Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Mar 2024 at 8:42 PM
Default Pink flashing in one neighbourhood
So I have several neighbourhoods, and several Downloads folders. Lately I have been having trouble in my medieval neighbourhood, with a Downloads folder of 6,87 GB. I've not played the game in a few months - last I remember, I would play for an hour or two in one household, get pink flashing, quit the game and delete cache and rinse and repeat. Now I went into the game and the family thumbnails were all messed up and pink for the majority of the families - I go to test a family, it's all pink and the game crashes. I updated my drivers, updated Graphics Rules Maker, checked that it's all up to speed (that there is a raised texture limit & it's been applied with administrator rights), I delete my cache files and thumbnails and give the game another go. Family thumbnails are fine but once I load into the lot it's just all pink soup, as the screenshot shows. No crashing though.

For a bit of background, I've been playing this same neighbourhood since 2020. I use the batbox, use Mootilda's Hood Checker and rarely download anything these days.

I have other neighbourhoods with their separate Downloads folders, which are 3,80 to 7,86 GB in size. No problems. No pink flashing, no crashing, nothing. Which is what throws me off about this greatly.

I have the 4 GB patch, I use Sims 2 RPC, I've edited the file you're supposed to edit for more texture or however it is on Notepad several years ago... I'm not sure what my next step should be. I've looked at several different guides and Reddit threads, updated the GRM but somehow my medieval hood just isn't budging. I'm not all that tech savvy but I would assume the problem is something specific since my other neighbourhoods/their Downloads folder combos are working alright.

I'm open to any and all questions, apologies if my explanation is unclear, I'll try my best to explain better or profile photos/logs if needed.

Thanks in advance for any help, I would really love to keep this neighbourhood going
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 30th Mar 2024 at 10:13 PM
Do you use much neighbourhood deco? Remove some and see if it helps. I had the same issue.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#3 Old 30th Mar 2024 at 11:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by littlejestersims
...last I remember, I would play for an hour or two in one household, get pink flashing, quit the game and delete cache and rinse and repeat. Now I went into the game and the family thumbnails were all messed up and pink for the majority of the families - I go to test a family, it's all pink and the game crashes. I updated my drivers, updated Graphics Rules Maker, checked that it's all up to speed (that there is a raised texture limit & it's been applied with administrator rights), I delete my cache files and thumbnails and give the game another go. Family thumbnails are fine but once I load into the lot it's just all pink soup, as the screenshot shows. No crashing though.

1: Deleting thumbnails is more likely to cause pink-flashing, because the game spends a lot of resources/memory on rebuilding them. You're better off keeping the Thumbnail files as long as they're not causing any issues, and if necessary, regenerate them manually (Ctrl+right clicking, at least for buy/build). Pink thumbnails should correct themselves after the pink goes away and then have been saved.

2: If you've got a Nvidia card, did you make sure to tick the "Disable texture memory estimate adjustment" and "Enable driver's memory manager" in the GRM? (When you use the GRM, they should both show up in the log file after running the game).

3: have you checked the settings in the RPC? Some could potentially be too high.

4: If all else fails - turn off neighbors + neighborhood deco, and lower the NH view distance. Also make sure you're not using CC with textures larger than 1024x1024. Textures at 2048++ can cause pink-flashing all on their own. Potentially also items using RAW textures (if the filesize of a CC piece is unusually large, you may want to check the files).
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Apr 2024 at 10:49 AM Last edited by littlejestersims : 1st Apr 2024 at 11:00 AM.
I'll try both of your tips combined today, thanks a lot for making the time to reply to me One thing I'd like to ask - what should the ''force texture memory'' box be set to on GRM? On the official website it's 16339, so I put that in, originally it was maybe 3500 or something like that by default.

Edit: Everything works after ticking "Disable texture memory estimate adjustment" I might still lessen the neighbourhood deco amount just to be safe but wow, this feels like an Easter miracle to me, I was so afraid of losing all my progress with this hood! Thank you again so much for the help and advice you provided