Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 2:03 PM
Default Do you let your simmies remarry after a divorce or being widowed from a tragegy?
I was searching in the forums if there were any threads about this, but couldnt only found ones about the actually weddings,family trees or bugs, not what happens "years" after that. So I started yet another thread.

One of my families experience such as situation (shown as an example in spoilers):

In this kind or other kind of sitatuation, like divorce - do you usually remarry your sims? In what kind of situations?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 2:10 PM
I do let my sims remarry - if they want to. Some of them stay alone. Others roll a want to date/fall in love/get engaged/marry - and I usually try to fulfill those wants. But I like diversity, so some who are divorced become serial daters. Some who are widowed will forever mourn their lost love. It depends on the sim's personality, the storyline, and the wants they roll.
Theorist
#3 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 2:12 PM
Depends on the sim. I don't think I've every had any of my sims want to remarry, but there's only one reason why I wouldn't let them, if they wanted to. That reason is if a sims is within a day or two of dying and they have no eligible romantic prospects on the line and they decide they want to remarry -- too much work for too little reward, and then I end up with an additional playable to care for.

Other than that, sure, go ahead and remarry.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Theorist
#4 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 2:21 PM
As I use ACR(v2) and Free Will is always ON, I tend to let my Sims sort of guide me as to what they want. So, if someone divorces or loses a partner (for any reason) and rolls a want or expresses an interest in another Sim(s), they are free to move on and remarry. However, if they seem indifferent about a new love...I don't force the issue.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 2:22 PM
My own sims is getting married (for the first time) at very young age (they are from 2 centuaries ago after all) and only wed with playable. The one that got widowed were 18 (using somewhat realistic age span).... So I dont need them to worry about them getting too old because they have almost 30 "years" (simdays) left before reaching elders. I was more thinking about remarriage for story purposes though.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 2:23 PM
Yes of course if they want to. I don't have anything personally against remarriage so neither do my sims.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#7 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 2:39 PM
I haven't had that many divorces in my game so far. There's one key one that I remember, because it's in my hood-recreation, but the ones before that I've forgotten about by now. But what happens to a Sim after a divorce varies, depending on the Sim. One could say it depends on their aspiration and personality, but since I choose those to fit the story I have in mind, I guess the story is the real culprit.

The one couple I mentioned that I do remember consists of a family Sim and a popularity/romance. The family one will remarry, although as an elder. She starts living with another man much earlier than that, but due to the mess with the first one isn't sure she wants to marry again. The new guy just wants to be with her and doesn't care, but when they eventually have a kid they decide to go for it. The popularity/romance does not re-marry, as he's not that kind of dude. He only married the family Sim for her money, and had numerous lovers both before marriage and during. He got his money, he doesn't need to marry again so he won't.

Divorce is never going to be that common in my game, because the way the game is set up it's not that likely that Sims fall apart unless one cheats, and not that many of my Sims are going to cheat. If it was easier to simulate Sims simply growing apart or fighting all the time, then it'd be more common, but I'm not bothered enough to mess with it. I throw in those elements during teen-hood instead, because there's a more natural break point when aging up to YA.
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 2:55 PM
Something Ive notice is that sims with family aspiration either as primary or 2ndary aspiration always want to find a new partner after the previous one passed away or one of the couple divorced.
Several players on here said you can "train" your sims for not rolling those wants, but Im not good about how sims "think" so that would be a tricky. If I followed after the sims wants, everyone would end remarrying others and every romance sim cheating on eachother.

So I agree with gummilutt. I also prefer going after the story. OR the theme of the hood. My hood is now taken place during the mid 19th centuary where all sims are very conservative and faithful (some of them may have a mistress with help of the hacked arch, but I dont have any romance sims in the hood yet), so I might pass the remarriage on the one mentioned in the spoiler; He is an artistic slight grouchy fortune sim with 2ndary family aspiration, not a true family guy. If I wait a couple of simdays, Im sure if he want to roll those fall in love and more kids want. Ive already 70 households and need to cut it down, so no more offsprings for this little guy.

Its not that I am against remarriage or having kids outside marrriage. It just doesnt fit into the theme nor storyline of this hood. Beside,I dont play the game after my own personal preference (which many seems to do. "If Im not against it, my sim will neither". lol if I was playing after, all of my sims would get married when they are almost middle aged and only have 1 kid for reproduction. In RL, I hate kids and family life. ). Even if Im against male dominance, teen pregnancy, slavery, multi-marriages, kiling etc in real life. Ive no problem with it within a game. Opps the last part were a bit OT. Sorry sorry...
Mad Poster
#10 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 3:23 PM
Some remarry, some don't. It depends on the sim. A lot of times widowers are usually elders, and therefore don't remarry (being that they only have a few days left themselves) and prefer to be around the children/grand children more.

