Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Oct 2017 at 3:04 PM
Additional Cards for MogHughson's Postal System
I couldn't sleep and went on a bit of a downloading spree...and as far as I can tell, I've scoured everything available here on MTS. And most of them are so lovely and amazing! :lovestruc But...that can't possibly be all there is? Are people hiding more in the deep recesses of their simblurs, or...? There seem to be plenty of Valentine's, Christmas, and Birthday, but precious few Easter, Mother's Day, or Retirement...and there aren't any Fanmail or New Home or Happy New Year or Haunukkah or Thanksgiving at all! Clearly I need to figure out how to make some myself, but until then, are there some others hiding in places I haven't thought to look?
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 12th Oct 2017 at 3:50 PM
They're dead easy to make - if you didn't want to do the modding part, you could make the graphics easily enough and get one of us who do make cards to set them up for you (I notice InLoveWithRed is not doing requests at the moment though).

Edit: these are the cards types you can have (picture from Mog's thread). You'd need an aphorism or greeting or whatnot too.

Also, piece of advice - the textures for the cards are very small. Go for images that are relatively simple because detail will be lost big time.
Screenshots

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#3 Old 12th Oct 2017 at 4:50 PM
I hadn't noticed that New Home cards were possible! I will definitely be making some New Home cards at some point; they would be very useful in my game. I will upload them here, but I have no idea when I'll get round to making them.....

The only ones that I recall seeing outside of MTS were on Garden Of Shadows (I think?) and they were historical ones, not modern ones.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th Oct 2017 at 8:42 AM
I was actually trying to make a card tonight (my husband and I working together, actually, because he's more comfortable with SimPE than I am), but we couldn't get past the point where we need to get a GUID, because we've never created an object with its own GUID before, and we aren't able to register with the GUID Database. Apparently it's "moved permanently"?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 14th Oct 2017 at 10:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosawyn
I was actually trying to make a card tonight (my husband and I working together, actually, because he's more comfortable with SimPE than I am), but we couldn't get past the point where we need to get a GUID, because we've never created an object with its own GUID before, and we aren't able to register with the GUID Database. Apparently it's "moved permanently"?

No, it's finally become unavailable due to site link rot or something. What you could do, as I suggested in another thread recently, is download something - an object say - from here that you will NEVER use in your own game. Take the GUID from that.

If you want to share these cards eventually, that's another issue though.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 14th Oct 2017 at 11:32 AM
If you want to share the object, you should generate a random GUID using the hash generator instead.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 8:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lauratje86
The only ones that I recall seeing outside of MTS were on Garden Of Shadows (I think?) and they were historical ones, not modern ones.
Were they the same set as this one here ? I like historical and old-timey stuff; it's always been a sort of dream of mine to set up and play a proper medieval hood, but it turns out those are a lot more work than most hoods.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 9:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
If you want to share the object, you should generate a random GUID using the hash generator instead.

Hash generator? How do you do this? SimPE is refusing me access to my GUID block.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 12:34 PM
Were they the same set as this one here ? I like historical and old-timey stuff; it's always been a sort of dream of mine to set up and play a proper medieval hood, but it turns out those are a lot more work than most hoods.

I don't think so! I think that the ones that I'm thinking about were on either Garden of Shadows or Plumb Bob Keep, and they were possibly made by Cupcakeyy. I think they were Jane Austen themed "letters"? It's really really bugging me that I can't find them!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 12:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Hash generator? How do you do this? SimPE is refusing me access to my GUID block.

Tools>Object Tools>Hash Generator

There's no guarantee the GUID will be unique.

Unfortunately, I can see a future with new CC having to be checked it doesn't clash with anything. Does help if you use a unique string though.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 11:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Does help if you use a unique string though.

Is there a way to help ensure that the string we're using is unique?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#12 Old 16th Oct 2017 at 12:24 AM
Is there a way to help ensure that the string we're using is unique?

Nope - that's why we had the GUID database. By 'unique string', you need to name your object (in the hash generator) something unique and unlikely to be used by anyone else then at least the sum number (or whatever it does) is unlikely to be produced by a different string. If you call your card Christmas Card then it's likely someone else will generate the same number. Try sparklybluemushroomcard or something.

