Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Nov 2012 at 2:45 AM
Default Why is Mansions & Gardens so Expensive?
I managed to find a copy on ebay for 10.99 plus shipping, but most were very expensive and even more on Amazon. Most on ebay were over $20, and a couple and the only seller on amazon it was $59.99(!!!!!) Why would that be? Other stuff packs and EPs were way less - some like 2.99.

eta just looked on Amazon - 49.99 new but 29.99 used - another seller 74.99 (!!!!!) - yet another seller has fun with pets collection which includes M &G plus pets and family fun stuff for under $10.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 29th Nov 2012 at 2:55 AM
Are you checking where the seller comes from? Often I get excited to see something cheap then realize the item only appears inexpensive because the seller comes from another country and once exchange rates and postage costs are factored in sometimes a bargain might not be so much of a bargain. Otherwise maybe they think what they are selling is hard to get and are simply out to make a larger profit. At least you got it a good price, which is the main thing right?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#3 Old 29th Nov 2012 at 3:42 AM
Supply and demand, I'm guessing. Mansions and Gardens was the last Stuff Pack that came out before the Sims 3 was released a few months later. People probably bought less copies and less copies were manufactured compared to other EPs and SPs which likely had a longer shelf life. So compare M&G which has about 20 copies available on Amazon to say, Teen Style, which has nearly 100 available. They can charge more for it because there's less of them.
Banned
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Nov 2012 at 3:59 AM
If I hadn't thought of it I'd have bought the <$10 Fun With Pets and sold the Pets EP for maybe $10 and the Family Fun Stuff SP for maybe $2 on ebay (both plus shipping) and ended up making a profit from the buy.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 29th Nov 2012 at 12:00 PM
I ended up paying $20 for my copy of M+G on Amazon. In my opinion, it was not worth the $20. If you can find it for nice and cheap, get it. If not, don't. I believe that they no longer manufacture these games due to their ages, causing prices to rise (less supply, more demand, higher prices.)
Alchemist
#6 Old 29th Nov 2012 at 2:35 PM
When I see that M&G S is getting ''rare'' and could be sold for 15+ EUR, I get the urge to sell mine with K&B S

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#7 Old 29th Nov 2012 at 3:33 PM
Reason I would have done the buy the pack and sell pets and family fun is I already have those 2. After this I'll have all the EPs except Freetime (which I'm winning on ebay) and Bon Voyage, and all the SPs except the Holidays ones.
Instructor
#8 Old 29th Nov 2012 at 4:32 PM
Wow. Makes me happy I bought this stuff pack as soon as it came out (the only one I did this with). I usually waited on stuff packs or didn't buy them at all. I noticed the same thing happened with the glamour life stuff: I don't own this one and won't pay the outrageous prices I found it for. Luckily, one of my kids' friends had it and let us have it on permanent loan. I hope you find it--I actually like M&G better than lots of the other sp's, simply because of the great flowers it adds, and some of the cool architectural details. Good Luck!!!
Inventor
#9 Old 29th Nov 2012 at 6:06 PM
@ MattShizzle , FwP ( which I bought for the M and G for $19.99 at Walmart about 2 years ago)) is just a single disc , so you wouldn't have been able to split it up for sale. It ( M and G) has the very latest , and last , version of the game engine which is a good thing. However , the only reason I bought it was so I could use Tarlia's Uberhood(s). I'd have much rather kicked her the bucks if it were possible.

I've always felt like I could find much better free content ( furniture , clothes, hair , etc) in minimal time than any of the SP's offered , so never saw the point in purchasing any of them.
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#10 Old 29th Nov 2012 at 7:18 PM
MOOKIEBLAYLOCK is right, it's because of the updated game engine. MG originally sold for more than any other SP because it was coded more like an EP. When you upload a lot with MG you can't remove that SP with CleanInstaller like you can with every other SP. I bought it when it first came out and it's still my favorite stuff pack. I love all the plants and the architecture stuff, it's a builder's dream come true.

As for why it's expensive on ebay, likely the supply and demand answer has some bearing on it. There are just fewer copies of it floating around. It's also not as old as the others so people who waited to buy it used are still in the market, whereas everyone who wanted to buy Family Fun Stuff has more than likely already bought, played, uninstalled, and sold their copies by now.
#11 Old 29th Nov 2012 at 9:23 PM
I got all of my games from Amazon. They are so cheap and I even got some used copies of some of the games. Just read the description to make sure the used versions discs aren't scratched and that it comes with the manual.
Banned
Original Poster
#12 Old 29th Nov 2012 at 10:09 PM
ebay you have to watch even closer. Some unethical sellers make their description a HUGE wall of text that nobody is going to read the entire thing and hide somewhere in there that the item is broken.
Banned
Original Poster
#13 Old 1st Dec 2012 at 2:57 AM
Next question - and this goes for other EPs/SPs.
Why do the EAxis made houses that are apparently meant to be for rich sims have PWT furniture/appliances/bathrooms? Seriously why would a rich sim have the cheapest possible kitchen appliances/furniture/tvs/plumbing objects? You basically have an exterior that is world class and an interior that would be embarassing in the ghetto or trailer park.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 1st Dec 2012 at 4:33 AM
Why are you asking us (and double-posting), Mr. Shizzle? We can't read their minds.

