Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jul 2005 at 8:40 PM
Default Vampire Bloodlines, The Masquerade.
Anyone play this?

I hope the vampires in NL are like this!
Advertisement
Banned
#2 Old 11th Jul 2005 at 8:42 PM
I love the older version, I'm getting the new one soon. The people I talked to who have it said that it hwas great graphics, and its worthe getting. I'll let ya know when I play it.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 12th Jul 2005 at 12:41 AM
I'm currently playing this and I like it. I never played the other Vampire games before. You can choose from seven clans to be in and each has it's own unique Vampiric abilities called Disciplines. It's kind of open-ended, you can do quests and side quests at your own leisure so gameplay is different for everyone. I like it, you should try it if you like RPG types.

What you keep deep down inside,
You don't know what will be.
Looking for you in darkened corners,
Descend into madness with me.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 12th Jul 2005 at 1:23 AM
AND there are some mods to get which act to expand it. I love the vampires. They look great and they act so much like a real vampire would act (well--according to hollywood anyway, only reference I have...)
Moderator of Camera Models
retired moderator
#5 Old 12th Jul 2005 at 1:56 AM
Massive fan of this game. My fav release for 2004.

I'm my magazine's end of year wrap up three writers (myself and two others) gave it our pick for game of the year. Alas we were outvoted with No 1 spot going to the brilliant Half-Life 2 but in the editorial of that issue the editor did note that the three votes for Bloodlines came from the only three writers on the mag who had played it. I think that says a lot about Troika's baby (although their best game is still Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura).

And just because I consider it my duty to plug these whenever this game is mentioned feel free to pick up my Vampire: Bloodlines sims over here. At the moment there is only Velvet, Damsel and Jeanette done but I'm working on Nines Rodriguez as we speak since I'm on holidays.

*** Games Journalist with the magazines PC Powerplay and Hyper ***

And guys don't say a game is 'addicting'. That is a horrible massacre of the English language. The word is 'addictive'. Thank you. :)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#6 Old 12th Jul 2005 at 3:27 AM
So they say, the Vampires is running on a Halflife 2 engine. Whatever that means, I have little idea. But it does say to me that the games must be very comparable.

We've only had the game for a few hours and we are big fans too so far.

Elprez--what do you think of the addon clans and the patches? Are the patches 'official' patches? Is the addon from modders or from the game makers?

I've only run one quick search for mods on it, so I don't really know what is available or even if the game really needs the patch...any info is much appreciated.

LOVE the vampires! I am already planning on making Jeanette a sim (from the bar in the first part of the game, don't know if she is thru out.) And Jack is fabulous and calls out to be a sim too. What great detail they have!

I can only hope that Maxiod Sim Vampires are near as well made.

And thanks for the link to your vampire girl. I got her. She will be the first custom 'real' vampire in my game
retired moderator
#7 Old 12th Jul 2005 at 3:46 AM
You'll find in that Damsel post links to Velvet and Jeanette to.

As far as the patches go... use them, they aren't official but they still fix a lot of bugs. You'll definately want them so you can avoid the Society of Leopold bug which causes the game to not move past a certain story point without crashing.

It is a VERY bug riddled game so patch up.

As for the add on clans I have to say I've not tried any.

And guys don't say a game is 'addicting'. That is a horrible massacre of the English language. The word is 'addictive'. Thank you. :)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 12th Jul 2005 at 4:00 AM
Thanks, ELprez.

hmmm missed the links to Jeanette and Velvet....*off to find the vamps*
\
(got excited about having her and didn't read the whole post )
Test Subject
#9 Old 12th Jul 2005 at 9:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ElPresidente
the Society of Leopold bug which causes the game to not move past a certain story point without crashing.

i played the game to the end (with a fan-patch, as the official patch was still in work) and was furious about the bug. they brought a full-priced game on the market, knowing noone could finish it. but meanwhile the developers are out of business and it serves them right.
retired moderator
#10 Old 12th Jul 2005 at 9:40 AM
Not wholly Troika's fault. They were pushed to meet deadlines by their publisher. They wanted to work on a patch but were not given the opportunity... yes the developers have since gone under but it was publishers who were the bastards in this scenario. Afterall Vampire was done by the same team behind Fallout and Arcanum.