Mad Poster
#13 Old 16th Oct 2017 at 3:12 AM
Damn, I hope we manage to get the GUID database fixed.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 16th Oct 2017 at 5:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Damn, I hope we manage to get the GUID database fixed.

The German version of the site still works. If you can find your guidblock you can find out which is your next Guid.
That's how I do it.

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 16th Oct 2017 at 6:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lientebollemeis
The German version of the site still works. If you can find your guidblock you can find out which is your next Guid.
That's how I do it.

You need to already be registered with the site for that to work? ...or can I just go register at the German version of the site?
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 16th Oct 2017 at 6:50 AM
You need to already be registered with the site for that to work? ...or can I just go register at the German version of the site?

I don't know. I think you can still register. I could still get a new Guidblock some time ago so why wouldnt that work with a new registered user.
1 guidblock contains 256 unique guids.

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 16th Oct 2017 at 7:31 AM
Unfortunately, attempting to register just gives a message about how registering is not allowed/disabled.
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 16th Oct 2017 at 10:12 AM Last edited by lientebollemeis : 16th Oct 2017 at 10:25 AM.
Unfortunately, attempting to register just gives a message about how registering is not allowed/disabled.

You can try to register at WordPress and use that username and password to login on the SimPE website and then add a GUIDblock.
I think this might work because I noticed that WordPress is where you actually login when going to the SimPE website.

I am really not sure if this is going to work, but it's worth a shot.
I don't know what else you can do.

Edit:
On the other hand I don't know if you can just register at wordpress. It looks like it's something to power the website.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#19 Old 16th Oct 2017 at 12:20 PM
That really might be worth a try Lien

Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 17th Oct 2017 at 1:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
That really might be worth a try Lien

I'm glad you think the same as me. But I hope it works out for @Rosawyn

Mad Poster
#21 Old 17th Oct 2017 at 3:02 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 17th Oct 2017 at 7:37 PM.
It's this site you're trying to access, right? https://sims.ambertation.de/de/guiddb/
I don't know if you can still register there, but I was able to log in with my old username/password. If you manage to log in, you can register GUID blocks and GUIDs. It's a little more hassle than doing it via SimPE, but at least you don't risk reusing a GUID.

I think you should be relatively safe using GUIDs over 0x02000000, or maybe well past that - I made a GUID block today to check, and it's somewhere in the 0x00903000 area (and the last ones I had before that were in the 0x008C and 0x008D and 0x008F area). The blocks are counted upward. Several GUIDs before those numbers haven't been used (because people have unused GUIDs or GUID blocks), but better safe than sorry. It's also a good idea to keep track of all the GUIDs you've used, and maybe start on a number and count upward.

Hex uses 16 digits, so between 0x00000000 and 0xFFFFFFFF are 4.294.967.295 different hex values. That's a lot of GUIDs...
Test Subject
#22 Old 17th Oct 2017 at 4:19 PM
I just tried (out of curiosity), I can't register.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#23 Old 17th Oct 2017 at 9:59 PM
Yeah, I haven't been able to register either. :/
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#24 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 12:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
It's this site you're trying to access, right? https://sims.ambertation.de/de/guiddb/
I don't know if you can still register there, but I was able to log in with my old username/password. If you manage to log in, you can register GUID blocks and GUIDs. It's a little more hassle than doing it via SimPE, but at least you don't risk reusing a GUID.

I think you should be relatively safe using GUIDs over 0x02000000, or maybe well past that - I made a GUID block today to check, and it's somewhere in the 0x00903000 area (and the last ones I had before that were in the 0x008C and 0x008D and 0x008F area). The blocks are counted upward. Several GUIDs before those numbers haven't been used (because people have unused GUIDs or GUID blocks), but better safe than sorry. It's also a good idea to keep track of all the GUIDs you've used, and maybe start on a number and count upward.

Hex uses 16 digits, so between 0x00000000 and 0xFFFFFFFF are 4.294.967.295 different hex values. That's a lot of GUIDs...

Trouble is, if everyone does that, we're just back to square one.