Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Aug 2014 at 7:04 PM
Default Angela or Lilith?
At the start of the Pleasantview game, you've got the Pleasant twins, Angela and Lilith.

They gave the impression that Lilith is the underdog, and wears goth clothes to impersonate the "bad twin", whilst they've given Angela the impression she's the "better twin", with summery dresses.

Although I love them both, I show empathy to Lilith a bit more, as she is literally losing all her fights (in my game anyway) whenever I turn on the free will

EDIT> Sorry if there's a thread on this. I haven't seen one for a while.

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 25th Aug 2014 at 7:16 PM
Oh, I love them both. I always give Lilith a makeover, so she's not as goth-gothy.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 25th Aug 2014 at 7:29 PM
I have more empathy for Lilith. Angela is always pushing and hitting at her and Daniel and Mary-Sue seemingly don't care about Lilith at all.
She tends to leave her teenage angst phase behind when she reaches university. She still wears a black item of clothing, but she doesn't go over-the-top goth mode. I usually give her the house after Daniel dies (Mary-Sue usually divorces him and moves in with her parents) though I don't have any actual "Daniel felt bad for ignoring his daughter" storyline behind this, it's just convenience because Angela always moves in with Dustin after uni, usually in the house across the street from Brandi.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Field Researcher
#4 Old 25th Aug 2014 at 7:32 PM
On Angela - there's an advice column I read from time-to-time which has featured letters from real life 'favored children'. They tend to express how they feel guilty now that they're older and how they felt powerless or afraid to take a stand against their parents when they were younger. So while it may not be as difficult as being the 'un-favorite', being the 'favorite' must have its unique challenges. Angela's probably under a lot of pressure from one or both of her parents to succeed in life. Likely she's envious of Lilith's relative freedom - hence her dating 'bad boy' Dustin Broke and sneaking out with him at night.

On Lilith - I think the cliche of acting out to get attention from your parents is at work here. It may be negative attention, but at least she's not outright being ignored and outshone. If she's going to be the bad twin, she's going to embrace it, but deep down she wants what Angela has.

I always hope they'd make amends when they're older. Sadly, I think mine never did and ended up getting in a fistfight at one of their cousin's weddings as elders. C'est la vie (dans les Sims!)
Instructor
#5 Old 25th Aug 2014 at 7:35 PM
Lilith by far - I've always liked the goth black sheep, having been one myself. Funny enough, my golden girl sister is now living with a dirt-broke, trailer trash piece of low-life named Dustin.
Scholar
#6 Old 25th Aug 2014 at 7:41 PM
I like them both, but it seems like Angela is the instigator in my games; Lilith never starts fights with her but Angela is trying to beat her every other minute. I usually have them make up
Forum Resident
#7 Old 25th Aug 2014 at 7:52 PM
I like both of them. (Trying not to give aways too many spoilers.) The plan is to have Lilith go into the politics career path like her mother, and have Angela marry into a military family and join the Navy; she wanted to be a fishing boat captain, well Navy ships aren't exactly fishing boats, but that's as close as it gets for her. As you can imagine, Dustin goes a separate way. In kind of a forced way though.

In re: to Vladora, I don't think their parents, who always favored Angela, are too happy that she went out and earned herself some national attention as the football star's daughter who stole (a few thousand dollars worth of stuff) from Nookington's while hanging out with Dustin (who was completely ignored by the media because he was a nobody compared to Angela). But they still love her.

