Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jun 2012 at 9:13 AM
Default Tales Of Uncharted Lands
Tales Of Uncharted Lands

Prologue

It was a rainy November night in New York city. The cold rain drops were hitting the empty streets like sticks on a drum. Huge lightning was almost tearing the sky apart, followed by loud and really scary thunders, like the voices of forsaken gods. The electricity was out in this part of Manhattan, where the Norman family had their residence. Mina Norman, the 20 year old daughter of Jessie and Alan, wasn't asleep. She was watching the beautiful natural show that was going on outside. Mina always watched the raindrops race to the bottom of the window, and thought about which one could have been first. But this time, it was something special. The following day would have marked 3 years since she saw her grandpa be literally struck by lightning. He died instantly, and this scarred her for life. Since then, she wasn't the same sociable person; Mina turned into an introvert, leaving the house only when she needed to go to college, where everyone ignored her, as they thought she was a weirdo. Nobody knew about the happening, nor did she care to share it with her classmates. She didn't need anything else but her books, a pen and a paper on which she could write anything that came to her mind, usually dark and sad things, but who could ask for more from her?

The clock announced midnight, and the beginning of the 11th of November, the day that changed Mina's life. She covered her face with her hands and started quietly sobbing in pain. Her grandpa had always been her best friend, the only person that stood by her whenever she needed someone most, even more so than her own parents. But there was clearily more to the story than anyone knew. "Beyond this place of wrath and tears, // Looms but the horror of the shade, // And yet the menace of the years // Finds and shall find me unafraid...". She kept repeating these verses from Invictus, by William Henley, as she felt like they would give her strength.

"Sweetheart..." her mother mumbled sleepily, as she entered Mina's room. She'd only waken up to go to the bathroom, but heard her daughter crying. "Do you really want to spend everyday crying about something that's happened 3 years ago?"

"You don't know, mother. You don't know anything about my pain, nobody does, and I don't want to share it either." Mina said, with half of her mouth, not even turning her face away from the wet window.

"Don't tell me you still believe in your grandfather's tales about magic and all that?"

Mina sarcastically laughed and signaled her mother to leave. Yes, she did believe in his 'tales', but she knew better than to think they were only tales. What her eyes had seen, only fantasy books had had written on them. Jessie left, rolling her eyes; she tried talking to her daughter, to convince her that her grandpa had a serious case of Schizophrenia, or at least that's what she knew. Obviously, Mina believed something else, that his apparent illness was actually a sign that everything he said was true. It was only her that knew his secrets, and he made her promise she'd bring those secrets with her in the grave.

"Heh, you don't know, mother... you don't know..."

To be continued...

So there it was, my first story on this site. Hope I did well. Anyway, this was just an introduction, the next parts will surely be longer. I am excited. Very, very excited about it.

Evil doesn't worry about not being good. - The Warden, Dragon Age Origins
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 11th Jun 2012 at 3:45 PM
This is really good, The Creeper. Really good. Now you got me excited for the whats to come! :D

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Banned
#3 Old 11th Jun 2012 at 5:51 PM
It's awesome! It's really interesting!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#4 Old 11th Jun 2012 at 6:17 PM
Thanks, guys (well, girls :D). I'll post a chapter once a day, I think. I feel really excited when I start a new story, I don't know why. xD

Banned
#5 Old 11th Jun 2012 at 6:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by The Creeper
Thanks, guys (well, girls :D). I'll post a chapter once a day, I think. I feel really excited when I start a new story, I don't know why. xD
I ALWAYS get excited when I start a new story too. Like I said, it's great, Please continue!
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 11th Jun 2012 at 9:59 PM
It happens to us all, The Creeper. I love writing new stories. If they go, then they go. If they don't, well, I know in my eyes its awesome, and I'll keep writing. Excitement is part of the rush of making a new story. I always feel what my characters are feeling. When Raven was watching Aurora coming down the aisle, I gotta little teary eyed o.O

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Alchemist
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th Jun 2012 at 8:28 AM
Chapter I

The nightsky was slowly colouring grey, as the sun was rising through the thick layer of clouds, but the rain had stopped. Mina fell asleep on the chair next to the window, but she woke up when the sun rised completely, at around 7 am. She couldn't cherish the beginning of another day as she usually did, because it was that day that changed everything. Mina's grandfather told her that, 3 years after his death, she should check his closet. Of course, she was young and naive at the time, she thought he was going to live a lot longer, but now it all made sense. He felt he was close to his death back then.

