Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 4:00 AM Last edited by Eidola : 20th Dec 2017 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Update 3
Default Mod Constructor v3: Staged Buffs - Various Issues (possibly resolved, stay tuned)
EDIT NOTE: See Edit 3 for most recent update. This baby is possibly almost resolved!

Hey guys! After a lot of thought and (attempted) research, I've decided to take the plunge into modding. I'm starting out with traits.

I downloaded Zerbu's Mod Constructor v3 (which I'm aware is in testing), ran through the tutorial at least a dozen times, and I've come up against a brick wall. For the life of me, I can't seem to figure out how to decrease/eliminate a buff through a particular interaction in the game. Specifically, I'm trying to get rid of a Tense buff (with four stages) by having the affected sim drink something from a bar. Ideally, this would eliminate the shown buff (regardless of its stage), leaving only the hidden core buff active (and of course allowing for the increasing commodity staging to continue later in sim-time). I figure (though could be very wrong) that this could work similarly to motives, such as when a sim is hungry and then eats something of enough substance, the hunger buff goes away.

Is there a way to program this type of interaction with Mod Constructor v3? What am I missing? Or does this require a more script-like approach? I'm entirely new to this, so any tips would be a huge help.

Thanks for reading!
- Eidola

EDIT 1: Okay, so after messing around with Mod Constructor for several more hours, I finally figured out how to remove (and replace!) those staged buffs. But now I have a new issue. When the programming removes the buff, it seems to eliminate the staged buffs completely. The only "fix" I've been able to figure out is to send the sim traveling via the phone, bring them back, then wait approximately a full sim-day before the staged buffs appear again. I suspect this has something to do with the way I've set up the timing (buff duration/cooldown time), but I can't figure it out, because from what I understand I've set it so that the staged buffs will start every four hours if not already applied. Thoughts?

EDIT 2: While trying to figure out (thus far unsuccessfully) how to make the staged buffs reappear, I was messing with some settings in Mod Constructor. It appears I've messed something up, as I'm now getting an error message when I export the file (see attached picture). I've looked at all "Buff" settings (in what I'm pretty sure is the right subsection of the element tree) as well as all references (since that's what the error seems to be pointing to) throughout the project, and I can't figure out where and what I've messed up. Being a complete newbie with a pretty new version of this tool, this is all pretty confusing and I can't seem to find any useful information anywhere.

It's also worth noting that when I tried out the errored export in-game, I couldn't get any of the staged buffs to appear. Broadcasters and proximity buffs still seem to function fine (yay for minor success?), but none of the staged buffs work anymore.

I've also uploaded the errored project file (I'm pretty sure it's the correct file, anyway) if anyone would be willing to take a look. It would be greatly appreciated! If this thing ever gets off up the ground, you'd definitely get in the credits section when I upload it.

EDIT 3: This might be resolved. I made a new project file in Mod Constructor and, using the existing framework I uploaded here, I started creating this thing more or less from scratch. I'm no longer getting export errors, and I've even found a much better work around for getting the staged buffs to appear/disappear as I want them to. Looks like my main issues were in buff durations/cooldown times, as well as referencing all the correct statistics to get this to do what I wanted. Still no idea what was causing the export error in the original, but right now it looks like everything is working as intended.

I plan to keep this thread listed as "possibly resolved" until I'm certain this is working correctly, just in case I run into further issues as I try to add more features to the trait.

Assuming all goes well, expect to see a new trait show up in Creator Feedback for testing! In case it wasn't obvious by the file name: this is a trait to turn your gloriously imperfect sims into alcoholics! If this has been done already and has been updated to work with the current game version, I haven't found it. So, look forward to this!
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Eidola_AlcoholicTrait.Element.zip (18.9 KB, 56 downloads) - View custom content