Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jan 2015 at 2:14 AM
Default What should I look for in an older computer to run TS2?
Hi, guys.
Today I had a bad day...

I'm getting a new one in a month. What should I look for? Most likely another laptop & windows 7. Probably used. But I can convince my dad other wise if needed.
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 25th Jan 2015 at 12:00 PM
Well, what are you posting this on?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Scholar
#3 Old 25th Jan 2015 at 12:56 PM
Alpal's probably posting from a cellphone, I'm guessing.

You'll definitely need something with Windows 7, though I'd recommend a desktop over a laptop. I...kind of traumatized a laptop with Sims 2.

My CC creations, updated April 21, 2015.

My Simblr
Link Ninja
#4 Old 25th Jan 2015 at 2:53 PM
If you like to use cc, make sure it has plenty of memory, especially if you plan to use the computer for other programs as well as Sims EPs. Also a good graphics card won't hurt.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#5 Old 25th Jan 2015 at 2:59 PM
If it is running XP then you want 4 GB ram and you want it to have a stand-alone video card that is on the list that will run all your EP/SP's. http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...Recommendations

For Windows 7 a min. of 4GB ram and i would not get any thing lower than a GTS 250.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
#6 Old 25th Jan 2015 at 6:10 PM
Google tells me this could be caused be a loose cable. It would be worth opening up the laptop to take a look, if you can find anyone with the right screwdrivers.

It can also be caused by a damaged motherboard or graphics chip, but it would be worth looking for sure before you give up on it.

Another way to test if it's a loose cable would be to plug an external monitor in. If it works, you know it's only the cable which is loose and it's worth paying for repair (or keep the monitor). If you don't have a monitor to test with, use a TV.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#7 Old 25th Jan 2015 at 7:16 PM
It will run on xp. Sometimes, it will run using only the on board screen card (processors often had one). It won't look nearly as good, but it can be done, especially if it is temporary.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 25th Jan 2015 at 8:00 PM
Don't run it on Vista. It lags big-time, especially if you have a huge lot/house. I can run it with only 2 GB (I have 3) on Win7 and it runs fine--and I have all EPs and SPs.

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 25th Jan 2015 at 9:21 PM
I would go with a desktop any day over a lap top, they can be upgraded while most lap tops are thrown away. XP or Windows 7. I would avoid Vista and windows 8 like the plague. At least 4Ram. My daughters computer only has 2 RAM and we can't get more than 3 EPs on it, so when it is old and lower end it depends what else it has.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Meet Me In My Next Life
#11 Old 25th Jan 2015 at 9:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alpal425
Hi, guys.
Today I had a bad day...

I'm getting a new one in a month. What should I look for? Most likely another laptop & windows 7. Probably used. But I can convince my dad other wise if needed.

@>>Alpal425>> The "real" lesson to learn here is "Don't " leave your laptop laying around for your pets to get a hold of, pets will be pets, make sure it do not happen with your new computer. ok
I do not have a laptop I have a "custom" made desktop, ( Cost me an arm and leg to buy ) I do not know much about laptop. But I think in most of all computer to run a good game Sims or another game you need enough rams, a good hard drive, processor (CPU ) good power supply, and cooling system.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 25th Jan 2015 at 9:49 PM
Over the summer I got a customized Toshiba laptop with windows 7, a dedicated NVIDIA graphics card, and (I think) 12BG memory. I was serious about being able to play the sims 2!!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 25th Jan 2015 at 9:49 PM
Wow that must have cost a packet. Enjoy your sims!

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Undead Molten Llama
#14 Old 25th Jan 2015 at 10:31 PM
Well, you really don't need much. The machine I play on was purchased at a library sale, used, for $100 (without a monitor. I already had a little one, but the husband later bought me a big 32" one that he got a deal on because it was a floor model.) It runs Vista Business 64-bit (And I have no trouble with lag, and didn't even playing on it as it came, before I upgraded it.) It has a Core 2 processor and came with 2GB of RAM and a 250MB video card. I have since maxed out the RAM to 16GB and upgraded the video card to a 2GB one, which I bought for $40 from Amazon., but the game ran OK with the machine's original specs. The only thing was that it would lag on big lots with weather, because the video card wasn't very strong. With the 2GB card, I have no such issues. Pictures of my game can be seen on my Tumblr, which is linked in my sig. (Said pics are entirely unedited except for cropping and a bit of brightening because screen capturing programs tend to take dark pictures. So what you see in those pics is essentially what I see on my screen.)

