Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd May 2016 at 2:58 PM
Default Does fulfilling pregnancy food wishes do anything?
I heard somewhere or other that it's one of the variables that could mean you can choose the baby's traits, but I really don't know as 90% of the time my sims' pregnancies go smoothly anyway. Does it sway randomised traits at all?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 22nd May 2016 at 3:10 PM
From what I know, simply fulfilling any wish of the pregnant Sim's helps in making the pregnancy go 'smoother'. The better mood the pregnant Sim is in, the more wishes fulfilled, the more likely the pregnancy is deemed to have gone well and you're allowed to pick the traits yourself. The only time I read that food influences anything about the pregnancy is that eating Apples increases the chance of the baby being a boy and Watermelon for girl.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 22nd May 2016 at 3:35 PM
And the fruit thing only works during the first trimester. Once the Sim knows she's pregnant, the gender is set.

-sbugg
(If you're curious on how to pronounce my screen name, I pronounce it "ess-bug".)
Obsessed with the lives of virtual people who run to scream at fires since 2012.
Alchemist
#4 Old 23rd May 2016 at 2:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sbugg
And the fruit thing only works during the first trimester. Once the Sim knows she's pregnant, the gender is set.

From what I read in the script, the chance continues until the Sim gives birth. It won't work before pregnant.

Just call me Nikel
Scholar
#5 Old 23rd May 2016 at 11:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nikel23
From what I read in the script, the chance continues until the Sim gives birth. It won't work before pregnant.

Actually, it only working prior to the "Pregnant" chime seems right. I had a pregnant sim eat watermelon several times throughout the rest of her pregnancy and still got a boy.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 23rd May 2016 at 11:32 AM
to my knowledge eating apples or watermelon doesn't 100% guarantee one gender or the other, it just increases the chance. also you can only eat up to 3 apples or watermelon and then after that it no longer increases the chance. so yes, your sim can eat watermelon throughout their pregnancy and still end up having a boy.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 23rd May 2016 at 4:45 PM
And the way the Old Wives I know and their friends tell it, up through 5 of either fruit will increase chances. And the range during which it will have an effect is in between conception and the halfway point of the pregnant sim's second trimester (quite a bit after they have started "showing," especially with longer pregnancies in play).

Any mods in play that influence the gender of the unborn, such as NRaas SP being set for anything other than "Random" (like "Balanced" for example) will render the fruit totally ineffective. Also, if the birth is a multiple one as in twins or more, the fruit only affects the gender of the first baby to be born.
Alchemist
#8 Old 23rd May 2016 at 5:05 PM
It really does only count if the Sim is pregnant; which is after the chime and not before. The gender is only determined once, when the Sim gives birth or a doctor determined it (at which point the gender will be set permanently). And honestly, the chance can be 0% up to 100% male. I think it's a common misconception.

I have no idea why the reports are conflicting with my finding. Did you eat raw watermelon from the inventory or food with watermelon as one of its ingredients? The way I see the code, the effect only works if you eat it raw and not use it as an ingredient. That is, unless you use icarus_allsort's mod that changes this behavior.

Just call me Nikel
Scholar
#9 Old 23rd May 2016 at 5:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nikel23
I have no idea why the reports are conflicting with my finding. Did you eat raw watermelon from the inventory or food with watermelon as one of its ingredients? The way I see the code, the effect only works if you eat it raw and not use it as an ingredient. That is, unless you use icarus_allsort's mod that changes this behavior.

For this I always made sure to eat raw watermelon or apple for pregnancy, if I wanted to try to influence the gender. No mod for that.
Alchemist
#10 Old 24th May 2016 at 6:54 AM
Hmm, okay. Maybe I just didn't dig through the code enough. .

Just call me Nikel
Site Helper
#11 Old 25th May 2016 at 1:28 AM
I remember a post somewhere (I think it might have been at Custom Sims 3 before that site closed) where it was discovered that if you are pregnant with twins and have the hospital or another sim determine the gender of your child, eating the opposite fruit will help guarantee that you have one child of each gender.

Again, assuming you don't have a mod affecting it, and bearing in mind that this was a very long time ago so the code may have been changed.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Instructor
#12 Old 25th May 2016 at 8:21 PM
Ghost you're right. I've read a ton of 100 baby challenges where the mother would check in with the doctor and then just constantly eat the fruit of the opposite gender while continually trying to get multiples.
I've seen a very low fail rate of getting twins of the opposite gender from one another.

But continuing the topic, I had no idea the trait choosing was based on wish granting? I thought it was just her general mood and I had no idea why, even when sh was full green, I couldn't pick her traits.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 25th May 2016 at 9:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Luckk
I had no idea the trait choosing was based on wish granting? I thought it was just her general mood and I had no idea why, even when sh was full green, I couldn't pick her traits.

yeah, I mean I guess the wish fulfilment can contribute to positive moodlets but considering massages and pregnancy books tend to make a big difference too, idk?