Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th May 2016 at 7:00 PM
Default Laptop
spent most of the day searching Online for a laptop that will play the sims 3 and the sims 4 as my dad is getting me one for my birthday next week but I can't seem to find one that I'm happy with. I know desktops are better and my parents already have one but it doesn't run the sims 4 so I'm hoping to get a laptop that will run the game as well as ts3, I'll be using it for other stuff as well.

My dad will be purchasing it from this store

Anyway if anyone could have a look at the laptops on this site and find a decent laptop that will run both games which isn't to expensive then that will be greatly appreciated

Life is like a rollercoaster. It has its ups and downs. But it's your choice to scream or enjoy the ride
Cottage feedback- would be greatly appreciated
Simple Holiday House - great for parties and relaxation
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 15th May 2016 at 7:47 PM Last edited by PapaEmy : 15th May 2016 at 8:07 PM.
if money is not an issue, I'd say Lenovo Yoga 500 series, there are 2 models, both have Nvidia 920M (dual switchable graphic cards), and you might be able to run Power Manager Utilities so your battery can stay up to 7-8 hours standby or 5-6 hours light uses, 2-3 hours gaming (i5) 1-2 hours gaming (i7), you don't have to worry or remove the battery when it always plugged in, the threshold can be customized.. say 68%-98%, it will start charging the battery when its under 68% and it will stop charging when it reached 98%, this setup will make your battery lifespan even more longer. Lenovo Power Manager Utilities program can be run in almost all Lenovo laptops, but you'll need some tweaks before installing to make it run under Windows 10 from build 10586 and newer, but that's not a big problem, I'll tell you how to install it and make it runs under Windows 10

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compu...138730-pdt.html

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compu...137561-pdt.html

Now go on tell your dad you know which one you want.., just don't break it ay.. always run FPS limiter when playing TS3
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th May 2016 at 8:02 PM Last edited by coolsim22 : 15th May 2016 at 8:17 PM.
Thank you
is there any cheaper laptops with a range of £300 - £600 as I don't think my dad will be able to afford that laptop

Edit:
doesn't matter I've spoken to my dad about it and he's getting the suggested laptop

Life is like a rollercoaster. It has its ups and downs. But it's your choice to scream or enjoy the ride
Instructor
#4 Old 15th May 2016 at 8:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by coolsim22
Thank you
is there any cheaper laptops with a range of £300 - £600 as I don't think my dad will be able to afford that laptop

ask if they probably have the Core i3 version for this model http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compu...139239-pdt.html , everything under Core i3 is too weak for gaming and too expensive in that store imo..
Instructor
#6 Old 16th May 2016 at 1:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Hey do you know any programs that will manually calibrate the battery? I did that whole drain the battery and recharge to full manual calibration but it made it worse.

I don't know if there's similar program to manage the battery for other laptops brand, but this is why I stay with Lenovo, because with this software my mobility needs become more efficient as the battery can stay longer when I'm not plugged in to the wall.

The thing I know from Lenovo with this software to make the battery lifespan longer is not by draining and recharging the battery, but by not over charging it and just use it as normal, so never charged the battery up to 100%, the lower threshold can be any from 20%-90%, but just don't reach the 100% charged.

I don't know if Lenovo Power Manager Utility can be run on other brand outside Lenovo, but you can try if you want, the program also can calibrate the battery, but I'm not sure if it will work, because you will need to install its driver before making the Power Manager program works as it's should be, however the problem with Win 10 build 10586 or newer, it will prevent to install this program even for Lenovo laptops, therefore it needs some tweaks when installing to tell Win10 to run it as is in Win7, hope that answered your question.
Instructor
#8 Old 16th May 2016 at 2:45 PM
here is the screenshot of my Power Manager running under Win 10
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 16th May 2016 at 5:19 PM
What about this laptop instead:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compu...137634-pdt.html

would that play both games, I think it has more memory as well

Instructor
#10 Old 16th May 2016 at 5:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by coolsim22
What about this laptop instead:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compu...137634-pdt.html

would that play both games, I think it has more memory as well

that's a good choice also, Asus made great motherboards no doubts about that, I use them in my pc, but for laptops I prefer Lenovo just because it has more flexibility on battery's life with its software as I used my laptop for mobility mostly, when at home, I used my pc.

Anyway if you choose to buy Lenovo instead, ask the technical person if it's possible to run the Power Manager Utility in the newer models, mine is an old 3 years old model ThinkPad Edge E330, that's why it comes with the Power Manager Utility, originally was Core i3 3110M with 4gb RAM Nvidia GT610M dual switchable GPUs, but recently I have upgraded the processor and rams to Core i7 3632QM (35w) with Corsair 16gb DDR3 L Sodimm, now it's pretty cool (small and lightweight) 13 inch Core i7 notebook paired with SSD

The thing is when buying laptop, just take your time and look around, you might find a better choice, better specs and better price, and you might want to consider its mobility performance because that's what laptops or notebooks main advantage compares to PC, but if you prefer for gaming mostly, no laptops or notebooks came close to PC.

Other than that, please notice on the spec into details before deciding to purchase it, for instance if you choose an i5 XXXX U vs i5 XXXX Q processor, the one with the "U" usually means its processor was soldered permanently to the motherboard, it's not upgrade-able, if something went wrong with the motherboard, you will have to replace it including the processor, but the one with the "Q", it's replaceable or upgradeable because you can remove the processor from the motherboard just like PC

Happy shopping with your dad and happy birthday to you
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 16th May 2016 at 6:04 PM
Thank you for the advice, and my birthday isn't until Sunday but thanks anyway.