Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Feb 2018 at 12:35 AM
Default European City Apartments
(kind of a generic title, I know)

Hello! Here I come, to the Creator Feedback Forum, with some European-style apartments I'm currently building. My plan is to make a bunch of them and share them as a series. But first, I would like some feedback, if possible.

First of all, I don't really know what style to call these buildings. My original idea was to build Parisian apartments, but while building it morphed into a somewhat Lisbon-like style mixed with the baroque buildings I use in Cities: Skylines, with also some influences from my hometown of Braga. What style do you think these are? Figuring out the style could also help giving the lots a better name . And what do you think of the exterior?
Now, for the interior. Right now, only the ground floor, halls and the master bedroom of the top apartment are furnished - and only on one of the shells. The ground floor of that building will be a café (with MogHughson's mod), but I don't know how the kitchen would be furnished. What do you think? As for the units, this particular lot will have 5: two on each floor on floors 1 and 2 (the lot is supposed to represent two smaller buildings that the developer connected), and another one on the 3rd floor + the roof. I think they will be decorated with modern furniture, at least the top apartment, but, if you were decorating these units, what would you do? I'm still deciding.
Finally, even though I haven't included pictures of the back (sorry, I forgot to take them), I am looking for advice on what to do there. Should I have pavement, grass...? I really don't know.

Included in the pics is one from neighbourhood view, so you can see how they look together.

Note: I'm building this CC-free (it's killing me, but I'm trying )

Anyway, thanks for your time!

PS - Once I change the zoning to apartment, will the apartment mailbox be functional where it is now?
Screenshots
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 4th Feb 2018 at 1:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Yvelotic2001
PS - Once I change the zoning to apartment, will the apartment mailbox be functional where it is now?

You need a space on each side so that looks ok.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Feb 2018 at 7:44 PM
Bumping
Mad Poster
#4 Old 6th Feb 2018 at 7:58 PM
Not much to say without complete floorplans.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 6th Feb 2018 at 9:21 PM
I don't see how they are eating? Otherwise, it looks very nice.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th Feb 2018 at 9:37 PM
Jo, that was one of the things I was looking for advice. I really don't know how the kitchen would be furnished, so I'm leaving it empty for now. The podium will be added when I temporarily rezone it as commercial.
I'm booting up the game right now and I'll try to decorate some more and add pictures here.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th Feb 2018 at 11:45 PM
I'm not yet decided on the interior. I finished the first apartment, but I'm not sure this is the style I'll choose, it was my sister's idea. What do you guys think? Also, I caved and added some CC, which I might remove later on if I feel like it.
Screenshots
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#8 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 12:07 AM
I like it! As the apartment is quite small I would make it open plan. Also you have a counter occluding a window in the kitchen

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 1:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Yvelotic2001
Jo, that was one of the things I was looking for advice. I really don't know how the kitchen would be furnished, so I'm leaving it empty for now. The podium will be added when I temporarily rezone it as commercial.
I'm booting up the game right now and I'll try to decorate some more and add pictures here.

You can't have a restaurant with a podium in an apartment. Not one that anyone would want anyway. I did once get one working on a res lot, it was unpleasant, the npc's stayed 24/7 and quickly drove me nuts.

A kitchen in each apartment and a grill someplace should do. I added that plus a couple of food vending machines to mine. Or if you want a cafeteria you can make one like the one at uni with a stovetop and the counter benches. With the Simlogical patch it will spawn a cafeteria worker. Not glamourous though just bowls of chilli, mac'n'cheese and burnt spaghetti.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 15th Feb 2018 at 6:08 AM
Okay, I will revise and say a restaurant on a residential or an apartment lot is not a good idea IMO. Everyone can play as they want of course, but I hated it.

~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 15th Feb 2018 at 11:01 PM
Ok, thanks for your replies. I do have MogHughson's mod and in the description says the podiums can be used. But I will test it after I finish the apartments (which, at the current rate, will take a long time) and see if everything works fine as well as check for lag.

I am still looking for clarification regarding the architectural style of the building, if you have any ideas.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#12 Old 16th Feb 2018 at 12:16 PM
Architecturally, I think they're fine in many ways. You went for apartment-type buildings as we see them on the continent and I love it when people try to capture a particular style or sense of place and I think you're getting there. What I would say - as an entirely personal opinion (not a mod opinion) - is that if I were to download that lot, I'd find it, as is, a little plain on the outside. I'd want to add some interest and character to the building to make it look lived in - maybe plants on the balconies, or ivy up some of the wall, washing hanging up to dry somewhere, exterior fans or random bits of pipe, bins and other street furniture and so on. Make it look like it's been around for a while and people live there. Of course, if you're going for no-CC, some of that isn't possible. The trees along the road are exactly right as is the awning - street level works. It's the upper parts of the building that look a little plain to me. But, as I said, personal opinion.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc