Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jan 2012 at 2:18 AM Last edited by minimogut : 5th Jun 2012 at 1:33 AM.
Default When the Clock Winds Down
Midnight. I looked at the mahogany wood clock on the mantel; I had been feeling this for days, a conflict, to be resolved soon. I rocked slowly in my chair, the chair my father had carved. Back and forth, back and forth, creak, creak, creak... I closed my eyes, to rest for a second.
Golden sunlight streamed across my face. I blinked wearily, even though I had obviously slept through the rest of the night, and most of the morning.

I groaned and stood up; my footsteps echoed over the floor. I was the only one left in the house, after my parents died. I was reaching the end of my golden age as well, and no heir to succeed me. The house would go to seed in the hands of the town, or it would be wrecked by a young couple. I walked into the kitchen to find the silverware and glassware spread out in a pattern on the counter. I could have always done that without remembering it, my memory nowadays. I cleared away the mess and started to prepare my morning meal.

A slight knock on the door jolted me out of my thoughts as I ate. I walked to the front door, expecting that annoying real estate agent. Instead, I found a package on the front steps, sitting in the lap of a young girl, probably thirteen.

"This is for you. Can I come in?" said the girl bluntly. Her hair was black, and her face was made up with black eye-paint. Without waiting for an answer, she walked in, clutching the package closely. I closed the door behind her. She set the package down next to the clock.

"Read this note," she said, handing me a tattered scrap of paper. "Do not, under any circumstances, open the package before the clock winds down." She gave me a warning glance and walked back into the foyer. She opened the door, glared at me and left. I sat down in my chair, slightly perplexed. I opened the note and turned on the lamp by my chair. "Do not hide from what comes inevitably. Face with the bravery of Darjhi and the wiliness of Jirihed. You may get out of what comes afterward if you fight like your warrior ancestors." A thump came from upstairs, followed by a shrill scream as a black creature tumbled down the stairs. It focused its beady, red eyes on me and advanced slowly. I backed into the kitchen, feeling a strange sensation on me. I searched the counter behind me for something - anything - as the creature got closer. I grabbed a knife when the creature got so close, I could feel and smell it's moist, rancid breath onto my face. I swung the knife across its face as it lunged forward. A black liquid oozed out onto the floor, burning tiny holes wherever it landed.

It howled with rage, trying to stumble away from me as I stabbed it over and over again. The final blow left it smoking - literally - on my kitchen floor. I felt a weird sensation in the pit of my stomach and I ran into the bathroom, just to get away from the corpse. I looked into the mirror and screamed. Instead of a normal, sixty year old woman, there was me, as I had looked forty years ago.

I slowly reached out to touch the mirror; the girl copied me. My hair was shiny and black, like a raven's wing; the wrinkles were gone and I was thin - twiggy, my friends used to call me. My skin was dusted with a light layer of freckles, which - only ten years ago - had disappeared along with my garden, upstaged by a bout of arthritis which - in light of very recent events - was gone. Obviously, the arthritis prevented me from going outside very often, leading the disappearing of the sun spots. I just wasn't sure what had caused this.

Another strange thing was the clothes I was wearing. They looked very old - breeches, a tight black tunic with a thick belt around the middle, and a claymore in its sheath on my back. I didn't understand any of it: my backwards aging, my clothes, the girl or the creature. I heard another shrill scream somewhere downstairs as I pondered.

Without a second thought, I pulled the claymore out of it's sheath and slowly exited my bathroom. To find it, I would either have to wait for it to come upstairs, or I would have to go into my cellar, a thought that disturb me immensely. I had never liked the place because it was so dark and damp. It was also a horrible place to battle something deadly, seeing as there were boxes - most of them empty, therefore tripping hazards - all over the place. It turned my cellar into a maze of darkness, dust, musty cobwebs and fear. And danger, let's not forget danger. I had no idea what to do; both plans seemed stupid.

THE CAT HAIR WIZARD
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 2nd Jan 2012 at 4:38 AM
Well, I am liking it. And I can't wait to read more Keep up the awesome work :D

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 2nd Jan 2012 at 4:58 AM
Wow. That was probably one of the best stories I ever read. Keep it up!

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? The world may never (falling anvil drops on head)
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 2nd Jan 2012 at 10:27 PM
Wow, thanks guys! ^__^

THE CAT HAIR WIZARD
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Jan 2012 at 2:27 AM
Update!

THE CAT HAIR WIZARD
Test Subject
#6 Old 28th Feb 2012 at 3:42 PM
I love it!

May Your Life Be As Long, And As Useful, As A Roll Of Toilet Paper
Grammar: The difference between knowing your garbage and knowing you're garbage. ;P
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 12:01 AM
Thank you! Oh yeah, and I updated!

THE CAT HAIR WIZARD
Banned
#8 Old 30th Apr 2012 at 7:34 PM
I love this!
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 5th Jun 2012 at 1:26 AM
Thank you very much. *thread bump*

THE CAT HAIR WIZARD
Test Subject
#10 Old 5th Jul 2012 at 7:17 AM
I like it! Suspense-full and well written!
Nice work!

:) Sarah (:
“The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.”
-Unknown
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 12th Jul 2012 at 9:10 PM
I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please update soon.!

I'm currently have 616 downloads and their all in their little folders.