Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Quick Easy Hair Binner - for hair, brows, beards - UPDATED 7/10/2011 v1.1.02

by CatOfEvilGenius Posted 19th Feb 2011 at 12:28 AM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 2:54 PM by Nysha

255 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 161 Feedback Posts, 93 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 4 of 11
Lab Assistant
#76 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 2:29 AM
i was wondering if i have to bin the following kind of problem hairs i have. i have one hair set that wont shop up in bodyshoppe , the mesh or textures wont show as if it there , but i think i have seen it in teh CAS. isntthat wierd? it a coolsims81 female hair redone by liegened , kidnapethesandyclaw snowwhite. i got it from gos i think, i forget. but ti seem some hairs dont show right, is that what binning is needed for perhaps?
Lab Assistant
#77 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 2:41 AM
something occured to me. now that we can bin more than 4 colors , for instances , i can bin all the different brown hairs that belong the same mesh, i was wondering about the grey hairs . do the grey hair stick with it or do they become removed too .?
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#78 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 3:50 AM
mamxnb

problem hair: I cannot tell you for certain unless I see the hair packages. However, I suspect the problem cannot be fixed by my hair binner. If those packages do not show up in BodyShop, but you sometimes see them in CAS, they are broken. Where in CAS do you see them? Do you see them in the CAS catalog, or, I suspect, do you only see them if you create a random sim? If hair does not show up in the catalog, only on randomly created sims, then it was incorrectly made, and is likely missing a BINX resource or has a bad BINX resource. My hair binner does not do anything with BINX resources, it only alters GZPS, TXMT, TXTR, XHTN, and XTOL.

If you start with a hairfile that has brown hair with elder grey, then what happens to the elder grey hair depends on the "1 Grey" checkbox. If the "1 Grey" checkbox is checked, then black, brown, blond, and red will all use the same 1 grey. Only 1 file will keep the grey texture, the other 3 files will lose their grey texture. If the "1 Grey" checkbox is NOT checked, then each hair color can keep its own grey.

If you familify, and add more than 4 colors to a family (which I do not recommend), and you do "1 Grey", you need to be very careful and make sure each time you bin, you include the file that has the grey, and you always say that is the file that has the grey for that family.

Quote: Originally posted by Areyan
i'm about to re-try these recolours with the new version... i'll let you know how i get on, thanks for the reply.

In response to your PM, yes, as you correctly surmised, you need to move the original, unbinned files out of Downloads (or delete them). You should only have one copy of the hair, or it will not work right.

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Lab Assistant
#79 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 4:19 AM
hi cat
the broken hair files mm not sure what happend, i do think they did show up in the catalogue in CAS.but i think u are right they are broken problem somewhere. yeah the problem way to big for me to fix. i think one was garden of shadow creator hair and another was something buffy jodeyln did called -buffy peggy110122 pookleted , i think it may have showed and then not . i can t even make the hair binning tool open the file to bin, so that would make it a messy file i guess.

i did bin more than one brown hair for the brown color bin, adn it worked well. i did use the same black with grey file each time so that hte grey hair is there correctly and just kept using the same black , same blond , same red , then a new diff brown each time , i did that many times just like pretending i only had 1 brown. i could just pick only 4 hairs and leave it at that i suppose. it rather dizzying to do that many family hairs , maybe i should wait till the new hair binning tool version that can do that perhaps?
Lab Assistant
#80 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 9:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CatOfEvilGenius
In response to your PM, yes, as you correctly surmised, you need to move the original, unbinned files out of Downloads (or delete them). You should only have one copy of the hair, or it will not work right.

