Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
is going to be a cat when she grows up.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Feb 2015 at 12:44 PM
Default Modifying part-time careers
Hi all,
I am attempting to change the start times / work hours on some of the part-time base game careers, but so far it hasn't gone well. Modifying the game's "Careers" package prevents any career at any rabbithole from displaying. Should I be working with the custom full-time career template instead? I've read over the tutorial for it more than once and I think I could follow it, but I didn't know if perhaps something completely different was needed for a part-time career.

Strangers in a Strange Land--The Shin Yi Legacy | last updated 3.7.2014
My Simblr | Is probably NSFW
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 15th Feb 2015 at 9:28 PM Last edited by Cinderellimouse : 15th Feb 2015 at 10:03 PM.
Hello! I have a bit of experience with modding custom careers so maybe I'll be able to help. (I see you are a moderator so I guess you know the basics but I'll explain the whole thing as best as I can and then other people will be able to follow it if they want to try it too).

If I were to attempt to do this, here is what I'd do:

* copy the 'GameplayData' package from the game files (TheSims3/Game/Bin/Gameplay) and paste a copy to your modding folder. (You should not edit the game files directly in case you make a mistake, more info on this here: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title..._Tuning_Modding)
* Using S3PE open the 'GameplayData' folder and click the 'Tag' and then the 'Name' headings at the top of the list of resources.
* Find the 'Careers' XML, highlight it and then choose 'resource', then 'export', then 'to file...' and save it to your modding project folder.
* Close the 'GameplayData' package in S3pe, and then open a new package ('file' and 'new').
* Choose 'resource', and 'import', and 'from file...' and import the careers file you just previously exported.
* The careers file will import into your new package. YOU MUST keep the name and instance number the same!!! Do not rename it or the game will not override the file properly. In the box that pops up make sure 'replace duplicates', 'compress' and 'use resource name' are checked and click 'ok'. You can ignore the 'key' file.
* Now highlight the careers file and right click on it, a menu should pop up and hopefully there should be an option for 'notepad', which you should choose.
* You can now edit any entry you want! Just be careful while editing, because a minor mistake can make a big mess in-game and a nightmare to find and fix!
* Once you have finished making the changes you require, close notepad and choose to save when prompted. In S3PE you will see the old version is crossed out and replaced with your edited version.
* Now choose 'file', 'save as...' and save your file to your mods/packages folder. Give it a unique name like 'spladoum_parttimecareersmodifications'.
* The changes should hopefully now show in game.

I'm just going to test this to see if it works for me. I will try editing the part-time Day Spa Receptionist entry:

<PTDaySpaReceptionist>
<Title>Receptionist1</Title>
<BasePay>33</BasePay>
<PensionPay>30</PensionPay>
<WakeupTime>10</WakeupTime>
<StartTime>15</StartTime>
<DayLength>3</DayLength>
<DowntownWakeupTime>11</DowntownWakeupTime>
<DowntownStartTime>15</DowntownStartTime>
<DowntownDayLength>3</DowntownDayLength>
<DaysToWork>U,M,W,R,S</DaysToWork>
<Level>1</Level>
<Metric1>Sims3.Gameplay.Careers.MetricMood, Sims3GameplaySystems</Metric1>
<Mappings1>-500,0,30</Mappings1>
<Text_Promotion>EntryLevel</Text_Promotion>
<Text_Promotion_Female>EntryLevel_Female</Text_Promotion_Female>
<CarpoolType>CarSedan</CarpoolType>
</PTDaySpaReceptionist>

The parts I will change for testing are:

<WakeupTime>10</WakeupTime>
<StartTime>15</StartTime>
<DayLength>3</DayLength>
<DaysToWork>U,M,W,R,S</DaysToWork>

To

<WakeupTime>7</WakeupTime> (Wake up time should be 2 hours before the start time)
<StartTime>9</StartTime> (Time the shift starts)
<DayLength>10</DayLength> (How long the shift lasts for)
<DaysToWork>U,M,T,W,R,F,S</DaysToWork> (Days to work)

I'll run the game now and see how it goes. :-)

edit: whoops... accidentally edited the wrong bit of text, silly me! I had a long day at work and it made me duh-brained. I changed the text above to correct it and I'm just testing again.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 15th Feb 2015 at 10:50 PM Last edited by Cinderellimouse : 16th Feb 2015 at 10:42 AM.
Yep, that worked for me.

Let me know how you get on and if I can help with anything else.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Feb 2015 at 1:12 AM
Thank you for the clear instructions. Still no luck for me, though--my imported package doesn't work and no jobs are available at the rabbit holes.

As you can see, I changed the wakeup time and start time, nothing else. I believe that I imported and exported it correctly, so I'm at a loss.

Lab Assistant
#5 Old 16th Feb 2015 at 9:43 AM Last edited by Cinderellimouse : 16th Feb 2015 at 10:41 AM.

edit (again):

I noticed there was a bit of code missing from each entry:

<DowntownWakeupTime>9</DowntownWakeupTime>
<DowntownStartTime>13</DowntownStartTime>
<DowntownDayLength>3</DowntownDayLength>

I added it and made the hours match you hours and now it is working! So the text now reads:

retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Feb 2015 at 12:33 PM
I gave it another shot, but still no good:

On the bright side, a friend of mine followed your directions and was able to make a PT career time edit, so at least we know it's not a mod conflict on my side. I still can't quite sort my coding error, though.

Lab Assistant
#7 Old 16th Feb 2015 at 1:01 PM
It can be something tiny that mucks everything up. I can't think what is causing the issue. Maybe scrap it and start again (as frustrating as that is, sometimes it works). I'll attach my file and maybe it'll help. You could try it and see if it works in your game or not.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  TestCareerPackage.zip (44.1 KB, 4 downloads) - View custom content
retired moderator
Original Poster
#8 Old 17th Feb 2015 at 11:40 AM
I think I finally figured out my issue. My shortcut in S3PE was pointing to an outdated copy of GamePlayData that I had saved elsewhere. Once I viewed the GamePlayData package from C: Drive, all of the correct information was in place and I was able to make the modifications with no further issue. Thanks so much for all of your patience!

Lab Assistant
#9 Old 17th Feb 2015 at 4:22 PM
Yay! I'm happy you got it sorted! \o/