Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 3:09 AM
Default Making a non-trait related/age-based buff?
A while ago I was thinking of teen mood swings in sims 3, and I was trying to think of how to add that into sims 4 as a buff teens will sometimes wake up with. It would be an angry moodlet along the lines of "no one understands me!" that would last for 24 hours. An extension of that as well would be a toddler version, just with more tantrums and less teenage grouchiness, because toddlers wake up on the wrong side of the bed too.

How can I do this? Mod Constructor doesn't seem to have anything like this.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 4:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by WaffleFriez57
A while ago I was thinking of teen mood swings in sims 3, and I was trying to think of how to add that into sims 4 as a buff teens will sometimes wake up with. It would be an angry moodlet along the lines of "no one understands me!" that would last for 24 hours. An extension of that as well would be a toddler version, just with more tantrums and less teenage grouchiness, because toddlers wake up on the wrong side of the bed too.

How can I do this? Mod Constructor doesn't seem to have anything like this.

Cool idea!

It definitely seems doable, because the game already has this for--off the top of my head--Self-Assured and Hot-Headed Sims (can wake up confident or angry, respectively). I apologize--I'm not at home and don't have access to any of the game files right now, but I would think you could probably figure something out by looking at one of those buffs and then having a look at the tuning file for something like the sleep in bed interaction, so you can see where it gets applied (as a loot option, under basic extras or something). Then you just create your buff with a test set for teen and retune the relevant interactions to make your buff a possible loot effect.

Could be easier than I'm imagining, though. I kinda want to check into it when I get home, because it sounds like it could be a fun thing to build in my own game. Though I probably wouldn't unless I could do it without having to retune existing game files...
Test Subject
#3 Old 17th Feb 2017 at 2:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by thewatcheruatu
Cool idea!

It definitely seems doable, because the game already has this for--off the top of my head--Self-Assured and Hot-Headed Sims (can wake up confident or angry, respectively). I apologize--I'm not at home and don't have access to any of the game files right now, but I would think you could probably figure something out by looking at one of those buffs and then having a look at the tuning file for something like the sleep in bed interaction, so you can see where it gets applied (as a loot option, under basic extras or something). Then you just create your buff with a test set for teen and retune the relevant interactions to make your buff a possible loot effect.

Could be easier than I'm imagining, though. I kinda want to check into it when I get home, because it sounds like it could be a fun thing to build in my own game. Though I probably wouldn't unless I could do it without having to retune existing game files...

I had some time to look at the files this morning. First of all, before I start, I should mention that being a teen actually is a trait. It's also a buff and a commodity.

Anyway, the tuning files you would want to look at are the loot_Wakeup files (there are a few of them depending upon quality of sleep). You'll find a bunch of buffs that can result from running the sleep interaction on a bed, or whatever.

As it turns out, the loot, itself, gets attached to the bed_sleep affordance by the beds, themselves...I guess because different beds provide different sleep quality. This confused me at first, but it kinda made sense once I looked into it. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter, though, because all you care about are those loot files.

I mean, you'll see this for yourself, but they all have a bunch of chance-based buffs that can result from finishing the sleep interaction. They look like this:

Code:
    <V t="buff">
      <U n="buff">
        <U n="buff">
          <V n="buff_reason" t="enabled">
            <T n="enabled">0xC2AAF3B9<!--String: "(From Creative Trait)"--></T>
          </V>
          <T n="buff_type">9300<!--Buff: Buff_Trait_FeelingInspired--></T>
        </U>
        <U n="chance">
          <T n="base_chance">10</T>
        </U>
        <L n="tests">
          <L>
            <V t="trait">
              <U n="trait">
                <L n="whitelist_traits">
                  <T>16850<!--Trait: trait_Creative--></T>
                </L>
              </U>
            </V>
            <V t="statistic_in_category">
              <U n="statistic_in_category">
                <T n="check_for_existence">False</T>
                <E n="statistic_category">Object_Bed_Buffs</E>
              </U>
            </V>
          </L>
        </L>
      </U>
    </V>

So in other words, it should be a pretty simple thing to create your own buff and whitelist it to trait_teen. Maybe blacklist trait_Cheerful, though!

Does that help?
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th Feb 2017 at 8:46 PM
I found the xml for waking up and it all seems to have clicked for me from there, now all I have to do is test it c: