Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Meet Me In My Next Life
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 7:42 PM Last edited by Simonut : 8th Sep 2014 at 8:04 PM.
Default Excuse Me I think Sims 2 Have That Already
Members, maybe I am wrong here, but it seem to me we already have that ability in Sims 2. I was reading some features that the new Sims 4 is said to have, like "Big Personalities and Emotions"

1.Big personalities- My Sims in Sims 2 already have a big personality defined by their Traits, aspirations and skills, So what new about that in Sims 4 ?
2.Emotions- My Sims in Sims 2 have plenty of emotions, they cry, laugh, show saddest, and being angry and if they do not like another Sims, they will at time shove the other Sims hand away from touching them.
And if a Sims really get mad they will slap the living daylight out of a Sims or beat them down with a fight, if they like you or love you the Sims will show it with a hug or kiss or even more.

So what is so "New" about Sims 4 so call Big Personalities and Emotions, because my Sims in Sims 2 seem to already have what EA is claiming Sims 4 is said to have. What the different?

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Advertisement
Link Ninja
#2 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 8:11 PM
I think as for personalities, it means it goes into further layers/detail. When I downloaded the demo sim creator I could pick that the sim was 'creative', or 'dislikes children' among other things. I know in the sims 2 we can interpret all that detail but we don't usually dictate their personalities it to that specific extent at the CAS level.

Like at CAS screen, I can't just outwardly choose my sim to be creative - maybe a bit of outgoing and them buy them a piano or easel and work up their 'creative' skill but for the first few tries their painting is gonna be sloppy and like a child's. Also I'm not sure what having them creative in sims 4 makes them be like in game - it could bring out a whole new set of actions and expressions and nuances we don't see in sims 2.

As for trying to have my sim dislike kids on instinct, make them a romance sim so they could have a fear having babies and that's about all I can think of to simulate that characteristic but it won't guarantee the sim is going to make a gross face every time they walk by a child. They still might get along with children really well.

I could pick three personality traits based on hobby, interest, etc and I think by doing a bunch of mix-matches it individualizes a sim in sims 4 a bit more - unlocking a mix of certain traits. However, I do feel in sims 2 we could get pretty personality-detailed through the expansions. Our sims 2 personality is based of the CAS traits, Freetime Hobbies, and aspirations.

I hope that makes sense. I still love sims 2 but I appreciate them trying to dig deeper and have more of an individualized personality on CAS game after game.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#3 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 9:07 PM
IMO all these sequels are made for more younger players and for more idiots. They will offer you all from start and you don´t need even think , just sit and watch.
In The Sims 2 you can make a sim to hate children,you just need to be creative and have logic, give him basics at CAS and play him that way.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 9:13 PM
What I love about the Sims 2 is that we're not being told "Simmy McSim is very sad", we have to interpret it and everyone interprets it differently. It's not coded into the game that when Mrs.McSim passed away, Simmy McSIm is depressed over it for months. It's just coded that maybe his aspiration will go down, and he might cry a little bit over it. But then when he starts spending more time reading books, I interpret it as him being withdrawn after his wife's death, meaning his character ends up with more character than what the game originally intended. In my game personality points, aspirations and hobbies weren't the only thing that defined a sim, it always felt like there was something deeper.

I know they mean well with adding more emotions into Sims 4, but really I want to interpret their feelings myself. From what I've seen of the game, it just feels like I'm looking after a bunch of hormonal teenagers. As for "bigger personalities" I've never done my research into it, so I can't say much other than that I didn't like the traits on the CAS demo. I found it really hard to fit my personality in to these 'traits', but a lot easier when using the 25-point personality score in Sims 2 (and enhance it with aspirations, hobbies and interests).

