Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Alchemist
#9476 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 8:03 PM
AnyGameStarter.
safe or unsafe to delete ID file/files?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#9477 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 8:10 PM
If you delete the ID file of the full game, or regenerate your Sims 2 folder, you'll have to delete and reinstall one AGS iteration in order to use AGS - it requires the ID in order to keep from getting the game data mixed up, and it only assigns a full ID on installation.

I expect if you delete the ID number of an AnyGame, you'll have to uninstall/reinstall that iteration of AGS, for the same reason.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
just a girl
#9478 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 8:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by conversesneaker
Is it possible to build a hostel in a vacation subhood? I want my sims to share rooms like you would - I have a theory that so long as there are multiple doors all leading to the same room, your family would select one of the doors and would then share the room with multiple sims who also rent the room...but I don't know if that would confuse the coding and make the room disappear when rented by a tourist. OR - rent a room, but have a communal sleeping space elsewhere on the lot.

I suppose this would also apply to sharing dorm rooms too.

I tried sharing dorm rooms, by two playables and by playable+dormie. Contents of the room may dissapear if a dormie was the last to claim the room, but playable sim still could enter the room through his door. I didn't play this way for very long, but no disasters happend.

Hotel doors are different, though, and I don't know what would happen.
Field Researcher
#9479 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 8:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by stitching
Personally, I'd find that to be a pain, and I'd try to do it within one game. I'd add the downtown to the current 'hood, and then use TwoJeffs visitor controller and the colour keys from Simlogical. I'd give all the isolated sims a key and ban them from all the downtown lots and a different colour key to ban the downtown residents from the isolated 'hood. I'd then have the isolated sims ignore or turn down any calls that offer them group outings, as those always go to downtown community lots.

I tried something similar recently and have actually run into a problem. Most of my sims live in a shopping district and I had one family move over to the main hood. I gave that family the cyan keys and simply banned keyless sims on their lot, which worked fine. But when I went back to playing in the shopping district the sims with cyan keys kept visiting even though I banned cyan keys with the visitor controller. =/

Has anyone here ever successfully used the colour keys with the visitor controller?

Visit My Test of Time Challenge: wordpress & livejournal
Theorist
#9480 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 9:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
I don't know of a tutorial, but it's fairly easy. There are four areas you need to translate, though not all objects/mods will have all four. Catalog description, pie menu strings, action strings and dialogs. Action strings and dialogs are found under text lists. They can be confusing, because the exact names of the resources vary between objects, but most of the time they have the words dialog and action in their name. If you are unsure, go over the lists in text strings and see if any contain text you recognize from in game.

Catalog description is exactly what it sounds like, the description you'll see in buy/build catalog. It's only necessary to edit it if it's something you actually see in the catalog. Pie menu strings is the text used by the pie menu. Action strings are also the text used by pie menus, but it's text that only appears if called on by the interactions guardian bhav. It may or may not overwrite the text in the pie menu strings, depends on setup. But either way if there are action strings around, you need to translate them. Dialogs are text used in pop-ups and dialogs, like chance cards and carpool/schoolbus notifications.

When you view these things in SimPE, there's a dropdown menu for language. Each version of these resources can simultaneously hold text for each language the game is available in, and the game will use the correct one based on installation language. English is default, so if there is no string in your language it will use the english default. If there is a string in your language, then it will use that one. So to edit, use drop down menu to select your language. If you tick "Reveal default language for comparison" you can see the default text on the right, to help you remember what each line is when you translate.

@gummilutt
Thank you for your help. It sounds easy. I'll try asap.
Forum Resident
#9481 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 10:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by stitching
I'd add the downtown to the current 'hood, and then use TwoJeffs visitor controller and the colour keys from Simlogical http://www.simlogical.com/sl/Sims2P...cessControl.htm I'd give all the isolated sims a key and ban them from all the downtown lots and a different colour key to ban the downtown residents from the isolated 'hood. I'd then have the isolated sims ignore or turn down any calls that offer them group outings, as those always go to downtown community lots.

I've never used the color keys, but this might be a good time to see how they work.

Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Can you use AGS? You can make an empty hood without any templates attached (not just empty, but not there), change it into a subhood of some type, build your civilization, play it alternately with your existing island; then, when you're ready to merge them, move (or copy; but see below) the AGS hood to the appropriate TSData/Res folder in Programs, and add it to the island. This is how custom shareable subhoods are created.

AGS is not an option for me. I use the rename method to run multiple games with different downloads folders. I am not sure what you mean by "not just empty, but not there." My current hood started as an totally empty hood, roads only. Is that the same thing?

When you say hood numbers, you mean the N001, N002, right? I am not sure what a unique instance number is, but I'll look that up. Sadly, I'm really a dummy when it comes to this stuff. I did add Jawusa's empty templates to my program files. I had hoped merging the two games would be as simple as copying and pasting an in-progress Veronaville or Bluewater neighborhood from one game to the Veronaville or Bluewater neighborhood in another.

One of these days, I'll back everything up and get brave enough to go in and bork up stuff until I actually learn something. :-)

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Mad Poster
#9482 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 10:40 PM
You can't make a subhood out of a neighborhood that has subhoods attached - including stealth hoods. If I understand correctly how it works, empty templates replace the stealth hoods with ones that have no sims, but they are still attached to your neighborhood. AGS doesn't attach them at all. (Though there are problems with the way it deals with the FT hobby hoods. I've never needed to futz with them to date, so I'm not sure how all that shakes out. But in AGS you can just not install Freetime if your concept for Civilization doesn't require features that depend on it.)

Mootilda's tutorial on creating a subhood can be found here: http://modthesims.info/t/420196
The process for changing a neighborhood type is here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=502306

Mootilda, of course, never got a chance to update these for the UC or Windows10, but she includes instructions for people who can't use AGS. If you follow her instructions a step at a time I'm sure you'll do all right. The screenshots were not hosted by Photobucket, so no parts are missing.

You can name your hood anything you like and can keep track of. I believe the string has to be four alphanumeric characters long, but the game doesn't care. By convention, University names start with U, Downtown with D, and shopping districts with B. All the internal files have to match the neighborhood number, too, so the earlier in the process of creation you do it, the better.

The instance number is one of those hidden programming numbers that computers use and humans never see unless they go poking around in the code, but you can access it through SimPE. The tutorials show you where to find it.

You can do this if you want to. Just be patient with yourself and plan ahead a bit. And if you screw up, well, so did I, and so did Jawusa, and so did everyone who's ever done this, including Mootilda when she was figuring it out, so remind yourself you're in good company and go at it again. Mootilda's gone, but the rest of us are still here and will help if we can.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
#9483 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 11:19 PM
No mention of local walkbys?
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...hp?topic=4670.0

That should keep them from meeting.
Mad Poster
#9484 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 11:55 PM
People from other subhoods can still come to community lots.

Mad Poster
#9485 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 11:59 PM
You could stick prisoner tokens into every Sim in the mainland community when playing the island, and vice-versa. Kind of a kludge, though.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Lab Assistant
#9486 Old 28th Sep 2017 at 9:07 AM
How would you arrange the roof on this building? Attached are pictures with and without Build Mode grid.
Screenshots

Slowly moving steps into basic TS2 modding.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9487 Old 28th Sep 2017 at 10:09 AM
Well seeing that it's modern styled probably a flat roof with an edging.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#9488 Old 28th Sep 2017 at 12:36 PM
- Are first cousins flagged as family in game?
Mad Poster
#9489 Old 28th Sep 2017 at 1:05 PM
Mootilda, of course, never got a chance to update these for the UC or Windows10

Our community lost an enormous resource when we lost her (and she had one of the greatest names ever). She did so much for us. I bet we all use something she modded in our games every day.

I know this is O/T. I just thought I should say it.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#9490 Old 28th Sep 2017 at 6:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ConsoC
How would you arrange the roof on this building? Attached are pictures with and without Build Mode grid.