In my current megahood, John Burb and Mary Gavigan are currently dating, and will get married and have a child together. Jennifer Burb isn't going to remarry, because she enjoys being a single woman and children and marriage and such just aren't for her - she tried that life and she didn't like it. Nathan Gavigan might remarry, but I'm not sure yet. He's been confusing me over Ginger Newson lately. He'll autonomously flirt with her, but then reject her, and then she'd reject him, and then he'll accept her. It's really confusing - so I'm just letting them do what they want and if eventually they fall in love, they might get married. Darren Dreamer and Brandi Broke also got married, and are the only couple in the game who has been a widow and got remarried (other than Dina).

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#11 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 3:30 PM
Ah, no, I didn't mean it like that as such. Of course I play sims with totally different lifestyles to my own. I just prefer to keep religious ideals out of my game, my game is very liberal minded, live and let live kind of thing, but I don't like rules I see no sense to. I see no sense in banning remarriage, so I wouldn't have it in my game.

Actually I agree with gummilutt somewhat too - marriages don't tend to fall apart easily in TS2, couples can't grow apart, read into things wrong, have bad communication, etc, so the only likely scenario for divorce is adultery or death. Occasionally I've simulated a few things, like the guy who was secretly employed in the criminal career but ran his own business as well and his wife doesn't (yet) know about the criminal stuff, if she finds that out, she would probably be quite upset. And sometimes if one sim is messy and another neat the neat one might get fed up over time and start arguments when they've been cleaning up 100 messes yet again. I will have them start arguments over things which bother them, but you have to put effort in for that to happen.

When couples live apart they can grow apart and not roll wants or think of each other often, and then I'll have them split up. But when they live together they tend to interact almost by accident - while eating, watching TV, ACRing. Although in fact ACR can put a spanner in the works. If one sim is unhappy and the other keeps pestering them for woohoo they will reject, leading to a downturn in the relationship. I like that - I can work out whether to get them couple counselling and help them fix the relationship or whether it descends into nastiness.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#12 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 3:54 PM
My sims are very unlikely to live alone for long, regardless of why they're alone, but marriage isn't the only solution for that.

Of course they are allowed to. The only actual divorce in any of my neighborhoods so far is Drama Acres Trent and Trisha Traveller - Trisha and Julien Cooke fell for each other like a ton of bricks and the Traveller marriage was hopeless (Trisha and I did give it the old college try), so when Trisha got pregnant she divorced Trent to marry Julien. Since I've come to accept that this Trent is asexual and neuroatypical, and moreover that the divorce was very traumatic for him because his emotional attachment to Trisha, however unsatisfactory for her, was real and profound for him, he's unlikely ever to remarry. But Tina's living with him, so the house will still be amusing to play.

Other storyline situations fit the criterion, but I'm disinclined to count them because they are storyline situations, existing by creator fiat rather than by normal gameplay. I married my Valentine Hart to Mary Land - but I killed his first wife on purpose and am the only person who ever witnessed Valentine and Angel as a couple. Like the Goth, Broke, Dreamer, Jacquet, and O'Mackey situations in the premades, Angel's death is a deliberately chosen story-generation device. The player can't be expected to have any attachment to the original marriage (though a lot of people have, in practice, proven to be committed to Bella and Mortimer as a couple, possibly because so many of us played them in Sims1), so the emotional effect of playing is not the same. Some Widespot players refuse to remarry Valentine because they interpret the backstory and the behavior he evinces in their games to mean that Angel was he Grande Passion of his life and he won't remarry because of that; or they roll with the idea of the elderly tomcat; and these are equally valid ways to develop the character. (Interestingly, the only person I'm aware of to resurrect Angel did so after marrying Valentine to Mary, and that Angel has settled into a comfortable life of dating a younger man while sharing a household with her tomcat son Rhett. They spend a lot of time drinking in the rain in their undies. I don't think that Angel is likely to remarry.)

Many of the widowhoods I've played never existed. I have a mining disaster as the backstory for the core Drama Acres families, but my three widow-and-child families never experienced life with a father in the game. One "widow" remarried and had a second child (because she was a Fortune sim and wanted to), two of them did not (because they were Romance and Pleasure sims and never wanted to) - but everybody dated. I attributed emotional states to them that explained their autonomous actions in sympathetic ways and guided my choices for them, but mechanically, their wants panels and aspiration states were not affected by the backstory except insofar as I enforced it. Dora Ottomas is a similar case - she is widowed, divorced, or never married depending on the hood she's in, and I make choices for her accordingly.

The only in-game authentic widower in Drama Acres is Brady Estic, who married the Fortune widow referred to above. Brady started life as Mr. Big, and he was much younger than Madge, so she died shortly after he turned elder. While she lived, he got bored of being a househusband and had an affair with the Diva, who wouldn't leave him alone. After Madge's death, his daughter caught them and was furious. I made the Diva playable and Brady moved in with her - but the Diva isn't fit to shine Madge's shoes (neither is Brady) and he knows it. She was determined to marry him and he was determined to die with Madge's name on him. She's had twin boys and he's found sound financial reasons why, for their sake, she shouldn't marry him! Obviously, I disapprove of Brady's behavior, but he's a slick bastard and letting him be slick bastard has been loads of fun for me. The Diva may well marry - which, from an emotional standpoint, would be a remarriage - after Brady dies, but that's in the future and I don't know. Ditto Mary - Valentine's bound to predecease her unless she dies of motive failure during pregnancy (which would devastate both of us), and I don't know how that will play.