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Instructor
#5 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 9:47 PM
I agree, we already had those things to some varying degree, so at least they should say improved instead of new (and your mileage might vary with their improvements). But what else are they gonna do? TS4, unlike its predecessors, has no big new features that revolutionize the game completely and as we all know it takes out a lot of the best features in the franchise. So what else are they gonna do but exaggerate? They can't sell their game on CAS and build mode alone, so lying it is.
Scholar
#6 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 9:50 PM
What´s new about emotions... I´d say the fact that they enable/disable certain interactions. In Sims2 the characters would occasionally complain that they didn´t feel like doing an action if their overall mood was bad. In Sims4 all their motives can be in the green, but if they are saddled with the sad emotion they refuse to do do (some) funny interactions despite this. Sims that are angry can kick the trashcans and so on.

The emotions also act as buffs. In Sims2 a sim that was playful recieved a boost when skilling creativity, an active one for athletics and so on. In Sims4 the sims have to feel playful, inspired, energized and so on to get the boost no matter what their traits are. In my opinion this leads to mechanical hunting for the right emotion for what you want to achieve. I try to wean myself from this behaviour and just play them and see where it leads. But the temptation to add the "correct" buff in the right situation is strong...

The Sims2 sims may not really feel the emotions they pretend to, but their animations make them appear much more alive and real than their Sims3 and Sims4 counterparts.
Scholar
#7 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 11:46 PM
They just mean they're expanding the emotions, like they did in TS3.
Scholar
#8 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 11:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Annaminna
IMO all these sequels are made for more younger players and for more idiots. They will offer you all from start and you don´t need even think , just sit and watch.
In The Sims 2 you can make a sim to hate children,you just need to be creative and have logic, give him basics at CAS and play him that way.

Wow, that's not insulting at all /endsarcasm. What's wrong with having more emotional options? One thing I disliked about TS2 was that we could only give our sims broad emotions; having everything out in the open allows us to make a sim to the ideal we want it
Mad Poster
#9 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 12:45 AM
Quote:
What´s new about emotions... I´d say the fact that they enable/disable certain interactions ... In Sims4 all their motives can be in the green, but if they are saddled with the sad emotion they refuse to do do (some) funny interactions despite this. Sims that are angry can kick the trashcans and so on.

Eugh I'd hate that.
No offense to those that would like that but one of the things I hated about sims 3, was if I had a sim with low motives and I was adding a few things to their cue at first, but couldn't because "Your Sim is too tired/hungry to do this" (goddamnit I've just sent my sim to sleep until morning, by then they wont be too tired!!)
I imagine this would be kinda like that. "Your Sim is too upset to do that" but without the easier option of just raising their motives like in previous Sims games.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Field Researcher
#10 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 1:12 AM
In my opinion, the Sims 2 is and always will be the best Sims game. It's a shame that some don't play it because of loading screens and "liek, the graffics r so bad u guyz lol." While the idea of traits is neat, I prefer the points system over traits. Not everyone is at the same level of being shy, nice, neat, etc. With the points system I can have messy sims on the scale from "Heh, I farted" to "I'm not crazy about dishes." As for emotions-
Scholar
#11 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 2:27 AM
Uhm In my sims 4 game i had the husband cheat in front of the wife and she just continues eating her burrito and talking at the same time. Literally nothing happened in my game. At least in sims 2 my sims actually get furious. what the heck?
Theorist
#12 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 2:29 AM
I like games that don't have pop-ups all over the place, Sims2 has some, but confined to one area. I wouldn't want more emotions simply for the fact that playing, deciding and guiding sims is good for some to stimulate our minds and be more creative. The real world is crazy enough, not everyone wants a bunch of emotionally charged sims, and at times, unbalanced and/or depressed. From the first sims, all the promotional stuff seemed to be geared more towards adults, parties and not as much toward family or other daily type life. The player community has made it more life simulation than the creators. We can decide whether our sims will be dull and boring or fun and daring. This is my opinions but may not be everyone's.

"Life is not a bowl of party chips and you never know what's in the dip". Quoted from Forrest Gumpsim.