In re: to Bigsimsfan12, Angela gets to reap all that she sowed on Lilith; as you can see in a particular YouTube video I made a little over a year ago, Angela gets beat up regularly by a mean and violent cellmate while the employees of the highly corrupt Simnation Department of Juvenile Justice not only ignore the fighting, but actually cheer on the other girl. I'll bet a lot of people thought I was an Angela hater.
Test Subject
#8 Old 25th Aug 2014 at 8:03 PM
I'm always terrible to Angela. I have no time for goody-goody Sims although I rarely have any Sims who are inherently good or bad without at least a tiny hint of the other. I like to think Angela is the apple of her parents' eyes and, boy, does she know it! She also loves how Lilith gets into trouble for things she hasn't done just because it befits her reputation. Realistically, in my game, Angela is the wicked one! (Serves her right for sending everyone in the Broke household into motive failure by taking Beau out of his crib for no other reason than to put him on the floor, blocking Dustin's path and forcing a heavily pregnant Brandi to wake up and pee herself.)

Lilith, she's no angel either and steals Dustin from Angela. She's acting out because she was the one responsible for uncovering her father's sordid love affair with the maid and is acting out to spite him. She does genuinely like Dustin. I thought they'd be well-matched: him, in the Criminal career, and her, self-proclaimed anarchist. Alas, he breaks her heart when he dumps her unknowingly for the head of a sting operation who have been tracking him. Poor Lilith, she's so misunderstood.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 25th Aug 2014 at 8:15 PM Last edited by bnefriends : 25th Aug 2014 at 8:30 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Elóu
and her, self-proclaimed anarchist.

That's kind of how I see a grown up Lilith too, like the TEA Party meets Occupy Wall Street. Or a less goodie-goodie/doesn't love rich people version of Ann Coulter.

I see her as much more conservative than liberal though. For example, I can see her adamantly opposing abortion because she can relate too much with the unwanted fetuses.
Scholar
#10 Old 25th Aug 2014 at 10:19 PM
To me it boils down to a simple formula: Angela is the shallow one, who wants to do the right thing, but relys on others to tell her what exactly the elusive right thing might be. She moves and excels within the boundaries of society. Lilith tends to think for herself and too deep for her own good. If she doesn´t understand something in school or cannot agree with it, she doesn´t bother studying that subject. Angela on the other hand studies hard, but isn´t really interested in academics, only in the apprecciation it will yield her.
I do not know if their personality points suport this, it´s just the way I play them from looking at their backtories. None of them means ill, none is "bad" or to blame. They just need a little more life experience and a loong time apart from each other to actually become friends again. Sometimes I move Lilith out to live with her grandparents, but I never played them long enough to see the twins through college.

A while ago I tried to explore their past a little bit, but it didn´t turn out so good: 10 years ago
Inventor
#11 Old 25th Aug 2014 at 10:25 PM
Lilith. Probably because she is a goth and so was I, (still am if you only take into account music taste and general personality and world view :P).
Other than that I don't really relate to her struggle as the "bad" child. I was actually considered the good child in my home, even in all my gothy glory. I wasn't even that good, I just wasn't as bad as my younger sister.

I dislike Angela because, like others have pointed out, she's always the one that starts on Lilith.

Edit: Also, I never have them "make up" because I think years of abuse and torment shouldn't just be forgiven because the person who did it just happened to come from the same vagina as you.
Lilith doesn't need that in her life and if Angela feels guilty then good but it doesn't mean she deserves closure.
Scholar
#12 Old 25th Aug 2014 at 10:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by supersimoholic
Edit: Also, I never have them "make up" because I think years of abuse and torment shouldn't just be forgiven because the person who did it just happened to come from the same vagina as you.
Lilith doesn't need that in her life and if Angela feels guilty then good but it doesn't mean she deserves closure.

I play without free will, so I never actually saw these attacks and torments. Just the pretty normal sibling rivalry and the parents´ favouring one twin. That´s why I´m not so hard on Angela as many of you.
I agree that one is not under any obligation to befriend another just because they happen to be blood-related. On the other hand forgiveness and reconciliation are why we are in this world (according to my spiritual beliefs). It should always be worked towards by both parties
Theorist
#13 Old 25th Aug 2014 at 11:20 PM
Forever, Lilith.

