Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Dec 2009 at 7:04 AM Last edited by Militiawoman : 4th Dec 2009 at 9:22 AM.
Default Looking for testers: Installed House unrecognized by TS3 w/ download (1.3 -> 1.2.7 backwards compatibility issue?)
Hey everyone! I recently acquired this problem that upon backing up my content and reinstalling my Sims 3 game (base game; no WA) that a few of my self-made houses were confirmed as reinstalled by The Sims 3 Launcher but do not show up in my game!

I am looking for people to download and install this house to see if it works on their computer, since it will not show up on mine! This house was made with patch 1.3 shortly before I reverted to patch 1.2.7.

There is nothing harmful about this file, nor has it made my game crash, they just refuse to show up. I am running Vista x64, so I hope that that should not make a difference as to whether your computer will recognize this file as well as the patch.

Below is the download:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KSXZ511D
The Mahoney Joint 1br 1ba

Thanks so much for your help! =)
Advertisement
In the Arena
retired moderator
#2 Old 4th Dec 2009 at 7:30 AM
Is the original lot still not demolished, if you're loading the same game in 1.2? Or did you start a New game?

If you still have the save file, can you load that game? I don't think patch 1.3/1.4 reads saves done in 1.2 (or vice versa) any differently. Then you can try to re-export?

I never had any problems installing pre-patch houses into post-patch games (knocks wood as I wouldn't know how the last one with tombs and basement would behave in the next patch ). Although, I must say, I've never tried a post-patch house in a pre-patch game.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Dec 2009 at 7:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharm3d
Is the original lot still not demolished, if you're loading the same game in 1.2? Or did you start a New game?

If you still have the save file, can you load that game? I don't think patch 1.3/1.4 reads saves done in 1.2 (or vice versa) any differently. Then you can try to re-export?

I never had any problems installing pre-patch houses into post-patch games (knocks wood as I wouldn't know how the last one with tombs and basement would behave in the next patch ). Although, I must say, I've never tried a post-patch house in a pre-patch game.

Oh no... those saved games are long gone now. I backed the saves up, but decided to do away with them while -attempting- to install awesomemod. (Even though the two aren't related)

But you're right that the patches read them the same; I have about eight houses that I have made, and five of them showed up fine. It's just these three that decided to ka-put. I hope that it wasn't due to a faulty save. Yet, I have never received a save-error message with any patch. Could it also be due to faulty CC within the lot? D;

But the only thing I have left of the house(s) is the .sims3pack. What would be the likeliness that these packs would work on someone else's machine? =)
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#4 Old 4th Dec 2009 at 8:19 AM
This is an interesting probem – I'm not aware that anyone has looked into backwards compatibility of packaged lots yet.

If you want, make a post in the Build mode forum and attach two of your 1.3/1.4 packages there – one that works in 1.2 and one that doesn't. Maybe other builders can help figure out what the difference is.

(Please make it clear in the title that these are potentially broken/nonworking lots, so that people don't just download them randomly and end up with borky files in their games without knowing. Also, include as much info as you can … screenshots if you have some, was there CC involved?, build mode features like pools etc – anything you can think of that might make a difference. Might help if you refer to the changelogs, here and here, to see what those differences could be.)

But just in general, if you want to use mods in your game, are you aware that 1.2.7 won't have much of a future? I've seen very few modders trying to maintain old versions of their stuff .. most of them seem to update to the latest patch and that's it.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Dec 2009 at 8:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
This is an interesting probem – I'm not aware that anyone has looked into backwards compatibility of packaged lots yet.

If you want, make a post in the Build mode forum and attach two of your 1.3/1.4 packages there – one that works in 1.2 and one that doesn't. Maybe other builders can help figure out what the difference is.

(Please make it clear in the title that these are potentially broken/nonworking lots, so that people don't just download them randomly and end up with borky files in their games without knowing. Also, include as much info as you can … screenshots if you have some, was there CC involved?, build mode features like pools etc – anything you can think of that might make a difference. Might help if you refer to the changelogs, here and here, to see what those differences could be.)

But just in general, if you want to use mods in your game, are you aware that 1.2.7 won't have much of a future? I've seen very few modders trying to maintain old versions of their stuff .. most of them seem to update to the latest patch and that's it.

Cool, gotcha! I'll go take this to Build and post them! Unfortunately, I can't do anything to alter the unrecognized sims3pack. files now that I can't export them with any patch, but I'll put what I have, or maybe put some of my working content with patch variations there.

As far as backwards compatibility, I think it's fine for the most part with what I was experiencing; one of the lots I exported in 1.3 works just fine in 1.2.7 and this one DOES have CC. I believe the ones that don't work only have Maxis items in them. But the problem could be so arbitrary, I hurt myself thinking about it.

Oh, if they are updating their mods to the latest content, I am right there with them! Just like Ella said, updating to WA would be silly with just 1.2.7; so many features wouldn't work.
All of the content that I prefer just happens to be only compatible with 1.2.7, but if they have better stuff, my allegiances are always with the new. Maybe I need to keep an eye out for newer, better stuff. =)
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#6 Old 4th Dec 2009 at 8:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Militiawoman
Unfortunately, I can't do anything to alter the unrecognized sims3pack. files now

Well, you shouldn't do anything to alter them – since what we'd try to find out is what the difference is between worky and no worky.

Quote: Originally posted by Militiawoman
Updating to WA would be silly with just 1.2.7

It wouldn't even be possible – if you want to install WA, you have to patch.

ETA: I'll just move this to Build Mode now, since it's mainly of interest to builders. If you want to post some lots, just reply here (then you also don't have to repeat the whole story).

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#7 Old 4th Dec 2009 at 5:59 PM
So, you need someone still on patch 1.2 to test this? And this is the version that do not show up in your Lot bin?

I tested on my WA installation (patch 2.2), and it showed up and able to be plopped into a Lot just fine. Don't know if that'll help you, but there you go...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 4th Dec 2009 at 9:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharm3d
So, you need someone still on patch 1.2 to test this? And this is the version that do not show up in your Lot bin?

I tested on my WA installation (patch 2.2), and it showed up and able to be plopped into a Lot just fine. Don't know if that'll help you, but there you go...

No, not anyone with a certain patch, just anyone in general. It seems to work for you, so thank you for testing it out!

What I was originally looking for was someone to find out if it works at all and then export it back to me, but in this case, just knowing it works is good enough.