Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Feb 2015 at 11:21 AM Last edited by Arsil : 19th Feb 2015 at 10:13 PM. Reason: renaming title for better indexing
Default FadeType (objects fading when zooming/approaching with camera)
Hello ^^

This is not really a question, I just wanted to share my experience with others who may have
tried something like this. I've always wanted to make an "open" tent in order to be able to see
sims inside it (no rabbit hole), I was never satisfied with the results (and I'm not even now).
But I'm not here to talk specifically about my annoyingly huge tents (sims must fit inside it
without bending like in the animations used with WA tents) but about another thing: one of the
features I'm wondering about is to make the object fade away as you zoom or get close with
the camera so you can see who is in the tent and what they are doing.

To do that you can specify a FadeType and a CustomFadeDistance in the MODL
resource (they should always be in the chunkentry 0, under RCOLBlock). Except for a post by
cmomoney, I found no documentation/examples about it so I decided to experiment myself.
CustomFadeDistance is self explanatory. FadeType = 0 means there's no fading whatsoever.
I'm currently experimenting with other values for FadeType and also trying to understand if it
works as a bitmask or can only assume a specific value.

Here's an example showing 2 tents, both have CustomFadeDistance set to 5, the one on the
left has FadeType = 1 and the one on the right FadeType = 3 (FadeType = 2 seems very similar
to FadeType = 1 or at least I wasn't able to spot any major differences between them).

Please don't mind the mesh or the textures, they are just placeholders. The routing too is temporary,
I still have to update the footprints after scaling the tent so sims' head don't come out of it.

The difference between the two settings is clear. FadeType = 3 starts the fading way earlier and makes
the object completely disappear at some point, while FadeType = 1 doesn't do that even getting closer
or with max zooming (EDIT: actually it does, but you have to enter inside the tent. I can also see the
differences between FadeType 1 and 2, they are more subtle but they are there).

EDIT: Sorry for the dark images, I didn't care about the time of day when I was testing.

EDIT: Using 4 or 5 as FadeType is like using 0, same for 8 and 0xFFFFFFFF.
Maybe the valid values are from 0 to 3.
Screenshots