Angela, is evil.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Mad Poster
#14 Old 25th Aug 2014 at 11:32 PM
I like Lilith. I have a soft spot for her. I never could resist a screw up. I find "perfect" characters boring.

I haven't done much yet with Angela so we'll see how that goes in the future!

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Forum Resident
#15 Old 25th Aug 2014 at 11:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Enki
I play without free will, so I never actually saw these attacks and torments. Just the pretty normal sibling rivalry and the parents´ favouring one twin. That´s why I´m not so hard on Angela as many of you.
I agree that one is not under any obligation to befriend another just because they happen to be blood-related. On the other hand forgiveness and reconciliation are why we are in this world (according to my spiritual beliefs). It should always be worked towards by both parties

I used to hold grudges against people. Nasty ones even. Grudges just get me into trouble. Someone I know who is a psychotherapist told me I should be forgiving, because I have to forgive those who have wronged me to move on with my life.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 26th Aug 2014 at 12:01 AM
I really like both twins, though I have a small preference for Lilith, since I have a soft spot for characters who go though hard times. With Angela, I have to kind of apply my own headcanons, but I do see her as going through difficulties as well: Being "the good one" might mean she's held to higher standards, and while small transgressions might be forgiven, a major issue might ruin that reputation she has. She might want little more than to get out to sea and go fishing, but people assume that what she really wants is to enter marine science and constantly try pushing her down that path ("you need to apply to this thing or you won't become a scientist!")

With Lilith... Well, it's pretty clear that if any of the things that happen to her were put in a real life context, she went through severe neglect as a toddler and, depending on what happens after the player picks up, suffers physical abuse as a teen (more on that in a bit). The one thing I have to add to this is that sometimes I depict her as being the one who started the fights with Angela, marking her as the enemy just because she's Ms. Popular Prep. Not that it excuses it when Angela decides to insult and attack her, but it does leave another obstacle in their attempts to make up.

The fighting is manageable if it's just the twins, but when you have all the Pleasants in the same room, doing nothing -- like, say, when you first load the house with free will on -- that's when it becomes a complete disaster: Lilith has very little chance of doing anything to defend herself, even just leaving the room, because her queue just gets so flooded that she doesn't have any time to initiate her own actions. Almost every time I've loaded the house and given them free reign to do what they wanted, it ends with everyone assaulting Lilith until the school bus shows up; I've only seen her initiate fights twice, once against Angela and once against Daniel, and even that eventually became them vs. Lilith because someone would queue up a slap for her.

Unsurprisingly, my usual solution to handling the Pleasants involves splitting the whole family apart so that they can't hurt each other anymore.

I had one case where the twins struck out to college together and, over the course of their four years, kept swinging back and forth between reconciliation and setbacks; sometimes there would be an awkward, rejected hug that left behind some sour feelings, and sometimes I'd find them in a full-out brawl, erasing days of progress. If I remember right, however, they were almost friends by the time they graduated.