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 3:26 AM
It's called marketing. Make even the oldest of features look like they're brand spanking new, and you'll have all the people that have never even heard of The Sims interested. Very disappointing to older players that have been with the series for longer.
Instructor
#14 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 3:27 AM
It's just to try and sell it at a slightly different angle, most people are hating it so we are not the only ones, i think if they insist on a TS5 i demand season passes so people don't waste their money on the entire game just to buy the same thing...
Theorist
#15 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 5:46 AM
EA repackaged old features with different names so that they can hype it as ''NEW." It's just business and chest-puffing. A match.com commercial advertisement claims that going to match.com is like going to a party where "the one" will be waiting for you. Obviously, match.com is a website and not a party.
Instructor
#16 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 6:50 AM
This is where season passes come in, if you want you can just play it for 3 months and because PC parts are advancing at a rate non of us can keep up with any more it's only fair but i don't want it to be like World of Warcraft where you have to pay for the game AND pay monthly... that's for sure taking the biscuit... since they have put it on origin now they should let people download the games for free if they buy say maybe a 6 month pass and then after that 6 months they can't play so if people don't like it they have a choice to opt out instead of having copies of the game unplayable because it was for older PCs.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 7:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Annaminna
Think again. In fact, you might want to rethink how you word it as well as you've just managed to insult a fair number of people.

Quote: Originally posted by Simonut
So what is so "New" about Sims 4 so call Big Personalities and Emotions, because my Sims in Sims 2 seem to already have what EA is claiming Sims 4 is said to have. What the different?
Sims have always had personalities - all of them since Sims 1. There is a difference in the latest game and I struggle with how to describe it. It feels differently, that's about the best I can say.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 8:41 AM
My biggest WTF was during the devs' lets play, when they had their sims have dinner and said: "it's so awesome they can now just talk to each other and eat at the same time". LOL, even in Sims 1 they would talk while eating. In Sims 2 neat sims take forever to finish their meal because they only take modest bites and keep talking to whoever else is sitting at the table. Only addition of Sims 4 is that sims now spontaneously get up and go sit in the chair next to them for no reason while talking and eating. That's not an improvement as far as I'm concerned.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 9:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Soapsim1
My biggest WTF was during the devs' lets play, when they had their sims have dinner and said: "it's so awesome they can now just talk to each other and eat at the same time". LOL, even in Sims 1 they would talk while eating. In Sims 2 neat sims take forever to finish their meal because they only take modest bites and keep talking to whoever else is sitting at the table. Only addition of Sims 4 is that sims now spontaneously get up and go sit in the chair next to them for no reason while talking and eating. That's not an improvement as far as I'm concerned.
I agree, the devs didn't explain it well. The difference is, they can have directed conversations (choosing which type of interaction they have through a talk menu) with the entire group while they eat. They can also drink, eat, and talk. They can join in a group conversation, introduce themselves to individual members while in the conversation, and build relationships with anyone in the group that they've done that with. They can also eat, socialize, and watch tv all at the same time.

I figured out why they kept bouncing up from the table and moving around. Sims will typically pick up their plate and move closer to each other. Perhaps in the situation with a larger number and a big table, they may have been trying to get closer to the people they know better. Normally, the interaction of moving closer to Sims works in a setting with a family or with housemates.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Inventor
#20 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 9:58 AM
My other half is not a big simmer. He preferred Sims 3 over Sims 2 so I thought he might have a fresh perspective as a non-simmer -Now that we have 4 I asked him what he thought after he had a go - He said he liked how they could go for a poo but still read their books. That's it. He hated pretty much everything else about the game. He said it was like the game was still in alpha development. (He'd know, we play a lot of "early access" games). I kind of agree. Sims 2 and even Sims 3 to a lesser extent felt like complete games even just with the base. But Sims 4... It feels like the ONLY way it'll ever be "good" is if it's packed full of EPs and that's just wrong.

The emotions are stupid. How can my trust how my sim is "feeling" if I can just change their emotion at will with a "aura" decoration?? On Sims 2, You had to WORK to fix their mood! Their mood was based on both motives and aspiration score. It was hard to get their aspiration back up sometimes.