Mina took a deep breath and stood up, then stretched and yawned. It was really early for her to wake up, but it was an even more important day than she knew at that time. She carefully walked to her grandpa's bedroom, so that she wouldn't wake up her parents; Mina didn't need more questions than she was able to answer. As she opened the old door, it creeked and let out a painfully strong ammonia smell. The room had clearly not been opened since the owner's death. Everything was as he left them: his clothes on the bed, Mina's Maths notebook on the desk (he had been her Maths mentor in High School) and a weird painting hanging above the bed, that he either never knew what it actually was or he didn't want to explain. She looked around and teared up, remembering that last day she had spent with him. She walked towards the closed and opened it, pulling hard, as it was old and dusty.

Inside the closet, Mina saw clothes that smelled like naphtalene, which made her cover her nose. She couldn't notice anything special at the first glance, but then she knelt and looked closely on the bottom of the closet. A huge book, with gnawed pages and a rusty metal inscription on the cover which she couldn't read was sitting on there for what resembled an eternity. She took the book out of there, but her mother was already widely awake and standing at the door.

"Exactly what are you doing scavenging through your grandfather's belongings?"

"Why does it matter?"

"Mina, look, I locked this door for a reason..."

Mina widely opened her eyes, weirded out. The door was clearly not locked when she came in, she could easily open it. Plus, she didn't have the slightest idea as to where the key might have been. But she kept quiet.

"I don't want anyone disturbing anything here."

"It's a room, mum. Plus, it's not like I broke anything, I just need this book, please."

Jessie sighed and crossed her arms. "I think we might need you to visit a psychologist. This 'magic' thing has been going on for too long. I understand that you grieve for your grandpa, but this is insane."

Mina frowned and walked past her, then slammed her bedroom door closed. Nobody cared to listen to what she had to say, nobody cared to see her view. She did think she didn't need anybody to care, but a psychologist? This was too much. She wasn't crazy, nor wasn't she in need of special counseling. She simply followed her grandfather's words. And it was enough for her. Deep inside, Mina longed for her mother's understanding, but it was too much to ask from Jessie, the most skeptical person she had ever met.

Anyway, she proceeded to open the book. Or, better said, she tried opening it. It seemed somehow stuck, like it was a lock holding it tightly closed. Mina rubbed her forehead and frowned, concentrated. A couple of minutes later, she gave up and put the book on the desk. "Dammit..." she mumbled, let down. Suddenly, a thick, mysterious voice with a strong Russian accent began talking:

"I didn't expect the last of the Normans to give up so easily. Disappointing, thoroughly disappointing..."

Banned
#8 Old 12th Jun 2012 at 11:24 PM
Wow, this is great and very interesting. I love it!
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 13th Jun 2012 at 5:11 AM
Amazing, just purely amazing, The Creeper, LOVE IT :D

Alchemist
Original Poster
#10 Old 14th Jun 2012 at 7:38 PM
Chapter II

Mina looked around, but the voice apparently had no source. She kept rubbing her eyes; it wouldn't have been the first time she'd had weird visions, but this time it seemed more real than ever. She stood up, closed her eyes and tried to hear the voice again.

"Yes, Mina, that is the way I know you... So confident in your abilities, so convinced that magic exists..." the voice spoke again.

"Show yourself!" the girl yelled.

"Otherwise...? You can't touch me. You don't even know if I am a being, if I am matter... or anti-matter." it spoke again.

