Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Aug 2014 at 6:24 AM
Default A Modern-ish(?) house
Hi!

So this is my first time posting here...
Ever...

But I really want feedback on my first house made with the purpose of looking stylish from the start (Usually I build as my family grows, no "motherlode"-ing or anything.)
I really wanted to make something enjoyable, so I hope you can tell me what you think, and what I can do to improve it.

Thankyou in advance!
(I'm realizing now that it's a bit empty, So I'll definitely add some more stuff)
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 4th Aug 2014 at 6:48 AM
What is the top area? (first picture)

I would reduce the amount of glass, or is that on the front only?

I think the main things are you need to decide on is style. The glass and house decor say modern, but the black fence is more Victorian as is the garden. It's a pretty garden, it just doesn't go with the house. It also needs some other colour to brighten it up. Black plumbing and furniture and black wall and floor is just too much black. Black is stylish, but it needs something such as white or red. The driveway area looks nice although I would remove the room divider from the footpath.

The main things are the sims in the house and the fact the lot isn't flat. You would need to rebuild a copy on a flat lot without sims. Even removing sims from the file isn't known to be completely safe as they leave references behind. Lots need to be flat unless there is a reason for them not to be as it tears neigbourhood terrain and people won't be able to place your lot without it distorting their terrain.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#3 Old 4th Aug 2014 at 2:11 PM
Personally, I love all the glass; but it will mean that you'll want curtains/blinds or to set up a privacy screen of trees so that the house doesn't feel like a fishbowl when people pass by on the street.

You don't have to take out large sections of black; just have a few more contrasts, like red trim on the windows or white plumbing fixtures. A dark but not black carpet would keep the overall effect and allow the black furniture to pop. You've got the right idea with the white statuary, but I would go for more abstract pieces and put some of them inside.

The hot tub area looks nice, but having part of the house on a slab and part on a raised section works better with the stage tool than with a foundation. Notice how the hot tub disappears when you're on the bottom floor? By using the foundation, you turned the hot tub into the second floor, so you will only be able to see it from the second-floor deck. That will get annoying in about two seconds.

I would not have the piano in the bedroom. That's just asking for trouble when one partner wants to sleep and the other wants to play the piano. Even a half-wall demarcating the bed area will forestall that problem.

Put things on that second-floor deck. I'd make it party space, I think - seating, a central fireplace or stove for cold nights, a bar, music, Myshuno game if you can stand how they try to play it when alone.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#4 Old 4th Aug 2014 at 2:28 PM
You could make the bedroom smaller and put the piano in a separate room, or make a TV room and put the piano in the lounge area.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!