Scholar
#11 Old 12th Jul 2005 at 1:01 PM
I did play Bloodlines, though that's the only one.

And I just have one thing to say.

GOTHY GOTH GOTH GOTHITY GOTH!

Honestly, who came up with the notion that all Vampires shop at Hot-Topic?

Granted, I guess it makes some sense....and it's a handy reminder that I'd make a lousey vampire..I'd be the only one dressed in a white pollo shit with a tie. Or worse, a surplus MVD uniform.

Oh, and it was a good game too. I'll probably reinstall it onto my new computer.

"We're on sob day two of Operation Weeping-Bald-Eagle-Liberty-Never-Forget-Freedom-Watch sniff no word yet sob on our missing patriot Glenn Beck sob as alleged-President Hussein Obama shows his explicit support sniff for his fellow communists by ruling out the nuclear option."
Test Subject
#12 Old 12th Jul 2005 at 3:33 PM
I have that game and my only complain is that combat is a little awkward, but ceases to be a problem once you get used to it. I found no game killing bugs.

The thing I like the most is the dialog, especially the Malkavian. They say stuff like "When you say jump I say where is the cliff" or "It depends to which of my personalities you're talking to" and refer to other characters by names that don't make sense first, but then you advance in the game and learn more about them and you say "oh, so that's why". The NPCs' dialog is great also, Jeannette describes a necklace saying "Oohh, it's beautiful, it's like a knight in shining armor, hanging from a hose". You get to like or hate this characters, LaCroix is a stuck up bastard and contrasts perfectly with Miles, who is just this guy who really didn't wanted to lead, but couldn't stand there doing nothing either.
The game has a lot of references to movies and tv series, you can see Duncan McLeod in a bar, you use the rice to maggots trick from Lost Boys, and others I can't remember.

"If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. The free mind is no barking dog to be tethered on a ten-foot chain."
- Adlai E. Stevenson
retired moderator
#13 Old 12th Jul 2005 at 10:11 PM
By Miles do you mean Nines?

Interesting how people have different takes on the characters. Personally I thought little of both LaCroix and Nines... Nines was a self righteous turd... no time for him at all.

Test Subject
#14 Old 12th Jul 2005 at 10:50 PM
Damn, yeah, Nines "the one between 8 and 10".
I think I liked him because of how he saw the rules of the Camarilla has common sense, as something that truly needs no hierarchical order. Also he seems like a chaotic good character, so I can relate.

So Pres, did you joined the Kuei-Jin in the end or no one?

"If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. The free mind is no barking dog to be tethered on a ten-foot chain."
- Adlai E. Stevenson
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#15 Old 16th Jul 2005 at 7:10 PM
So far, this game seems endless --a good thing here . It has such versitility. There are so many options and ways to play. Each clan and each sex plays a totally different way. Very good game.
retired moderator
#16 Old 17th Jul 2005 at 12:49 AM
Unfortunately the final quarter of the game is nowhere near as good as the first 3/4 which is a real shame.

Anyway here was my second look comment on the game from PCPP #110

Quote: Originally posted by Nathan Cocks
Not everyone is going to enjoy Bloodlines. This is not so much an indictment on the game itself but a recognition of the fact that not everyone has the requisite patience to put up with all the bugs and glitches that plague the title. Those people who can overlook these issues will be blessed with what is one of the most enjoyable RPG romps in some time.

