Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th May 2015 at 11:07 AM
Some sims 3 questions I should've asked long ago...
Well I bought this game like October, last year & I've noticed some weird things that bugs me so much but I never have the guts to ask any people here for some reason...

1) Can sims actually beat each other to death?
This was like a couple weeks after I bought the game, so I only have the base game, the only mods I have at the time are hair mods & outfits, no nraas or anything. I saw 2 sims fighting & 1 of them died. I know they died because Grim reaper showed up & the sim turned to an epitaph where he died. I want to know because I have NEVER ever be able to reproduce this scenario, like ever! So was there some sort of traits that will allow sims to beat up other sims to death or something?

2) Does the game change traits on sims that has never been played on to fit their job, or is this some sort of nraas feature I've never heard of?
This happened like in January, by that time I have more mods & nraas stuff. So ever since I started playing, my sim became a good friend of Holly Alto, he discovered 4/5 of her traits & she chose a criminal career. I never figured out the 5th one on this main sim, but his grand daughter did discovered that trait & that trait is evil. So I check the sims wiki & they said Holly Alto is supposed to be a good sim & she's the odd one in her family because her parents are evil so I have no idea why she decided to be a criminal in my game. I don't think I have StoryProgression at that time yet. I eventually installed it & I hate it very very much (I think I still don't know how to use StoryProgression properly). For the nraas stuff I have at the time, I have the basic stuff like Errortrap, Overwatch, Career & MasterController. So yeah, is this a thing?

PS. About the StoryProgression, it seems like I always run into strange problems & I want to give igazor a break...
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 10th May 2015 at 2:04 PM

Not unless you use mods or cheat. If you want to "kill" a sim without mods, you can have two sims fight and then lower the Hunger bar of whichever one you want dead. Certain traits like Hot Headed or Mean Spirited do make sims more prone to starting fights, though.

2) Does the game change traits on sims that has never been played on to fit their job, or is this some sort of nraas feature I've never heard of?

No. Sims can't have their traits changed without the player's intervention.
Isn't Holly Alto a teen when the game starts? If so, she only has 4 traits. The game randomly decides which additional traits to give inactive sims to fill up their traits until they reach 5 i.e. the maximum you can have in a "vanilla/basic" playing style (you can add more via social group influence and a few other ways, though I can't remember which at the moment).
The only time the game decides for you which traits to give to active sims is when they grow up poorly (stressed, bad school performance, no vital toddler skills learned etc.)

EA Story Progression is buggy, I highly recommend getting the Nraas version. It used to piss me off when only puddings (sims with all their features set to 0) would move in and resident EA/player-made families would inexplicably "move" out of town. Plus, at one point, no one got into relationships or had kids, so the town was filling up with elders.

Take the time to get familiar with Nraas SP; it has a ton of options and it can be overwhelming at first, but it's amazing too. And you can shut off most of the features you don't want/need. When I got it I didn't have the patience to read everything so I just poked around in it, then went and read about it when I found options I couldn't understand.
One Minute Ninja'd
#3 Old 10th May 2015 at 4:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sweetdevil

Isn't Holly Alto a teen when the game starts? If so, she only has 4 traits. The game randomly decides which additional traits to give inactive sims to fill up their traits until they reach 5 i.e. the maximum you can have in a "vanilla/basic" playing style (you can add more via social group influence and a few other ways, though I can't remember which at the moment)....................

Just to clarify on this part. The traits bestowed on inactive sims on aging up are not really random. They are subject to some of the same issues as an active might be. If a sim like holly alto ages up to YA and did well in school, she will receive what could be viewed as a "positive" trait, or at least a "neutral" trait. If she did poorly, never going to class and not doing her homework (I know, it's Holly, so that's really unlikely, but it could happen), she would receive a trait from the "negative" pool. Examples of negatives would be evil, mean spirited, grumpy, and, my absolute worst trait a sim can ever have, absent minded. Good traits are the good, friendly, artistic types. Neutral can, for example, be excitable.