Everyone says "Sims 4 feels more like a sequal to Sims 2!" No. Just no. It feels like a sequal to Sims 1. Sims 4 = Sims 1.5! Forget the graphics, look at the content and substance. They have less than base game Sims 1!
Alchemist
#21 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 12:36 PM
I'm installing The Sims 4 right now while listening to a song from The Sims 2 .. now I want to play The Sims 2 instead, best game ever.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 1:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by supersimoholic
Everyone says "Sims 4 feels more like a sequal to Sims 2!" No. Just no. It feels like a sequal to Sims 1. Sims 4 = Sims 1.5! Forget the graphics, look at the content and substance. They have less than base game Sims 1!

I've been calling it the bastard child of Sims 3 and Sims 1.

When i think sequel to Sims 3, Sims 1.5 is not where my brain goes. However I can see the appeal of creating that kind of game if that was the goal. Sims 1 fans who never moved with Sims 2 or 3 or were playing it at the same time will buy it because modern hardware and operating systems are making it increasingly hard to play Sims 1. Also the Sims 1 is old - lots of Sims 2 and Sims 3 players have never played the game so they can rip ideas straight out of Sims 1 and have them feel new and fresh to new players and a significant proportion of existing players.

That said I don't think that was the goal at all. I think the goal was The Sims Second Life now rated U, suitable for all ages, and The Sims 4 is what happens when you rip out the online stuff and release what's left.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#23 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 2:05 PM
Sims 1.5 is a very apt description. Maybe one day when all Ep's are out and if they fix the glaring faults like -no toddlers, maybe then it will be a real sequel. Sims 2 as we know it seems different to me, more like it is it's own little off shoot from sims 1 and I am still waiting for a sequel to be made.
while 3 and 4 are the rather strange cousins you have over but don't want to stay too long. Sims 4 seems to have taken things from 1,2 and 3. To me the buildings look rather sims threeish while the sims seem to be a blend of 2 and 3. The baby turning into a child is right out of sims 1.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#24 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 3:06 PM
The houses are built like the ones on that facebook sims game, forgot the name. I'm very good at forgetting. My memory bits are shredded. lol

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Instructor
#25 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 3:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
I agree, the devs didn't explain it well. The difference is, they can have directed conversations (choosing which type of interaction they have through a talk menu) with the entire group while they eat. They can also drink, eat, and talk. They can join in a group conversation, introduce themselves to individual members while in the conversation, and build relationships with anyone in the group that they've done that with. They can also eat, socialize, and watch tv all at the same time.

I figured out why they kept bouncing up from the table and moving around. Sims will typically pick up their plate and move closer to each other. Perhaps in the situation with a larger number and a big table, they may have been trying to get closer to the people they know better. Normally, the interaction of moving closer to Sims works in a setting with a family or with housemates.

When this feature works, it's really great. Example: Child Sim took a plate and sat at table. Dad Sim couldn't sit there because I didn't realize something was there blocking the action. So he sat down in the living room to eat. The child Sim then grabbed her plate and sat in the living room with daddy. Yay! More meals together!

As VerDeTerre says, the multi-tasking is a bit different. Rather than sitting down for dinner and then choosing the interactions with a chair icon, you can add regular interactions without having the first interaction stop. It's kind of like the 'ask to join' but you can choose multiple Sims and it is for whatever action they happen to be doing at the time. I'm probably explaining this as badly as the Devs.

My play-style with TS4 is different than TS2, so I don't see it as a replacement for TS2 at all. (Play-style for TS3 was pretty much: exit the game and boot up TS2.)

Big Personalities: Agree. And I am very happy that big personalities has made it back to the game.

Emotions: Again, agree. I loved how in TS2 the attraction system made it matter who your Sim married. High attraction had all sorts of cute and sweet and tender animations. Low attraction gave you 'well, the honeymoon's definitely over' marriages. And I think TS3 was also lacking this. The difference is how it's implemented and how it's used within the game.
Page 1 of 3