Best deescribed as Deus Ex with a heavier RPG leaning, the standout feature of the game is its maturity. These days when you mention the word mature in the context of a computer game it is invariably a reference sexual or violent content. Sure there is plenty of that in this game but what I'm talking about is true maturity, an adult handling of some gritty subject matter in a non-sensationalist fashion. Not since Torment has a game delivered on this point so deftly and it is one of the reasons you will find yourself lost in the world Troika has created.

Yes it is buggy, and the game does fumble the ball a touch in the final acts, but taken as a whole, Bloodlines is the kind of smart gaming experience all PC games should aim for.

Forum Resident
#17 Old 17th Jul 2005 at 1:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ElPresidente
Not wholly Troika's fault. They were pushed to meet deadlines by their publisher. They wanted to work on a patch but were not given the opportunity... yes the developers have since gone under but it was publishers who were the bastards in this scenario. After all Vampire was done by the same team behind Fallout and Arcanum.
When did they fold? I saw their demo booth last year at gencon when they were showing off the game, very impressive. I love how they had all the girls there demoing the game dressed up like the girls in the game, even got pictures of the girls. The girl dressed as "Jeanette Voerman" was probably the best of them all.

Erasing One Big Astounding Mistake All-around
retired moderator
#18 Old 17th Jul 2005 at 4:37 AM
Shortly after Bloodlines was released. I think it was Jan or Feb of this year. Being a contract developer Troika could only survive for as long as people were giving them jobs. They simply didn't have a post Vampire game lined up so once that was done and their pay cheque collected there was simply no more financial backing keeping them running.

Lab Assistant
#19 Old 17th Jul 2005 at 5:20 AM
The Hotel level was really great... scared me.

I was disappointed with the use of the Source Engine up until that point of the game.
retired moderator
#20 Old 17th Jul 2005 at 8:59 AM
Everyone goes on about the Hotel level... it only made me spooked once (when in the bowels of the hotel and you see the ghost of the little girl run past you) outside of that it has nothing on levels like The Shalebridge Cradle from Thief.

Lab Assistant
#21 Old 17th Jul 2005 at 4:28 PM
Yeah but the hotel level is also the first time you see them actually do something with the physics of Source... and it was the kitchen that got me, but the whole environemnt and the music was great.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 18th Jul 2005 at 4:16 AM
The Hotel level ( in Santa Monica) had great atmoshere without being too overly cheesy, and the thing that freaked me out in one incident was not the ghost herself, but when you saw her quickly flit down the upstairs hallway and I didnt chase her right away, but when I panned the camera around again to chase her I saw a fleeting glimpse of her running around the corner almost beckoning me.It was almost like because I didnt go after her right away she came back as If to say "okay where are you?" I never saw that before in a game and that impressed and creeped me out. Did that happen to anyone else, I would like to know?

What you keep deep down inside,
You don't know what will be.
Looking for you in darkened corners,
Descend into madness with me.
Test Subject
#23 Old 18th Jul 2005 at 6:21 AM
yeah i own and love this game and i notice the actual game play is terriable...chunky, buggy, hard to control......but the story behind the action keeps me playing it over and over.....and yeah....the hotel has a certain something......no joke, every time i play this level i play it with goose bumps all over my flesh

any game that can evoke that kind of responce get my vote

"sticks and stones may break my bones ...but whips and chains excite me...uhhh...come to think of it...so do sticks and stones"
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#24 Old 19th Jul 2005 at 1:26 PM
The hotel level was pitch black. Not even turning the gamma all the way up and wearing night-vision goggles while playing helped, and the exercise became a matter of stumbling blindly around in the dark mashing the "action" button at random. In fact, most of the game is pretty pitch black. Sucks being a creature of darkness with no night vision, even when you turn the gamma as high as it will go.

And the hotel wasn't all that scary. Once you could actually see anything, there wasn't anything really that disturbing about it. I mean, it's just a ghost.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 19th Jul 2005 at 1:57 PM
It wasn't pitch black dark on my box... <_<

Have you calibrated your monitor lately?

Page 1 of 2