Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jan 2011 at 3:58 AM
Default CAW Criquette's Ferry from Sims 2 converted to Sims 3 with Cars
Greetings all.

I decided that I needed a ferry in my game and missed the wonderful work by Criquette in Sims2 on Neighbourhood objects.

With permission from Criquette, I converted the items to Sims3.

I converted the empty ferry and the dock. The loaded ferry just didn't look right to me, so also converted 6 of the cars to Deco cars.. not useable as cars but can be used to place on the ferry for interest.

(Note :- if you use Twallan's Overwatch, even though these are not marked as vehicles anymore, they will be deleted by the mod)

All the objects are designed for use in CAW but also appear in Misc Deco at a cost of $0 if you wish to use them inworld.

The dock is actually in three parts and needs to be alligned when placing. The easiest way to do this in CAW is to place Dock1 first, then when placing dock2 and dock3, copy paste the X,Y,Z and the three rotations from Dock1 into the other 2 parts as shown here..

this will guarantee a neat line up of all parts.

(Note, when placing the deco cars on the ferry, you may find that if the bounding boxes of the cars overlap, that the previously placed one will dissapear. Just move the one you are placing till the origional one reappears.)

In order to use these objects in CAW, I use the framework notes here :-

Sims3wiki caw framework

(Read the post VERY carefully, to many people have replaced the .cfg file, not appended to it)

I hope that you enjoy these items and they find a home in your world, and to Criquette, thank you for the permission and the wonderful origionals.

Regards

Moria

Additional Credits:
Criquette for the origional objects and textures and permission to use. S3OC, S3PE, TSRW for sunshadows and all the people in the CAW forum here on MTS for encouragement.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  ferry.rar (5.66 MB, 6741 downloads) - View custom content
Description: criquette's sims2 ferry set converted to sims3 with permission
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 25th Jan 2011 at 10:04 AM
This is brilliant, thanks for the instructions for how to align the dock too.
Scholar
#3 Old 26th Jan 2011 at 12:51 AM
You stated the overwatch deleted the vehicles (even though they are supposedly deco), I imagine you didn't change the OBJK values to mimic a plant (for instance)?

Geat work, btw!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Jan 2011 at 1:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jasumi
You stated the overwatch deleted the vehicles (even though they are supposedly deco), I imagine you didn't change the OBJK values to mimic a plant (for instance)?

Geat work, btw!

Hi Jasumi, yeah I wasn't thinking.. I thought it would take it from the vehicle settings in the bits.. I will probably do an update of the deco cars this weekend and try to get round that

Regards

Moria
Scholar
#5 Old 26th Jan 2011 at 5:24 AM
I made some deco cars a while back, you can use these if you're interested. I converted about six of them, I think all of the cars in your pic (except the sporty Maybach-looking one).
Attached files:
File Type: zip  DecoCars.zip (5.32 MB, 306 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Jan 2011 at 2:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jasumi
I made some deco cars a while back, you can use these if you're interested. I converted about six of them, I think all of the cars in your pic (except the sporty Maybach-looking one).

Thanks so much Jasumi.. I will point people to your download, but will also have a play and update the archive for the main one. I will go into the package this week and amend the cars. I wasn't aware that Overwatch operated from the OBJK settings, but that does make sense now you point it out.

Thanks again for the help, very much appreciated

Regards

Moria
Field Researcher
#7 Old 27th Jan 2011 at 3:52 PM
Thank you for this, I've missed Criquette's objects, I had them on all my TS2 worlds and now they will fill a real need for good decoration in TS3.
Test Subject
#8 Old 1st Feb 2011 at 2:46 PM
Please excuse my ignorance but is this a working ferry where a sim can travel from one island to another or is it strictly decorative?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 1st Feb 2011 at 4:25 PM
69kenny69, it is purely decorative, as was Criquette's TS2 version.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Feb 2011 at 4:44 PM
Having said that, I spent a long time learning all the bits to be able to do the conversion (and finally won through) , and I have to admit, I have never programmed in the Sims, but I have been involved in defining code for games and in business, and also looking for options around the impossible.

I actually have a document I have written, outlining how it "should" be possible to write a script that allows a ferry to be used by foot, and possible even cars within the game and certainly made to move even if sims and cars can't use it. I really think the cars is a bit to much but have written up my ideas incase.

It's big and messy and would need lots of error checking, especially if there was a disconnect whilst on the ferry, and would also need secondary scripts to handle pathing and what the Sim does while on the ferry and would need a whole new class of object to help control it.. only snag is I need to learn how to program scripts for Sims3 first (which I have started doing) but I guess my aim is that even if the ferry can't carry sims or cars, it's not a static model, it does move.

The same system could be applied to the Ocean Liner as well, and any other objects like the planes from the airport or similar.

Let's just say that for now.. they are static.. I don't want them to be forever

Regards

Graham
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 1:16 AM
Default lovely!
Wow this looks great! Thanks for effort for converting this to Sims 3 usage, Moria.

My apologies for a noob a question. If I added this ferry to the world I'm working on. Will people who download the world need to download this file & amend it on their CFG in order to see it?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#12 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 5:19 PM
aurica, yes- people who use a world with these items in will need to install these items to their game, just as with any custom object.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 2nd Apr 2011 at 5:49 PM
Thanks for the answer Simsample!
Test Subject
#14 Old 5th Apr 2011 at 2:23 PM
Nice work !
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 4:19 AM
So beautiful it brings a tear to my eye!

Trolling on the forums comes autonomously I am an evil sim, and I get a positive moodlet from it :D