Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#26 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 11:08 PM
Yes, right now I am up for a fun time in SimPE restoring eyes. I had a set of eyes which recently got put on Maxis sclera, I had to change, so I pulled my older set. I knew what I was up for. It's not every sim but certainly a good handful that were wearing them. Most though have finished having their kids and are about to turn elder, so if I miss a few of those sims I am not bothered. I'm not sure why, but my game now defaults back to a grey eye no longer that painted on brown. It a slightly strange eye but not so bad, so if non playable/elder turns up with it I won't be overly bothered.

Is that large enough to see? That is the grey eyes I get. That sims is downloaded and I took off her cc before installing meaning to use my own eye but when I saw her with that I thought maybe I had left her eye. Since pulling that other set I know it's not.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 25th Mar 2017 at 12:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
You can remove them alright but you will have problems if you try to breed from any sim who was wearing them. What they usually do is default back to the S2 skintone but that's not what it says in the SimDNA relating to your sim.

So what does it says in the sim DNA tab then..does it still lists the deleted skin?

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#28 Old 25th Mar 2017 at 12:57 AM
Yes, Rosebine.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#29 Old 25th Mar 2017 at 1:01 AM
You have to change it to the new skin code that you want the sim to wear. The easiest and what I will do with the eyes is simply switch back to Maxis code and let these sims wear my default eyes.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#30 Old 25th Mar 2017 at 1:25 AM
Yes, indeed. I am thinking of having ONLY default replacement skin..and maybe just one or 2 custom ones. or not even.
Then genetizise them as I want.
It would then make it easier to edit their DNA, since i will know exactly what they are now wearing. I *think* lol

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#31 Old 25th Mar 2017 at 2:11 AM
Well if you have Sim A wearing X skin and you want Sim B to also wear that skin just open up Sim A, copy their skin code and paste it into Sim B's code box. Perhaps if you make the skin you will know that code some other way, I would have no clue on that.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#32 Old 25th Mar 2017 at 11:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Voeille
That’s interesting, I thought that custom eyes are dominant over alien eyes, not equal to them.

Quote: Originally posted by velvetina
Alien eyes are NOT at the same value as custom eyes, they are at the same dominant level as brown and dark blue eyes. You can check that when you play the Curious family and Pascal's baby is born, because it can have alien, dark blue or brown eyes.

Gah! Yes, sorry, my bad. Must've been tired when typing that. You're both right, of course. Alien skin is equal to (non-geneticized) custom skin in dominance; alien eyes are equal to brown/dark blue EAxis eyes in dominance.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#33 Old 25th Mar 2017 at 4:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
So what does it says in the sim DNA tab then..does it still lists the deleted skin?

You know when I posted that reply I was sure you'd ask that but didn't put the information in because I'm trying to stop myself writing long wordy posts. Eh well. I see Nysha answered anyway.
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Yes, right now I am up for a fun time in SimPE restoring eyes. I had a set of eyes which recently got put on Maxis sclera, I had to change, so I pulled my older set. I knew what I was up for. It's not every sim but certainly a good handful that were wearing them.

What I'd probably do in that situation is just replace the original texture in the original eye file with the new one. Much quicker than running round finding the sims wearing them (even if I have a list) - if you have five default colours, it means five texture replacements rather than a dozen sims fiddling with their DNA. Also less likely to cause a problem by making a mistake.

I have no idea what's up with your grey eye - must be grey on the skintone because that's what it defaults to if you remove the eye file (they really have no eye file in that case).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#34 Old 25th Mar 2017 at 10:59 PM
@maxon how do I do that? I was thinking about loading SimPE now, but that sounds like a good idea only I have no idea how to do it.

~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#35 Old 25th Mar 2017 at 11:30 PM Last edited by maxon : 25th Mar 2017 at 11:48 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
@maxon how do I do that? I was thinking about loading SimPE now, but that sounds like a good idea only I have no idea how to do it.

Put both files in the same folder - preferably an empty one in Downloads or on your desktop or something

1. You get hold of the texture you want to use (the new one). You can do this by opening the new eye file in SimPE, going to the texture image (TXTR), right click on it and chose export. Save it (I usually stick it temporarily in the same folder - you can delete it later)

2. Open your default eye file. Go to the texture image (TXTR - same place in other words), and import the new texture to REPLACE the one in there. You can do this simply by right-clicking again and chosing import. But you get a better quality replacement if you have DDS Utilities installed so I would recommend that - in that case you Build DXT. If you don't know how to do that (and you really should have DDS Utilities installed if you can - it does a much better job with graphics), ask again.

3. Once done, click commit and Save. Test. Delete all the bits - the texture you extracted and the first eye file you extrated it from - and put your updated file back in with the others in your Downloads folder. It will have the same codes as the original (you just replaced the texture, nothing else) so anyone wearing it will get the new eye.

With simple textures, this is all you need to do. You need to watch out for alphas and shadows and things with multiple textures (skintones and hairs for example - still entirely doable though) but simple stuff is straightforward. Eyes are simple. One texture. I do it all the time with objects replacing the default colour. With new objects, often the default colour is grey (fair enough, it's often the colour you start out with when making objects because it's easy to recolour grey textures). I never use grey things in my game though - ugh - and so I started replacing them with one of the recolours I liked better. At the time I started, saving file sizes was a thing so that's a bonus too. I've even done it with walls (even simpler than eyes) when I'd already used the wall somewhere and just wanted to update the texture without going back into the game and finding where I'd used it by finding empty walls as I trolled around. I mean walls are simple enough to make and it's daft really to do that but I did anyway.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Instructor
#36 Old 25th Mar 2017 at 11:45 PM
Here's the same tutorial maxon gave, but with images. I used it because I found a nice eyeset, but I didn't like the defaults given, so I made my own: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...pic,8005.0.html
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#37 Old 25th Mar 2017 at 11:52 PM
Oh look at that. I learned how to do it myself. Eh well.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#38 Old 26th Mar 2017 at 2:00 AM
Thanks both of you. I hope I didn't empty my recycle bin, since I tossed the first eye set a few days ago.

I am going to save all that text you wrote into Word.

~Call me Jo~
Page 2 of 2