This is not the kind of thing that can be decided ahead of time. The option has to be open, or where's the fun?

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Link Ninja
#13 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 4:20 PM
I do if they roll a want to marry. One of of my sims had his wife divorce him for kissing her sister-in-law and he was single for a long time after. He is and elder now and just got married to a sim his daughter's age and is expecting a new baby that will be younger than all his grandchildren. These college freshman will have an infant aunt or uncle soon.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Scholar
#14 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 4:47 PM
... I have mostly given up on true marriages for my sims(because I hate weddings and can hardly ever get them to work properly). If they don't pop out of CAS with a wedding ring they're unlikely to get one ever. That said, they do tend to live with their sweeties, though often in a confusing communal house. They're generally not the straight and narrow type either, and usually have another sim or two they're interested in. So they often take up with a new sweetie when they lose the first one, yes.
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 4:53 PM
I play with aging off so my sims live a long life. It depends on the sims wants and fears whether or not I guide them to remarry at any age.

Mary-Sue Pleasant has gone on with rebuilding her life after leaving Daniel. Mary-Sue has remarried a newcomer to Pleasantview. I can't remember his name at the moment. They sold the old Pleasant home and bought a new home up on the hill overlooking Pleasantview and started raising a family of their own, now that the twins are off at college. Daniel on the other hand has become quite the player, juggling as many love affairs as possible. Some of his love interests live in the same Apartment Complex as him.

Denise Jacquet never remarried after the death of Yves. And passed away as a widow.

Darren Dreamer, as I stated in another thread, never got over the death of his wife, Darleen. Darren lost his job and became the town drunk. As stated in the other thread, Darren finally landed a job at the Fish Packing Plant. The update on Darren is he is slowly giving up drinking. Instead of being at the bar every night until closing, he only frequents the bar maybe 1 or 2 nights a week. Darren is also trying to go back to being an artist. Darren has met a lovely lady, Millie Sanders, and has been dating her quite frequently, lately. Darren is so smitten with Millie, but only rolls wants for talking with, playing with, kissing, dating, and woohooing with Millie. When he rolls the want to marry Millie, I will let it happen.

Mort Goth, as stated before bought the bank. Although Dina has proposed to Mort, Mort turned her down. Mort can not get over the disappearance of Bella and does not have the heart to have Bella declared dead after all these years. Since Mort is still married though, he can not legally marry anyone. Sorry but there are just somethings I keep from RL in my game.

And life goes on in Pleasantview.................
Mad Poster
#17 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 5:15 PM
Miss Kemnitzer, you don't have to do the whole wedding thing. They can get married without an arch, by mutual consent, any time they want. Though if shacking up is working for you and them that's cool, too.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#18 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 5:34 PM
Yes, of course if that fits with their story. Why wouldn't i?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#19 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 6:05 PM
Well, haven't had any break ups or divorces yet. But, regardless of whether its a break up or death, I don't mind letting my sims remarry. Unless its only the first generation of a family tree, then in the case of death, they would stay widowers, because I like mimicking the premade family trees, where the first generation sims are almost always elders and die married.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 7:18 PM
Yeah, they can do that. Sometimes it's still not a better idea than the first marriage was. Daniel Pleasant is one of those sims who just has to be married to someone, it seems, but he isn't good at the whole keeping his commitments thing. (If he'd go for a Romance sim instead . . . .)

What I wish for is a hack where sims who are in love could be set to reject a proposal. Because sensible adults sometimes do love someone and at the same time realize that marrying that person would be a really bad idea.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#21 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 7:21 PM
Sunbee, you could do that with allmenus on cheat, and the sub-cheat to it that lets you decide if a social interaction should be accepted or rejected.
Scholar
#22 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 7:46 PM
Unless I'm planning to resurrect the late spouse, I see no reason not to let them remarry, if they eventually meet someone and fancy them.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 8:11 PM
I just play to there wants, if they want to get married/remarried then I will let them.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Scholar
#24 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 8:27 PM
My Sims rarely divorce (I think it's happened three times in the decade I've played) and it's 50/50 whether a Sim will re-marry. Deaths are much more common. Te shorter the marriage, the more likely the Sim will marry. Usually I play this matter to the Sim's wants. Usually.
Inventor
#25 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 9:19 PM
Like ieta_cassiopeia, my sims usually don't divorce.
Up until now I 'only' have had:
1. One separation between a living together unmarried couple.
They both found new partners. The male sim married the new partner and the female let her new boyfriend move in with her.
2. A married couple, who divorced. The female remarried after and the male went living together with his new girlfriend.
3. A widow. (Her father killed her husband.)
Her wish had been to grow old with that man, but when he was murdered she stayed alone to raise her three kids.
Page 1 of 2