Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Aug 2023 at 6:41 PM
Default Floating Heads
I have a problem with some kilts. They were fine in Bodyshop, but when I looked at them in game the child kilts didn't show up at all. Floating head.

I can't remember what can cause that. Nothing looks out of place.

Other kilts showed up, but had a ring around the foot (pictured).

I did have a weird thing in Bodyshop where there seemed to be a gap between the leg and the boot, but seeing as it only showed in outfit choice I had ignored it. I don't know if it could have messed anything up.

Thanks for any help.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 11th Aug 2023 at 7:30 PM
I'd think it's an issue somewhere in the mesh and/or texture resources, but exactly where is a bit difficult to guess.

Can you upload the mesh and a recolor? Otherwise it's just pure guesswork.
(I can think of a few things, but it's easier if I don't have to type up all the things).

Just as a tip - depending on the UVmapping, and unless there is a very good reason for keeping the legs in the mesh (multi-shoe, or shoe-less option, or some such), it could be better to remove the legs around where they meet the boots, both to remove some unnecessary polys, and to avoid any issues with feet sticking out with some animations. If they're supposed to stay hidden anyway.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Aug 2023 at 9:38 AM
http://www.simfileshare.net/download/4093411/

The legs are cut off just below where they meet the boots, but not close enough to have a gap.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 12th Aug 2023 at 3:12 PM
There could be something wrong with the skeleton. I'm getting the "huge joints" issue when I import it into Milkshape, which sometimes suggests there's something not quite right (double skeleton, wrong skeleton, etc.). Could just be you've not set the joints to the right size, but they still usually don't tend to go all iffy like that if they're all right. If you get any trouble with this, import a bottom child mesh (extract one with SimPE from an ingame mesh, don't import the morphs or you get some issues with the naming), import yours over (with morphs), check the naming, and it should be fixed.

The ring around the legs is just because the mesh doesn't meet the leg (there's an actual gap between the top of the shoes and leg). Close that gap, and the problem should go away (at least on the child mesh).

The boots also have some UV issues (toe and underside, plus they lack texture on the top and a little bit down, so that would further explain why they appear to show up with the "empty" ring).

The "Sporran" TXMT is set as "blend". Could be some visual issues with that (opaque textures usually get an inside-out effect).

Everything else looks fine, structure-wise, but haven't looked at it ingame.

Not sure about the picture of the kid - is that meant to be one of these recolors? If so, have you deleted cache files, and do you have sim/detail and Texture details set on high ingame? If not, cache files can hold back old info, and the settings need tobe on high for meshes to show properly.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Aug 2023 at 7:00 PM
Thanks. I'll take a look at it.

Sporran is set to blend so it can be removed if wanted.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 12th Aug 2023 at 9:03 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 12th Aug 2023 at 9:14 PM.
As long as it's on a separate mesh layer, and not tied to SimSkin, it can be removed via the alpha or TXMT, so you don't need to worry about it in recolors where it's showing. If you want to hide it, you can hide it when needed.

(invisible texture + "stdMatAlphaBlendMode: none" & "stdMatAlphaTestEnabled: 1" should work file for hiding textures in Bodyshop/CAS, and you can use that setting for the visible one as well)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Aug 2023 at 1:00 AM
Thanks!

Sims 2 is weird. Tried reimporting the child mesh with a cu bottom and that seemed to fix the problem, but I had forgotten that the AM version had the same problem and somehow altering the child kilt fixed that too. XD

Legs go down farther than where the boots start, so I'll ignore the ring thing. I don't really understand the UV/texture issues on the boots as I haven't changed anything about them and I have them in other outfits.

The sporran is on a separate layer, set to SimStandardMaterial and stdMatAlphaBlendMode: blend, so that I can remove it by hiding the alpha.

Just got to figure out what's giving me the ring around the foot on the sexy feet mesh now.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 14th Aug 2023 at 3:29 AM
Just an explanation for the UVmapping on the boots, plus the gap, and what it likeley has to do with the rings.

It's either the UVmapping or the gap, or a combination of both.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 14th Aug 2023 at 12:31 PM
Ugh, thanks! I never even noticed that problem because the boots are so black and my eyesight is so bad lol. Turns out that I presumed that the alpha would be in the same position as the adult boots and didn't change it (never presume). I'll have to fix it.

I wish I could remember what causes that ring around the foot on the sexy foot mesh. I'm sure I've seen it somewhere before, but Google says no. My graphics settings are all set to max and I checked to make sure that it wasn't a dodgy accessory that he was wearing.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 14th Aug 2023 at 4:16 PM
Is that one a different mesh? You want me to take a look at that one, too?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 14th Aug 2023 at 4:24 PM
Mad Poster
#12 Old 14th Aug 2023 at 6:24 PM
I can't see anything wrong with it (UV map, textures or mesh). The only thing I can think of is if the top has something yellow on it, and the texture is bleeding over onto the bottom because of the UVmap on the feet.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 15th Aug 2023 at 6:45 PM
Well I tested the kilt on a different child and no ring. It appears to be a bug on the individual child and not to do with the kilt.

Thanks for all your help!