Usually I just send Lilith to her grandparents and get her away from her immediate family, though. Depending on how I feel, sometimes I'll send Angela to the Broke house, although I've also considered sending her to the Burbs (Daniel going with her is optional). I haven't tried splitting them up into different subhoods, though -- I'm not sure who would go where in this case.
#17 Old 26th Aug 2014 at 12:04 AM
I think Vladora's post explains really well how my Pleasant twins acted towards another. Their rivalry was formed from their parents picking favorites and simply wanting what the other one had. Because Angela was the favorite she felt more powerful which is why she was the one to pick the fights; she had the confidence over her sister needed to win. Once mine left for college and left their parents behind they became really close with each other. Lilith still hated her mom (she couldn't hate Daniel because he died) but she was no longer there to put the barrier between her and Angela to keep them against one another.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 26th Aug 2014 at 12:38 AM
I've seen a lot of people talk about the "favorite child" theory, but if you go back further, it might be that Daniel and Mary Sue were (obviously) planning for one kid, not two, which is why they couldn't bother themselves with Lilith, though, it would funny and ridiculous if they thought "Hmmm... Maybe if we just ignore the second one, it will disappear", which is kinda stupid, but the social worker could have payed them visit...
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 26th Aug 2014 at 2:19 AM
I like them both, but Lilith is the one who starts the fights in my game- which I find hilarious.
#20 Old 26th Aug 2014 at 2:28 AM
Angela... *backs away in a corner*
Mad Poster
#21 Old 26th Aug 2014 at 2:40 AM
Angela (who shares my name!) is really misunderstood by a lot of players as some super popular bitchy girl, when really you can tell she has few friends, enjoys the sea and wants to just be alone on a boat. It says so right in her bio. She honestly strikes me as a loner.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Test Subject
#22 Old 26th Aug 2014 at 2:58 AM
Whenever I restart Pleasantview, I always do whatever it takes to "fix" the Pleasant house... I let Daniel have his last fling with Kaylynn, and make sure to keep a close eye on the twins to keep them from fighting. I have a pair of Sims I made specifically to marry Angela and Lilith when they get older, so I do have to break them up with Dustin and Dirk. Dirk, I just let him see her new boyfriend kissing her.

Dustin? He died by flies. This may have been in error, cause now he can't be resurrected somehow (note to self; use the Death Creator next time); and now the Broke household is almost unplayable because Brandi is in total needs and aspiration crash, and I can't bring Dustin back to help out. She also can't seem to give birth.

Right now, Lilith and her fiance are living in a house after University, and Lilith wants to be a Celebrity Chef... but for the past EIGHT DAYS in a row, neither the paper nor PC have offered her a culinary job.

Angela and her custom-crafted husband are living at the Pleasant house, having remodeled Lilith's old room as theirs. Having trouble finding her a Journalism job.

My point is; I make them friends with each other and their families again.
Forum Resident
#23 Old 26th Aug 2014 at 3:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DigitalSympathies
Angela (who shares my name!) is really misunderstood by a lot of players as some super popular bitchy girl, when really you can tell she has few friends, enjoys the sea and wants to just be alone on a boat. It says so right in her bio. She honestly strikes me as a loner.

For some reason, I always saw her as the type of girl that would be a cheerleader (which I don't see as being a bad thing; most of the cheerleaders I've known were nice and very much unlike the snotty and sexually promiscuous bitches they're often depicted as), but you're right, she has a very shy personality and doesn't have many friends other than Dustin. Of course, there's not too many playable teens in Pleasantview in the base game other than townies; I think the Pleasamt twins are the only playable teenaged girls in PV.

I think the stereotype has more to do with the way she dresses and looks, and the fact that she was preferred by her parents over her sister, than Angela's actual personality and actions. In reality, I don't think the twins are much different from each other. In fact, maybe that's partly why they don't get along; they're too much alike.
Scholar
#24 Old 26th Aug 2014 at 3:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bnefriends
I used to hold grudges against people. Nasty ones even. Grudges just get me into trouble. Someone I know who is a psychotherapist told me I should be forgiving, because I have to forgive those who have wronged me to move on with my life.

I heard a quote once: Holding a grudge is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to get sick.

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 26th Aug 2014 at 3:39 AM
I favor Lilith over Angela, since her parents showed favoritism, and we know how favoritism destroys family relationships (if only the whole world learned from the Pleasants!). Anyway, after Mary-Sue kicking Daniel to the curb for cheating on her, and after Mary-Sue retires to her room to shed an ocean of tears onto her pillow for her being fired (after that rigged chance card), and after I lock Angela in her room as punishment for kicking Lilith's ass in the millionth fight they had, I usually have Lilith phone up Dirk, invite him out on a date, and they have a brilliant time together. Well, at least until Angela comes strolling down the street. Then, if I don't get the two out of there or out of sight fast enough, dust clouds go a'flying.
Page 1 of 3