Mina started moving her hands up and down, trying to reach this unknown speaker, its existence beginning to turn into one of her visions. Jessie heard Mina's yelling and entered the room, scared that her daughter might have another Schizophrenia attack. She saw her desperately moving her arms in the air, almost like fighting an unseen figment of her imagination. Jessie covered her mouth with her hands and called Alan.

"I can't believe this is happening again..." he mumbled, and looked at his wife.

"Should we call the psychologist?"

"More like psychiatrist."

The girl stopped and fell on her knees, giving up. She could swear that, since her grandfather died, she was getting crazier and crazier. She heard voices, she saw spirits around the house, creepily smiling at her and speaking to her in languages she had never heard before. Everyone thought Mina was a schizo, but that's what they thought about her grandpa too.

"Sweety, get up..." her mother said, sobbing. She was really concerned for her daughter's fate. "We need to take you to the psychiatrist, I'm sorry..."

Mina frowned and sighed. "Mom, I'm not crazy, I just... Don't take me there, I'm begging you."

"That's just pathetic. Humans do this too often, don't they, Mina? They deem evil the things they can't control, they can't grasp." the voice spoke again, this time it felt close as if it was speaking next to her ear. She covered her years and tightly closed her eyes.

"See, Mina? This is why we're taking you there."

"No." she said, swiftly, with such a plain voice, as if her emotions were gone.

Alan grabbed her arm and pulled her out of her room, then shut the door closed. He was furious. He'd always been a bit abusive, as his own daughter loved his father more than him. He'd always disregarded his father's beliefs and was angry that they were shoved down his daughter's throat. Suddenly, Mina freed herself from his grasp with an almost unnatural force. Her eyes turned red, and, when she looked at him, Alan slowly backed away.

"Take your hands off her, you filthy mortal fool! If you were not blessed with arcane powers, it doesn't mean you should disregard them like the idiot you are!" the voice from before spoke through Mina, this time with a more feminine nuance.

Alan and Jessie backed off until they hit themselves in the wall. Mina, or whatever she was now, was walking towards them. She frowned with all her face muscles and raised her index finger at the two. "If by any chance Mina is forced to do anything else than she wants, I swear you'll regret it. Mortals have no power over us, so you have no power over Mina. We all know you are not her parents; we have given her to you so that she would be prepared for what was to come, and because you wanted a child, but you couldn't have one. Do NOT make us regret our choice."

The two knelt before the creature that possessed Mina. "Anything you want, our Dark Mistress. We are sorry for our misbehaviour."

"You better believe you are." the voice mumbled and then Mina collapsed on the floor.

The two looked at each other. "We should have never accepted this deal, Jessie."

"I know, Alan." she said, looking at Mina and sighing. "I know."

Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 14th Jun 2012 at 8:34 PM
Holy shit! That was really good. I love it!

EDIT: And I love your Avatar.

Alchemist
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th Jun 2012 at 8:40 PM
Thanks. I didn't really expect it to be this long, I mean, I thought I'd run out of ideas.

Quote: Originally posted by Levera
And I love your Avatar.

You and me both. :D

Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 14th Jun 2012 at 9:53 PM
No need to thank me. Your story is just compelling. I am always seeing if there is a new part Love it!

And woot! Go Shane McCutcheon or Katherine Moennig! (Same person. Katherine plays Shane, but ya know, I do not know how you know of her. O.O As Shane or Katherine. *Couhgs*) WOOT WOOT.

Alchemist
Original Poster
#14 Old 14th Jun 2012 at 10:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Levera
And woot! Go Shane McCutcheon or Katherine Moennig! (Same person. Katherine plays Shane, but ya know, I do not know how you know of her. O.O As Shane or Katherine. *Couhgs*) WOOT WOOT.

I know her as both. Awesome actress, anyway. :D

Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 14th Jun 2012 at 10:46 PM
I know, right? ^.^ Awesomeness! Well, to get back on topic, I am really liking the story, and I can't wait for Chapter 3 :D

Lab Assistant
#16 Old 26th Jun 2012 at 4:07 PM
I LOVE THIS! Very interesting.

I'm currently have 616 downloads and their all in their little folders.