thank you, thank you! i knew i was doing something wrong, lol. this tool is amazing and now that i know what i'm doing a bit better i can appreciate it in all of it's beautiful simplicity. i love it, thanks again for making such a time-saving and valuable tool for us all. :D
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#81 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 4:38 PM
O.O Wow, this is going to be SUPER helpful. THANK YOU!!!
Test Subject
#82 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 4:44 PM
This sounds really, REALLY, REALLY awesome. So please, PLEASE, PLEASE make a mac version.
Test Subject
#83 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 10:11 PM
Hi cat,
I don't know if it's something about me/my computer, but the binner doesn't work. I've followed your instructions but the binned hair/eyebrows just disappear, like they've just been removed. I've also tried to delete the cache and the thumbnails, but nothing.
Any possibility that it's windows 7 affecting it?
Instructor
#84 Old 23rd Feb 2011 at 12:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by arasmerenwen
Hi cat,
I don't know if it's something about me/my computer, but the binner doesn't work. I've followed your instructions but the binned hair/eyebrows just disappear, like they've just been removed. I've also tried to delete the cache and the thumbnails, but nothing.
Any possibility that it's windows 7 affecting it?

Did you untick "decustomize"? If not, the binned hairs are there among the basegame hairs, without a custom star.
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#85 Old 23rd Feb 2011 at 2:56 AM
arasmerenwen What Gwenke said. (I will leave decustomize unticked be default in the next version.)

Test Subject
#86 Old 23rd Feb 2011 at 3:14 PM
What can I say except: ooops!
Thank you gwenke and cat, I'll untick decustomize and try (but I expect it to work this way). I'll give you feedback when I do it.
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#87 Old 24th Feb 2011 at 6:49 PM
excerpt from a PM

Quote: Originally posted by Quinctia
At the most basic usage level, it wants to behave oddly with some of the texture previewing. I was looking at Nymphy's retexture of Helga's Female Hair #66 and the textures were leaping out of bounds of the program window. Also, the "OK" dialog button on this screen wasn't functioning properly...I'd go back to the main screen and I'd have "foo" in the dialog box instead of the filename I'd selected. (It DOES work properly if I double-click on the filename within the explorer window for its folder.)

Thank you, Quinctia, for reporting this. I have put it on the "hit with a hammer until it works" priority fix list.

Mad Poster
#88 Old 24th Feb 2011 at 8:08 PM
Hiya Cat,

I'm finding some strange anomalies too...

If I browse through and preview all the different textures in each of the four hair colors (black, brown, blonde, red) often the program will loose the arrow buttons and get hung-up on itself. I have to 'cancel' out and try again.

I'm also getting an error message: HEAP CORRUPTION DETECTED... and when I press retry "to debug the app." it crashes to my desktop. This error happens pretty consistantly, I've noticed, with hairs that do not have Version and Product numbers already. Most of these are older files.

On the bright side - I have found a sort-of work-around for sorting my files by hair style. I'm decustomising all the long/down hair as Holiday 2005, and the long/up (ponytail, etc) in Holiday 2006, medium/down as FF, medium/up as GLS, Updos are all with Celebration, short hair is in H&M, and cropped with K&B, all ethnic styles are in AL - with dreads in M&G. I haven't done ALL my hairs yet But, the ones I've done work like a charm! YAY!
Is there any reason NOT to do it this way?

Thanks again for a terrific program!

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#89 Old 24th Feb 2011 at 8:34 PM
Quote:
I'm also getting an error message: HEAP CORRUPTION DETECTED... and when I press retry "to debug the app." it crashes to my desktop. This error happens pretty consistantly, I've noticed, with hairs that do not have Version and Product numbers already.
That's a serious problem, thanks for reporting it. I'll have to find some really old hair to test this on and fix it.

Quote:
Is there any reason NOT to do it this way?
Can't think of one, so long as you know your system means "style" and not "EP". It won't break anything.

Mad Poster
#90 Old 24th Feb 2011 at 10:07 PM
Try these: Ethnocentric Hairstyles
...especially the fingerwaves.
Thanks!

and Vintage Stuffeths
Test Subject
#91 Old 25th Feb 2011 at 8:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatherineTCJD
Hiya Cat,
I'm also getting an error message: HEAP CORRUPTION DETECTED... and when I press retry "to debug the app." it crashes to my desktop. This error happens pretty consistantly, I've noticed, with hairs that do not have Version and Product numbers already. Most of these are older files.

Thanks again for a terrific program!

