Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Apr 2024 at 3:12 AM Last edited by Smefanye : 6th Apr 2024 at 6:46 PM. Reason: Fixed

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default SimPE says character file is missing, and game acts like sim is deleted, but character file is intact?
I know the title might be a bit confusing, but anyways... I was checking SimPE when I noticed it said two of my toddlers had no character files. I loaded up their families, and they were both invisible, didn't show up in the pie menu, couldn't interact with anything, and would constantly spit out "Hit break point primitive" errors if boolprop was on. It sure looked like their character files were deleted, but when I checked their character files in SimPE (since I know I would have to restore a bunch of stuff in there to fix them) it didn't look like a stub file at all- everything in the character file seemed to be there and in working order. Now I'm confused- obviously SOMETHING'S going wrong- but I can't tell what. Like I said earlier, I know there's a way to fix missing character files, so instead of simply adding new files to the stub file, do I just replace stuff, or what? I am... so confused and stressed right now.

Edit- To clarify, out of the files that the sims wiki article for restoring a sim without a character file says need to be replaced, the broken toddlers still have catalog description, directory of compressed files, jpgtgapng image, object data, object functions, and version information. The only one they're missing is package, and I can't find that for sims who DO actually function properly.

Justice for Viola Monty!
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 6th Apr 2024 at 3:37 AM
Do you have an anti virus set to look at Sims 2 files or some syncing program like OneDrive? Both have been known to mess with sims character files, in particular after growing up to toddlers or kids, saving the game and going back into game and finding them messed up.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Apr 2024 at 3:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Do you have an anti virus set to look at Sims 2 files or some syncing program like OneDrive? Both have been known to mess with sims character files, in particular after growing up to toddlers or kids, saving the game and going back into game and finding them messed up.

I disabled OneDrive, and I don't think I have an anti-virus messing with the files, especially since this happened real time weeks after they were born, and several babies born after them are completely intact. And anyways, I have to admit, I care less about what caused this, and more about fixing the damage.

Justice for Viola Monty!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 6th Apr 2024 at 4:09 AM
Only that if something is causing it, it can happen again.

How to fix I really don't know. I would be more inclined to kill them off if they can be.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#5 Old 6th Apr 2024 at 6:21 AM
Do they have Age Data? That's what SimPE looks for, and what it uses to decide if the sim has character data.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th Apr 2024 at 12:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
Do they have Age Data? That's what SimPE looks for, and what it uses to decide if the sim has character data.

Bingo! Yeah, both of them have their age data missing- so just copy their age data from a backup, give it back to them, and they should be all set?

Justice for Viola Monty!
Mad Poster
#7 Old 6th Apr 2024 at 1:05 PM
You could try that. There might be other things missing if the Age Data was missing, though.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 6th Apr 2024 at 5:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
You could try that. There might be other things missing if the Age Data was missing, though.

I seem to have been (relatively) lucky- both broken toddlers had 95 sub-files in their character files in the backup I have... and 94 sub-files right now. So it appears to be just the age data that went missing in both cases. And with the age data restored, SimPE lists them as being okay- now all I have to do is go in-game and test!

Justice for Viola Monty!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 6th Apr 2024 at 5:34 PM
Tested it out in game- they've been fixed! Thanks kestrellyn for pointing me to the right problem!

Justice for Viola Monty!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 6th Apr 2024 at 10:35 PM
Wow good call and find! I would have thought more would have been missing than just age data. Make sure to make a back up.

~Call me Jo~