Anyway, I'd say that:

A) Definitely get a desktop. Yeah, it's nice to be able to play in bed, but desktops are meant to upgrade over time, even by people who aren't especially techie (I'm not, but I'm OK with opening the case and clicking in RAM chips and video cards and stuff). Laptops (unless you're really techie and are comfortable with basically dismantling them) are more meant to buy and use and when you want to "upgrade," you buy a better one.

B) You're actually better off with an older operating system, as they tend not to use as many resources (RAM and video card resources) as newer ones do. If my husband could have found me an XP machine, he would have gotten that, but Vista was the best he could do. Check locally libraries and colleges; they're usually selling used-but-well-maintained machines, often running older operating systems. Mine has given me no problems and runs like a champ. I don't really know how old it is. I'm figuring about 6 years or so.

C) If you're running all EPs and lots of CC, I'd say 4GB of RAM will do ya. (I have so much not for the game's purposes but for CAD drafting. It's rendering time was horrendous even with 8GB in, probably because it really wants a faster processor, but more RAM helped, so... )

D) I really like the video card I bought. It, too, is an older model but bought new on Amazon, It has 2GB of DDR3 RAM and an onboard cooling fan. And I haven't been able to make the game lag no matter what I've thrown at it. Jo's big water park with lots of Sims on it? No problem. Huge beach lots with 50 Sims on it in a downpour? Not a problem. And, like I said, it cost me $40.

All that said, I do think it's worth investigating getting your machine fixed, either DIY or by taking it to a shop, if you're uncomfortable with fiddling with it yourself. Also, if it's under warranty, you may be able to get it repaired/replaced through the manufacturer.

Anyway, that's my $0.02. Gotta go pack now.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 25th Jan 2015 at 11:39 PM
Be aware if you decide to go with a computer running Windows XP that Microsoft is no longer supporting it. Meaning no new security updates. So if you're planning on using your new computer to browse the internet you would need to be especially careful to avoid malware.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 8:35 AM
A laptop - you take that to a professional, please! Even they sometimes don't want to work on laptops. I understand that it is more complicated than desktops - which is probably logical because it has a lot less space than a box. But, @Alpal425, have it fixed, it might really be something small.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 8:41 AM
Yep, I got my computer for €20 when my husband's company upgraded and sold off their old machines. It's a gaming company so it's perfect for TS2 - mid-high spec from 5 years ago!

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 28th Jan 2015 at 2:25 AM Last edited by ninawr : 28th Jan 2015 at 8:43 PM. Reason: adding to
Quote: Originally posted by Alpal425
Hi, guys.
Today I had a bad day...

Well, if it's a very inexpensive (new) laptop you can bet it won't hold up under the strain of playing Sims 2. However, computer companies do discount their 'last year's' models some times quite a bit, especially if the newer models have some fancy gizmo that they are trying to entice the public to switch to. You can check the different manufacturers'' sites for them or the retailers. The ones from the later are usually those that the manufacturers are discounting that they are being stuck with. You just don't have to pay for shipping, but then...some manufacturers are so wanting to get rid of these older models that some offer free shipping and upgrades.
I played for years on my little Shebba (RIP). She was a Vista Toshiba 2 Gig that had every EP installed, but not too much cc. Now I have a hand-me-down Windows 7 HP with 4G's and the game plays wonderfully on it. Of course, it depends on the model of the beast. Some models are better than most. Go to the manufacturers' websites and have some live chat with their people. Be sure to tell them you're only doing research right now (we all know how sales people are) and what you want out of the computer...TO PLAY SIMS 2 ON. You don't need a gaming computer, either. Sometimes you'll get someone who won't stutter in terror or make explanations of horror. Sims 2 can be a computer killer if it's not the right one.