This mostly comes up with toddlers aging to child, as inactives never train their toddlers fully in the toddler basic skills, so you end up with a generation of children aging up with at least one "negative" trait on that basis alone. Intrusive game play hint: If you use NRaas MC, you can "train" all the toddlers at once using Advanced/Skill level/age/toddler, and assigning them "training" in walking, talking, potty training, and, if you're feeling generous and want a somewhat educated crowd, peg box and xylophone. Then that group of toddlers will age up to child with "better" traits selected, improving the likelihood your own toddler spawn will find a potential mate among their classmates without settling for a some grumpy, mean spirited sim and hoping they can make it work out anyway. (and of course if you want to keep that on a roll, Intermediate/career/school performance/age/child, teen, and give them all a school performance value of 100, assuring some more decent traits when they age up on their next birthday, assuming you can do it shortly before their birthday/graduation, so they don't fuck up all that hard work you did by blowing off school altogether and ruining that perfect A you creatively handed out for them).
Alchemist
#4 Old 10th May 2015 at 4:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
The traits bestowed on inactive sims on aging up are not really random. They are subject to some of the same issues as an active might be. If a sim like holly alto ages up to YA and did well in school, she will receive what could be viewed as a "positive" trait, or at least a "neutral" trait. If she did poorly, never going to class and not doing her homework (I know, it's Holly, so that's really unlikely, but it could happen), she would receive a trait from the "negative" pool. Examples of negatives would be evil, mean spirited, grumpy, and, my absolute worst trait a sim can ever have, absent minded. Good traits are the good, friendly, artistic types. Neutral can, for example, be excitable.

I'd wager the negative traits are more likely to be assigned, a sim who does poorly won't automatically get only a negative trait. Anecdotal evidence, I know, but I once had a sim with "bad" traits (Evil, Mean Spirited, Couch Potato and one more) who rarely went to school - and if he did, he got detention - and never did his homework. I believe he ended up with the auto-assigned Loves the Outdoors trait. So while this one might not actually be useful - not like Friendly or Natural Cook are, anyway - it certainly isn't completely negative.

But yes, the actions you take in game do influence what traits you end up with.
That being said, it matters only if the sim has good "stats" close to aging up. For example, if you're playing on a lifespan of 14 days for a teen, you can have that teen slack off for 10 days (not homework, no going to school) and power through those 4 remaining days and STILL get to choose a trait if they have a reasonable grade (not sure what the minimum necessary is). Same goes for toddlers; you might as well teach them all 3 skills on the day they age up and it won't matter.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th May 2015 at 10:14 PM

Isn't Holly Alto a teen when the game starts? If so, she only has 4 traits.

EA Story Progression is buggy, I highly recommend getting the Nraas version. It used to piss me off when only puddings (sims with all their features set to 0) would move in and resident EA/player-made families would inexplicably "move" out of town. Plus, at one point, no one got into relationships or had kids, so the town was filling up with elders.

Take the time to get familiar with Nraas SP; it has a ton of options and it can be overwhelming at first, but it's amazing too. And you can shut off most of the features you don't want/need. When I got it I didn't have the patience to read everything so I just poked around in it, then went and read about it when I found options I couldn't understand.

According to my game, my sim met her when she's already a YA. Holly keep showing up at his workplace so I just tell my sim to talk to her. In those 4/5 traits my sim discovered were
-Schmoozer
-vegetarian
-Easily Impressed
-Artistic

According to Sims wiki, it said the other trait is Good & she starts up with Good, Vegetarian, Easily Impressed & Artistic. I never played on her, she decided to work in the criminal career on her own. So is it possible for the game to be like "Since the player has never discovered the 5th trait & this sim is working in the criminal career, I'll change that undiscovered trait to fit her job!"

Yeah, I think I understands StoryProgression more & more now than I was back then. But to me, there's still a lot more for me to learn about StoryProgression.
One Minute Ninja'd
#6 Old 11th May 2015 at 12:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lonerbum
According to Sims wiki, it said the other trait is Good & she starts up with Good, Vegetarian, Easily Impressed & Artistic. I never played on her, she decided to work in the criminal career on her own. So is it possible for the game to be like "Since the player has never discovered the 5th trait & this sim is working in the criminal career, I'll change that undiscovered trait to fit her job!"

No. As a teen, Holly started out, was created with, those traits. When she aged up to YA, she was assigned a fifth trait, which was dependent on her school performance. That she is now in the criminal career is not because of her fifth trait, nor was it "changed" by SP to fit that career. It's probably something unrelated, because even if she did poorly in school, because she is already Good, she could never be given Evil. They would conflict in the same sim, resulting in essentially a Multiple Personality Disorder.

SP is guided in career assignment, however, by the LTW. So if someone has the LTW to be a CEO, they would be placed in the business career. The same for Leader of the Free World, Surgeon, or Rock Star. Plenty of inactive sims with the virtuoso trait can end up in the business career rather than the music career if that's the track that "needs" workers. SP probably needed another thug, so if Holly had no career aspiration LTW, she could have been dragooned in to fill the slot despite her good trait.

If you wish to know the "undiscovered" traits of a sim yourself, before embarking on setting up a friendship, romantic relationship, or a future ex spouse, you can use NRaas MasterController under Status/Personal, and see all the traits that sim actually has so you can decide how your sim should interact with them, or not. But SP does not manipulate traits after they have been pseudorandomly assigned to fit careers.
Alchemist
#7 Old 11th May 2015 at 7:34 AM
Oh, forgot about SP taking into account LTW; good call, eskie227.
Also, Good sims aren't prevented from joining the evil careers. So she could end up in one even without the Evil trait.

If you want to find out traits without being too "cheaty", you can get thril2's Observe More Sim Traits mod. It allows you to learn more traits at once with the Observant reward. I'm using the 10 version and it very rarely misses (active sim only learns 4 traits instead of 5).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 11th May 2015 at 9:21 AM Last edited by Lonerbum : 11th May 2015 at 9:38 AM.
@eskie227
Yeah, that's why this bugs me because I have never played her at all so what changed her trait? According to the sims wiki, Holly was already good, so she can't be evil. Then how come she is evil in my game? I discovered that I can change or observe traits of any sims with MasterController some times later. But at the time, I didn't know I can do this with MasterController.

Here are the traits my main sim discovered about Holly Alto.
-Schmoozer
-vegetarian
-Easily Impressed
-Artistic

So it seems the fifth trait the game gave her would be Schmoozer.

And no, she has always been in the criminal career for as long as I played the game. I think she's still a cutpurse now.
Again, I don't think I have StoryProgression at the time yet. I later did, I'm still learning the ropes of StoryProgression.

@sweetdevil
I have no problem with good sims taking a criminal career, but I just don't know what changed her trait. Was this the game mechanic? Or was it nrass? I've never played on her so what caused this. This thing just bugs me so much for so many months.
Oh, and thanks for the mod link.

Here's a problem I've posted in Nraas forums on StoryProgression & it seems it can't be fixed (unless you count installing woohooer as a fix). StoryProgression seems to neglect No Jealousy LTR so my polygamous household is unplayable as long as I have StoryProgression. Do you have any recommended settings on StoryProgression so I don't have to remove StoryProgression everytime I want to play on polygamous households? Although it's not a big deal because I barely play on them, but I don't want to remove & put StoryProgression back in everytime I want to play on polygamous households if you know what I mean.
Alchemist
#9 Old 11th May 2015 at 10:12 AM
Quote:
I have no problem with good sims taking a criminal career, but I just don't know what changed her trait.

Did your sim interact with her as a Teen or as a Young Adult? Was she in this situation?