I'm getting similar errors, some on old files, some on more recent ones: Helaene's Curved and Sloped brows, most of LaPink's brows, and most of Nymphy's facial hair. I'm not tech-savvy enough to know why those files don't work while others do. With the brows, it was crashing to desktop without even bringing up the preview pics; with Nymphy's beards and stubble, I was getting the same error message as CatherineTCJD before it crashed.

Other than those few minor hiccups, this tool is brilliant. Even if I did bin all my hairs and remove the extra grays with the WW ages ago! I was not looking forward to having to look up the colors of brows/facial hair in SimPE and bin them that way.
Test Subject
#92 Old 25th Feb 2011 at 8:40 PM
I have been trying to download the file, however winzip/winrar will not recognize it as a legitimate file. I get an error message that says it is an unknown file or is damaged.
Any insight?
Mad Poster
#93 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 12:06 AM
Ok... I hate to say this, but I'm having another problem now too - which really might be just me pushing the program... dunno.

I did a BUNCH of hairs with my aforementioned "Sorting" work-around; and while most of the hairs went where I wanted them too, not all of them did. I checked (with WW) the ones that moved incorrectly, and see that they do have the appropriate product#/version# - so I think the binner did the right thing, but...

A good 'for instance' is AlmightyHat's retextures/recolors of Nouk's hairs: I 'sorted' 11 styles - and 5 of them went to the wrong place. Two of these 5 were binned for GLS (and their numbers verify as correct with WW), but they now have a FamilyFun icon and placement in my catelog. I've successfully binned other hairs for GLS, why not these? And, these are not "older" files. Any ideas???

I've also realised a bell/whistle that I'm missing in the Binner - and that's a tooltips display. I know a lot of times tooltips are just garbage, but they still aid in identifying exactly which hair I'm working on.

On the bright side... I really like the speed of this Binner - it may seem slow if your new to this whole process, but it's lightening fast compared with either SimPE or the WW! YAY!!!

and Vintage Stuffeths
Test Subject
#94 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 4:33 AM
I don't know if anyone's reported this issue yet, but no files show up when I tried. It goes up to 'My Documents' and then there's nothing else for me to click.
Lab Assistant
#95 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 5:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by XTINA53051
I don't know if anyone's reported this issue yet, but no files show up when I tried. It goes up to 'My Documents' and then there's nothing else for me to click.

If your The Sims 2 folder is located in a folder called 'Documents', the 'My Documents' link may be going to the wrong place. Find the address of your The Sims 2 folder and locate it in the Hair Binner by choosing "Go to parent directory" until you can reach the right folder.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#96 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 6:04 PM
WOW this is really awesome!!!

Though a version for mac would be awesome to, that way I won't have to keep moving files between computers : P
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#97 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 6:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pinkrosecat
If your The Sims 2 folder is located in a folder called 'Documents', the 'My Documents' link may be going to the wrong place. Find the address of your The Sims 2 folder and locate it in the Hair Binner by choosing "Go to parent directory" until you can reach the right folder.

This. ^

I plan to get rid of "My Documents" and "My Computer" and all that, it isn't helpful for Sims, and won't work on a Mac.

Working on the next version with some bug fixes. The "Choose File" dialog won't be changed in this version yet, but some other issues will be addressed.

Mad Poster
#98 Old 28th Feb 2011 at 1:20 AM
Please, ignore my last post...

Apparently it was the "nut behind the mouthpiece" kinda error. Sorry. The Binner sorts things just fine.

and Vintage Stuffeths
Test Subject
#99 Old 28th Feb 2011 at 3:59 AM
I'm still trying to extract the file and get it installed onto my computer, but neither winrar/winzip recognize it. I've attempted to use ALzip and extract it and I get the error message of "empty archive failed to extract". I also get the error message "encountered arguement" which ALzip then closes. Help, please?
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#100 Old 28th Feb 2011 at 5:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rev
I'm still trying to extract the file and get it installed onto my computer, but neither winrar/winzip recognize it. I've attempted to use ALzip and extract it and I get the error message of "empty archive failed to extract". I also get the error message "encountered arguement" which ALzip then closes. Help, please?

Use 7zip to extract it.

Catherine Noted, thanks.

Workin' on the new version...
* smooshes bugs *

Page 4 of 11