Just thought of something...you said your screen went white...do you hear the hard drive trying to turn when you first start up your computer? Little Shebba's hard drive would make a racket upon start up, yet the screen would remain blank. Found out from my computer/laptop tech (RIP, too) that the second time my laptop was knocked to the tile floor, it cracked the hard drive. Even though Western Digital makes after market hard drives for laptops at a reasonable price, it'll cost you at least $100 to find out if it is the hard drive and then more money to have it installed unless you have a very old Compaq (theirs was user friendly--not good computers to play any games on---the hard drives were in front and all you had to do was unscrew, pull out, unplug and replace. Why can't they do that with today's laptops?)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19 Old 28th Jan 2015 at 2:49 AM
What I would do is go to someone who can put a desk top together and say you want the cheapest computer that will run Skyrim and that should also run Sims 2 nicely. Some computer techs seem to have no respect if you say you want a computer to run sims on. Even dh techy friend who did up mine showed more respect when I said it had to run skyrim as well. Now I need a computer that can run Dragon Age Inquisition because my old girl is showing her age and runs it like molasses. She still runs sims 2 and Skyrim just fine though.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#20 Old 28th Jan 2015 at 7:21 AM
I agree with Jo - it is fun, anyway, to build up your own pc. Just have a good look at the specs needed for Sims 2 and go at least one level higher than the required specs (There is a world of difference between required and recommended )
Field Researcher
#21 Old 28th Jan 2015 at 3:42 PM
the machine i play the sims on is an older flat top model dell. it needed a low profile vid card and some scrounged ram but it works fine for my sims 1 thru 3. it also has no internet connection so as long as its windows xp does not go bang, i do not have to worry about its not being supported by microsoft.

not bad for a dumpster rescue (my dads work just threw it out years ago, befor he retired lol)
its a dual core though, and i managed to get the nvidia 210 and another 2gig of RAM for it. my sims 1 and 2 fly, but my sims3 got to the point i have to play windowed now (thats just graphics though)

but if you only ever plan to play the sims2 on it, you can happily get by with no internet for it (provided you have access to another internet system someplace to get your downloads and so on through) and an older model machine.
mine is about the age where they start showing up in charity shops and cash resale places (like cash converters and cash generator, if you are in the Uk you probably have seen them on the high street) if you are from the US, you can check garrage/lawn sales and thrift stores too, probably find some reasonable machines out there if you are willing to take time to look at the cheaper end.

as for a laptop, yes, a decent 2nd user windows 7 machine that was good for gaming would probably work, but i dont know how well the sims2 works on say, windows 8/8.1/10 versions yet. the download version via origin probably works (but i wouldnt reccomend it unless you also used origin for other things...personaly)

but yeah, a desktop is allways going to be better for things like the sims, since you can swap out nearly any part that goes bang! compared to the parts needed to swap out with laptops. the only real advantages to laptops are their size and lack of screen extra. but if you are lucky you can find small form factor PCs that, while they are now considered outdated, will still run the sims2 and not overheat too much. and if you can get a low profile (slim) modern graphics card for them, you can usualy connect up to a tv with HDMI so you can save space that way.
Scholar
#22 Old 29th Jan 2015 at 3:57 AM
Cutting through all the other stuff people are saying:

--a good graphics card
--preferably xp or 7, though I see iCad's having a good time with Vista
--4Gb RAM
strong fans to cool it off because Sims runs hot

If you're constrained to a laptop and money is an issue, look for a used gaming laptop in good condition. Get somebody who knows what they're doing to check it out, and/or but it from someone who can guarantee it. I got an alienware, not used, but a recently-discontinued model, for a few hundred less than a model of the minute. The only thing I'm having trouble with is that I chose a small screen, not realizing that it would affect me as much as it does. Also when I travel with it people respect me. They go "that granny has an alienware, she must be hardcore."
Scholar
#23 Old 30th Jan 2015 at 2:14 PM
I recommend checking the system requirements/recommendations page on the Sims Wiki. This is especially good at identifying which graphics cards play nicely with Sims 2 and which give problems. Anywhere that says "Maybe"... ...it means you'll probably get it to run, but won't get optimal performance from it and run the risk of wearing out the card and/or overheating the system prematurely. In any case, your game will go a lot better if you get a dedicated graphics card known to be able to run Sims 2 reasonably well.

Apart from that, I'd advise getting:

- A desktop computer that is basically no more than 6 years old (older machines might not have enough basic spec to play the game - consult the link near the start of this post if in doubt). Laptops are a lot trickier to buy for - not only is there a much wider range of specs available (some very cheap laptops of today have issues with Sims 2, some very high-end ones from 5 years ago run it fine, especially if they've had upgrades) but it is also essential to check how good cooling and airflow are in the system. This is not something most ads list, so inspect laptops personally (or have a tech expert do it) before buying for Sims 2. Also, if buying a used laptop, avoid ones that have had a hard life because if a previous user has damaged the video card, Sims 2 will notice.

- 2 GB of memory is the minimum amount I'd recommend if you have every expansion pack. If you plan to do heavy-duty Simming such as particularly large households/parties or lots of CC, your game will run better if you go for 4 GB or higher. Note that XP doesn't benefit from more than 4 GB, but Windows 7 will.

- Go for Windows 7 unless you know this computer won't go on the internet - in which case, Windows XP is perfect. (You can run it on 2000 or even Windows 98, in theory, but it's not clear why anyone would wish to do so in 2015). If for some reason neither is an option, Winodws Vista is preferable to Windows 8.

- A nice big hard drive with a fast read speed. "Big" obviously depends on what other plans you have for this computer, but bear in mind that Sims 2 is basically 10 GB by itself, and that it's not particularly difficult to get that much again in custom content if you spend long enough on Mod The Sims and similar sites. Also, Sims 2 does odd stuff if you try running it with a full hard drive (like not saving correctly), so if in doubt get a larger hard drive rather than a smaller one. Faster read speeds boost loading time (but so does good file management and following best practice, so if you can't find a read speed for the hard drive in an ad, it needn't put you off purchasing).

- Either a CD/DVD drive (for your Sims 2 disk) or an internet connection (for your Sims 2 Origin download). The latter is useful anyway for getting custom content onto the machine.

- Some method of doing backups - lots of methods, just make sure that if you have a preferred method, that your chosen computer will make it as easy as possible to do it.
Forum Resident
#24 Old 30th Jan 2015 at 8:40 PM
Maybe the question needs to be asked in reverse. We should say, "What system does NOT run Sims 2?" I am hearing bad rumors that most modern microsoft 8 is aggressive to TS2, yes? But by now there should be work-arounds I would think.

I am running on a Windows Vista Home Premium. It is fine to run this game but I have installed a graphics card. Nvidia GeForce. I do not like Radeon graphics! The Radeon are usually on cheap laptops and cheap computers. Always Nvidia for me. Not that Nvidia has not had it's problems in the past. It was so stupid to take on that 3d project was a waste. But with some research one can figure out easy how to shut off stupid 3d graphics and get a good drivers' package to operate the Nvidia graphic card.

You are needing a special place where the doggies cannot get your breakables I think. Perhaps a garage sale or salvation army desk/dresser/cabinet? I am living in a small space but yet I had to fit in a desk recently was much heavy to carry. Also, if laptop, never let the battery fall out that is sure to get the "white screen of doom."

Good luck.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 30th Jan 2015 at 9:40 PM
The only problem with Windows 8/8.1 is they put something in there that makes both My Doc. and the Programs folder for Sims 2 read only and My Doc. needs to be read and write for the game to run. If you use any mod/hack that must go into the Programs folder of Sims 2 you must change it to read and write to other wise Windows will revert back on restarting of your computer.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Page 1 of 2