IIRC only Woohoer handles jealousy, not SP. And I think No Jealousy is broken either way; I haven't tried it as I use Woohoer but several others have complained about it not working.
Scholar
#10 Old 11th May 2015 at 10:14 AM
@Lonerbum
have you tried messing with castes? I created once three castes particulary for "tribal" poly-society (family/wifes/husbands) to force them to choose specific careers, disallowing breaking and so. It was necessary because while playable family may be controlled and game forced for working (with limitations) that way which simulate multimarriages one way or another (gender regardless), NPCs are out of reach 'till you correct them manually.
However I used also wohooer and if you already get answer from Nraas forum it's more than doubtful if there's any other solution.*

*well - even without NoJealousy LTR you can handle multi-relationships 'till your sim is reasonable unobtrusive

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 11th May 2015 at 6:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
*well - even without NoJealousy LTR you can handle multi-relationships 'till your sim is reasonable unobtrusive

Yes. For example, Janet doesn't visit her beaux at their homes, but sleepovers at our house work well.

Even so, I truly recommend this little unobtrusive mod due to FentonParkNinja, which allows a kiss to be less seriously consequential.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 12th May 2015 at 2:53 AM
Did your sim interact with her as a Teen or as a Young Adult? Was she in this situation?

IIRC only Woohoer handles jealousy, not SP. And I think No Jealousy is broken either way; I haven't tried it as I use Woohoer but several others have complained about it not working.

My sim met her when she's already a YA. For the grand daughter who discovered she's evil, Holly Alto is already an adult. When she met her, the friendship thing always said she's evil all the time, so I don't think Holly drank any trait-changing drinks. Their relationship died down & I told her to talk to Holly again & she's still evil.

So I need woohooer, then? I still don't know how to make the woohooer option appears only in "Extremely Irresistible", they are in the 'Generals' tab all the time. I guess it's good for laugh when 2 sims basically goes "Hi, let's woohoo" all the time...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 12th May 2015 at 2:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
@Lonerbum
have you tried messing with castes? I created once three castes particulary for "tribal" poly-society (family/wifes/husbands) to force them to choose specific careers, disallowing breaking and so. It was necessary because while playable family may be controlled and game forced for working (with limitations) that way which simulate multimarriages one way or another (gender regardless), NPCs are out of reach 'till you correct them manually.
However I used also wohooer and if you already get answer from Nraas forum it's more than doubtful if there's any other solution.*

I've never played around with the caste, I was afraid I might break something, I guess I should try that...
Mad Poster
#14 Old 12th May 2015 at 5:15 AM
Well I bought this game like October, last year & I've noticed some weird things that bugs me so much but I never have the guts to ask any people here for some reason...

This was like a couple weeks after I bought the game, so I only have the base game, the only mods I have at the time are hair mods & outfits, no nraas or anything. I saw 2 sims fighting & 1 of them died. I know they died because Grim reaper showed up & the sim turned to an epitaph where he died. I want to know because I have NEVER ever be able to reproduce this scenario, like ever! So was there some sort of traits that will allow sims to beat up other sims to death or something?

https://youtu.be/VTAoTeUpKnI?t=3m26s

The mod in the video is from here:
http://modthesims.info/d/523924
Alchemist
#15 Old 12th May 2015 at 7:19 AM
So I need woohooer, then? I still don't know how to make the woohooer option appears only in "Extremely Irresistible", they are in the 'Generals' tab all the time. I guess it's good for laugh when 2 sims basically goes "Hi, let's woohoo" all the time...

General -> Species -> Human -> Must Be Romantic For Autonomous* has to be True (it is by default)
When enabled, sims must have a "Romantic Interest" or greater relationship in order to autonomously woohoo.

Romance -> Jealousy Level -> None (this is what you want for polyamory)
Alternatively, you can have all sims involved in the polygamous relationship be Best Friends to each other instead of Romantic Interests or above.
You will still need Woohooer for this, but two of the sims, for example, will be able to interact romantically with each other while the third sim is in the same room and without the third sim throwing a jealous fit.

Romance -> Species -> Human -> Liking Gate For Autonomous
The minimum long-term relationship required between two sim before they will engage in autonomous flirt interactions
This value ranges from -100 to 100
Default: 0

Scoring -> Romantic Liking Gate For User Directed
Whether to gate user directed interactions based on the height of a couple's relationship level
This option also governs whether the "Woohoo" interactions are always displayed, or only shown when your sims are in an "Extremely Irresistable" conversation level.
Default: False

more here