here and didn't get any better answers. EA messed up diagonal roofs.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 2:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
That's why I didn't use roof on a section that normally would be roofed on this house. http://www.modthesims.info/d/515224 I had issues like that and others on the hexagonal part. I just used close coloured floor tiles and a fence edge on the diagonal roof area and did a dummy wall on the hexagonal to make it taller. I fiddled and fiddled and I don't know how long I tweaked and fiddled, but that was all I could come up with. I can't say I am really happy with that flat area even now, but it looks a whole lot better than the messed up diagonals. I posted it on here and didn't get any better answers. EA messed up diagonal roofs.

I truly appreciate your feedback. I was wondering if it was just my game. Whenever I've tried a diagonal roof, the walls stick up around it or the jagged part shows. I guess I'll have to give up and redesign that area of the house. Thanks so much for your reply!

[I]Pet loving children will love my new book, "My Talking Dachshund", available at Amazon.com[/I
]
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 2:56 AM
It's a real shame how diagonal roofs work in game. I don't think I've ever used one where it has looked good.
Thanks for the comment on my house thread too. I'm probably far more critical of that roof because nothing I did looked the way I wanted it to.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#5 Old 12th Aug 2014 at 10:43 PM Last edited by Pygsmyemm : 12th Aug 2014 at 10:54 PM.
Your problem here is the right side of the house needs to be made wider so when you place the roof it will line up in the middle of the other roof, the wider the area you build the roof on the higher it goes up so it's just not gone up high enough to line up with the other side of the roof because that side of the house is wider (or both sides are the same size and i can't tell because of the angle of the photo). Delete the triangle roof though and then once you have connected both sides of the roof build the triangle roof on top of it.

For corners always use the first 2 manual roofs if your doing flat slanted roofs, the second flat slanted roof will help you with those corners as it blends in with first flat slatned roof, you have to place the second slanted roof all on that side though or around that corner with the triangle roof or it won't blend in, there will always be crease lines, can't get it perfect still though as the ends of roofs keep sticking out of each other liek the triangle roof on that corner, i know it's a pain but nothing i did worked to stop it happening.

When i built Sookie's house from True Blood i built a similar roof with the triangle roof on all sides above some windows and i built it on top of the second floor where the bedrooms were, while the kitchen, the back porch and the front porch on the ground floor has flat slanted roofs, the porch was tricky as it had a corner too, When building the triangle roof on top of the bedrooms i left some squares along the side to build the triangle roof the other way to make it seem like it was blending in, but sadly the end of the roof i built on the top in the other direction still sticks out but it's the best you can get it like this:

That corner on the front porch i placed the second slanted roof all on that side from the third support beam on the porch to the corner to make that diagonal line, then i placed it around the other side of it too then i placed the first slanted flat roof i was using along the rest of it and made it all the same angle with the roof angle tool, 23 angle works nicely as anything higher than that and it's just too high, so use 23 or less when building these flat slanted roofs it slopes way too much.

Hope this helps
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 12th Aug 2014 at 11:32 PM
That isn't a diagonal roof. We are talking about the diagonal roof pieces. Although if you know some ways to make diagonal roof pieces behave I would love some close up pics.

~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#7 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 3:34 AM Last edited by Pygsmyemm : 13th Aug 2014 at 4:13 AM.
It's just an example of how you can do it and it creates the effect of it being diagonal like on the corner side above the front porch, using diagonal roofs diden't work i tired that before i asked for help on building that part of the roof indeed they have messed up the diagonals roofs in TS2, can't even get it perfect when you use other roofs too just not possible unless you just build a house with a bunch of squared or rectangular rooms, i tried to stop it sticking out but it looks like some sort of glitch that makes the side of the roofs stick out more than it should, this side is the worst lol:
Notice how the end of slanted roof goes longer on the right side? no idea why it did that but it did and it''s stupid... but i can't stop it happening no matter how many times i try to replace it so all you can do is just do your best with building it and put up with the ends sticking out. I will go in my game and see what i can do but i can't say the diagonal roofs will work for me ether id have to use other roofs. I would suggest putting flooring under the roofing too for a more stable roof, i do this with all my houses.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 4:37 AM
I know with the house I posted above no roofing would work on that area. Like with Anne's building up there it calls for diagonal but because diagonals are messed up the only alternative is tile with a border.

I can't really see what is going on with your roof there, is the house on split levels?

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#9 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 5:07 AM
I haven't tried this with a diagonal roof - but, sometimes when I have a tricky section that just isn't letting me 'roof' the way I want too...
What I do is: lock in the sections that I want to keep (click the lock button) and then hit 'auto roof' - if that doesn't work, and I'm getting more desperate (LOL) I hit 'auto roof' from the beginning (in other words, delete all roofs and start over) Then, I delete the auto-roofed sections I don't like, and put them back to how I wanted them.
Does that help?

Good luck!

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Instructor
#10 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 5:13 AM
No lol no idea where that side roof part came from lol they just appear like magic, this is what i came up with on triciamanly's house:

I used the short gabbed roof all on the top where that corner is, his is more far out so i made the diagonal roof more in and it blends in more, you will still get the corners sticking out in places though but i managed to make the corners sticking out look look quite pretty lol but it will stick out on the other side near the corner but only there. for some reason the corners go really uneven, sometimes even with the gabbed roofs 1 side will be longer than the other so that's why i just think it's a roof glitch.

You have to place the roof a bit at a time though because it only lets you place it in 3 or 4 square at a time on rectangular roof tops, the diagonal roof i placed a bit at a time too, i placed the diagonal roof on first then the straight gabbed roof across each side, the gabbed roof is meant to stick out on the sides as the description says but it's not great for straight sides which is why it sticks out but i'm clueless why it goes so uneven like and same for slanted roofs. The diagonal is at a 42 degree angle, the other parts of the roof is at a 30 degree angle.