Since the houses that ship with the game are all more or less impossible, my own theory is that building was subcontracted to people not on the development team who would work cheap, possibly the company's janitors, who took the opportunity to take revenge on people with the time and money to waste on computer games.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#15 Old 1st Dec 2012 at 11:08 AM
Well I got the Sims 2 base game and IKEA stuff pack for $10 and $6 postage from eBay, and it was local

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Steam ID: PadukSteam
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 8th Dec 2012 at 11:28 AM
If you go to stores that sell used copies of games usually they are pretty cheap. In the UK we have CEX and Sims 2 games are literally overflowing on the shelves.

"Just Breathe"
Instructor
#17 Old 8th Dec 2012 at 6:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MattShizzle
If I hadn't thought of it I'd have bought the <$10 Fun With Pets and sold the Pets EP for maybe $10 and the Family Fun Stuff SP for maybe $2 on ebay (both plus shipping) and ended up making a profit from the buy.

Thank you for this genius idea! I just had a look on the UK Amazon: M&G is £8.99 at the cheapest, and FWP is £7.99! So I think I might go and sell my Pets EP on Ebay and get FWP, so I get Pets back, plus two free (or at least very cheap) SPs too. Seriously, why did I never think of this before?

Call me Abi if you want, it's easier to type than my username!
Mad Poster
#18 Old 8th Dec 2012 at 7:04 PM
Because you didn't want to deal with the Store Edition?

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Inventor
#19 Old 8th Dec 2012 at 10:09 PM
The store edition is included with FwP , but not a mandatory install. When you get the popup for what/what not to install with FwP , just make the appropriate choice for yourself. For me , that was a resounding do not want.
Instructor
#20 Old 8th Dec 2012 at 10:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MOOKIEBLAYLOCK
The store edition is included with FwP , but not a mandatory install. When you get the popup for what/what not to install with FwP , just make the appropriate choice for yourself. For me , that was a resounding do not want.

I really hope this is true, I definitely don't want the store edition! I had heard something about the store edition being included in collection packs, but I guess I must have just got a bit carried away with thinking I'd discovered a flawless plan.

Call me Abi if you want, it's easier to type than my username!
#21 Old 10th Dec 2012 at 10:11 PM
Also MattShizzle, do you happen to have Family Fun stuff or the Pets EP? The Fun With Pets Collection set comes with both and Mansion and Garden stuff. I got it last year for Christmas along with Double Deluxe and mine was only $20! Good deal for 2 SPs and 1 EP. Although a lot of people dislike Family Fun and Pets, I still love them If I had to get Mansion & Garden stuff I would probably spend $35 if I had to for it, because I love the Victorian homes and the garden stuff is booty-full. And personally when I'm older I want to live in a small cottage with a huge yard and landscaping is what makes a house beautiful if you ask me. I love the outdoors.... which is exactly why I'm sitting inside on the computer? Haha
Banned
Original Poster
#22 Old 10th Dec 2012 at 10:57 PM
Yeah, I said I have both. Family fun is kind of crappo, though. A lot of the pets objects are, too - ie the stuff that is in the style of how people in the 50s thought things would be like today.
Field Researcher
#23 Old 14th Dec 2012 at 2:35 PM
OP, M&G is only worth what you are willing to pay. Some sellers on both sites Ebay and Amazon like to stick to customers since Ebay is sticking it to sellers these days. There is no longer any 'seller' protection so that cost is passed onto the buyer. Why? Because Ebay will allow a buyer to purchase an item, claim it is not what was described (whether it is or not) and then allow the buyer to keep it, and take the money out of the seller's account to refund...and the buyer gets to dis the seller about how they lied under their reputation. But the Seller is no longer able to give a bad feedbck to any buyer...even if they are nonpaying customers...that option is no longer available. Ebay wants rid of small/yard sale/garage sale/sellers and that is the way to do it. Because they now cator to the larger in bulk sellers from China..and or online stores...and it is all chainging there. It is bad for the buyer and the seller...since it was built on a small seller selling stuff they no longer wanted...not a multi million item drop shipper/seller.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 14th Dec 2012 at 7:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by starryeyedSim
OP, M&G is only worth what you are willing to pay. Some sellers on both sites Ebay and Amazon like to stick to customers since Ebay is sticking it to sellers these days. There is no longer any 'seller' protection so that cost is passed onto the buyer. Why? Because Ebay will allow a buyer to purchase an item, claim it is not what was described (whether it is or not) and then allow the buyer to keep it, and take the money out of the seller's account to refund...and the buyer gets to dis the seller about how they lied under their reputation. But the Seller is no longer able to give a bad feedbck to any buyer...even if they are nonpaying customers...that option is no longer available. Ebay wants rid of small/yard sale/garage sale/sellers and that is the way to do it. Because they now cator to the larger in bulk sellers from China..and or online stores...and it is all chainging there. It is bad for the buyer and the seller...since it was built on a small seller selling stuff they no longer wanted...not a multi million item drop shipper/seller.

I haven't been on ebay, but I kind of believe that, mainly because EVERY mainstream site is doing this but in many different ways, to a certain extent.
Edit: I sound like a hipster

Sherlock is beautiful. That is all. Well, almost all. I'm a guy, so don't confuse that. Also I'm a Timelord....ok I lied about that one. I would like to be a Timelord though!
Instructor
#25 Old 14th Jan 2013 at 3:50 PM
Is there a patch for M&G? I'm just asking because I'm debating on whether to get this stuff pack or not.
Page 1 of 3