I'd drag a roof with a gable on the short ends along the core rectangle, then a smaller gable from front to back to cover the bay. The rear is a lot trickier; frankly, since the single-square strip of balcony is no earthly use to anybody, I'd probably add that to the kitchen and access the balcony from a non-diagonal wall, getting rid of the hard part. If for some reason that angle is important to keep, I'd experiment first with an octagonal roof, and if that didn't work, take out the fence long enough to put up a wall and roof the balcony, too.

Yes, Essa - first cousins, aunts, and uncles all get family flags.

Mad Poster
#9491 Old 28th Sep 2017 at 10:59 PM
What determines the order that families appear on the SimBlender's teleport menu or the Simlogical cat teleporter? I thought it was the order they were created, but then some families randomly end up near the beginning or in some seemingly random order.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#9492 Old 29th Sep 2017 at 2:22 PM
Hood Replacer copy everything from one 'Hood to another, except lots?
What's the point fixing their elevation if they aren't being copied over...am I missing something?

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9493 Old 29th Sep 2017 at 2:44 PM
Mad Poster
#9494 Old 29th Sep 2017 at 2:49 PM
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh. K. Thanks.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#9495 Old 29th Sep 2017 at 3:53 PM
The Freetime soccer goal. Can you play with it alone or do you need more than one sim? All my sim does is shift position then the ball disappears.
Theorist
#9496 Old 29th Sep 2017 at 4:06 PM
You need two sims for the FT soccer goal.
Theorist
#9497 Old 29th Sep 2017 at 5:24 PM
Is wondering why the disagrees.

Q: my adult sim has the fear of being uneducated. Is this normal?
I don't have a uni hood yet.
Inventor
#9498 Old 29th Sep 2017 at 5:44 PM
It is possible for a Sim to use the FT soccer goal by themselves. All they'll do is practice kicking the ball into the net.

Funny enough, whenever a Sim wishes to summon another to play soccer with them, it could be anyone anywhere including restrooms. I've had a few cases at the Freetime Recreation Center lot where my Sim was in the little girl's room and a guy Sim wanted her to play soccer. NOT while she's doing her own business, thank you very much. >.<

Check out my profile for homes and community lots ready for download: My Homes and Stuff
Mad Poster
#9499 Old 29th Sep 2017 at 6:22 PM
Do you suppose it would be possible for someone to build this? modthesims.info/download.php?t=600851
for sims 2?

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#9500 Old 29th Sep 2017 at 6:35 PM Last edited by gazania : 29th Sep 2017 at 7:11 PM.
Two questions:

1. Because piece of CC has a placeholder or controller, that does not necessarily mean it's unsafe to remove from my Downloads folder, correct? I would like to remove this mod because it doesn't seem to work in my game:
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=487978

Maybe it's a mod conflict. Maybe it never was properly updated for AL/M&G. But whatever it is, I really don't need it. If I have to keep it in there, I'll just do that.

2. It seems that in my previous question about dorms, the person (Rosebine) answering my question might have been correct. I had written that my Sims don't get prompts to go to exams in my custom dorms. There is more of a situation than that. They don't get the prompt to go to a final exam (and if they don't go, the game will just stick them in some sort of exam zone until they finally do). they don't meet professors (every once in a while, I'll have a Sim get a little friendly with a prof to raise grades), and they don't get any of these prompts even on a Uni community lot.

I have four dorms with this situation. Is this fixable? I would think you can do one of two things:

1. Move them out, demolish the dorm, put the old lot one back in, make sure it's rezoned as a dorm this time before binning again, take the dorm version out of the bin, move everyone back in. Problem was, I thought I DID rezone the lots before moving them to the bin. Maybe I didn't. I'm en route to checking. It seems the key is to rezone them as a dorm BEFORE putting them in the bin, or have two different versions ... the community/residential lot one (which you can rezone to residential in a normal hood, I would guess, if it's a community lot) and the "definitely a dorm" one. Or ..

2. Is it possible to click/unclick/add/delete something in Sim PE? (Though with four dorms, and more than a hundred lots, that could take a whole lot of searching!)

Or am I just stuck until they graduate? I would like to use the dorms in question as normal dorms. I spent quite a bit of time building them!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Page 380 of 1345