Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jun 2017 at 12:18 AM Last edited by Hammyx : 24th Jun 2017 at 4:50 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Is my laptop good for recording sims 2 series?
Hello there, I had been practicing making sims 2 machinimas for over a year but never actually came here for tips about my graphics card and stuff.
Sometimes when I record for more than 1 hour my game crashes, and about 4 times in my whole usage it has shut down the laptop. I don't want anything bad to happen to it; i know it's an "object", but my parents paid a lot for it and I really like it, backing up info wouldn't be the problem though.
I have a Dell inspiron 15 5500 series Core i7, with a dedicated graphics card AMD R7 M265. When I had windows 10 I had A LOT of issues with switching those cards, but when I formatted it and installed windows 7 everything went fine. I record with camtasia studio since I don't really like FRAPS and don't know of any other better program. When I record I have only a little of lagg, but I have to admit that when I go to BIG lots it tends to crash. Also when I put in full screen (which I don't like anyway) it has 90% probability of shutting down the laptop. I have 8gb of ram, it runs nice and when I start recording the laptop makes a weird sound (which is most likely due to overheating starting) if someone could recommend me something I'd really appreciate since I really enjoy doing videos and at the same time I enjoy having this laptop a lot ty
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 25th Jun 2017 at 9:11 PM
Honestly, I don't know anything about recording Sims. But I'm gonna reply in hopes that it will bump the question back up where someone else might have an answer to your issue.

As to whether your machine should work to record, I would say yes, provided you have enough memory for the recorder to operate. How much is enough? No clue. I'm a tech-idiot.

The only thing that comes to mind is that you might have too much stuff in your downloads folder while recording. In a previous game, I had 8gb of downloads and my game was VERY S..L..O..W. Started a new game with a light downloads folder and it's FAST! (We'll see how long that lasts. Every day I'm adding something extra to the Downloads folder.)

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 9:09 PM
I ran a quick scan through game debate and it seems that your laptop is able to play the game on high settings:

http://www.game-debate.com/games/in...temRequirements

What I think is causing your game to crash is either these issues here:

- You're using too many mods (too many mods slows the game down)
- You have too many desktop icons (Less icons on the desktop usually stops lag on games)
- You might have applications running in the background (before you launch the sims 2, close firefox and applications like that)
- Your laptop overheating may be the problem since after an hour the game crashes, if so you should consider buying a cooling pad this tends to help a lot

That's all I can think of to be honest. I'd suggest buying a cooling pad for your laptop
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 11:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mousedroidz21
I ran a quick scan through game debate and it seems that your laptop is able to play the game on high settings:

http://www.game-debate.com/games/in...temRequirements

What I think is causing your game to crash is either these issues here:

- You're using too many mods (too many mods slows the game down)
- You have too many desktop icons (Less icons on the desktop usually stops lag on games)
- You might have applications running in the background (before you launch the sims 2, close firefox and applications like that)
- Your laptop overheating may be the problem since after an hour the game crashes, if so you should consider buying a cooling pad this tends to help a lot

That's all I can think of to be honest. I'd suggest buying a cooling pad for your laptop

Oh, I do have a lot of desktop icons and they're big so that may be the problem. I do have a cooling pad, mmm about the mods; it may be that but I need them all so xd I'm glad to hear a "no you can't record because it's a laptop" it laggs a little when recording but not THAAAT LAGG no i guess it's fine! I'm gonna try to not overheat it anyways since I want to take care of it ^^ thanks a lot, maybe someone will come and say I actually can't record or have that much cc tho xD
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 1:32 AM
Organize the desktop icons into folders. For example if you have desktop shortcuts for CS go, TF2, The sims, Half life create a folder called "Games" and put them all in that. If you have shortcuts for Sony vegas, photoshop, Paint.net put that into a folder called "Software" you should get it by now. Also how large is your downloads folder??
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 1:40 AM
Organize the desktop icons into folders. For example if you have desktop shortcuts for CS go, TF2, The sims, Half life create a folder called "Games" and put them all in that. If you have shortcuts for Sony vegas, photoshop, Paint.net put that into a folder called "Software" you should get it by now. Also how large is your downloads folder??

wtf how did you know my games and programs lol xD
I have around 10.5 gb 31k files
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 1:08 PM
Everyone has those games lad XD
and everyone has those programs if they're a video maker like myself :D
well looks like you have loads of mods, my downloads folder is only 1.46 GB. How much disk space is avalabile on your HD? Usually when you have too much on a hard disk and there isn't a lot of spcae left that's when certain things start acting up
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 28th Jun 2017 at 12:52 AM
Everyone has those games lad XD
and everyone has those programs if they're a video maker like myself :D
well looks like you have loads of mods, my downloads folder is only 1.46 GB. How much disk space is avalabile on your HD? Usually when you have too much on a hard disk and there isn't a lot of spcae left that's when certain things start acting up

Heh, well, they are good aren't they xD? Except for the shooting ones; I don't like them really
I have 700 gb left :s
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 28th Jun 2017 at 1:43 PM
Usually by the hard drive it should say "700gb free of xxxGB" what do you see where it says "Free of" and also does it have a red bar instead of a blue bar?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 28th Jun 2017 at 11:15 PM
Usually by the hard drive it should say "700gb free of xxxGB" what do you see where it says "Free of" and also does it have a red bar instead of a blue bar?

Yeah, I have 701 GB free xD it's a blue bar
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 28th Jun 2017 at 11:37 PM
I see, I dunno what else that could cause the problem. Have you tried recording after fixing up your desktop?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 29th Jun 2017 at 12:32 AM
I see, I dunno what else that could cause the problem. Have you tried recording after fixing up your desktop?

No, I haven't; college stuff :/ I'm gonna open the game right now while I finish a project though. Let's see.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 29th Jun 2017 at 1:40 AM

it runs faster wow, but I don't know if it's because of the desktop icons thing, or because I'm recording with OBS now; is it a good program?
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 29th Jun 2017 at 12:38 PM
I use three different recorders, Windows 10 DVR, OBS and Geforce expierence. I get the same FPS when using either of them, I'd say Geforce expirence is probably the best out of all of them since it's very user friendly. I guess either I fixed the problem or OBS is just well optimised I'm not sure. Are you crashing at all?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 29th Jun 2017 at 11:43 PM Last edited by Hammyx : 29th Jun 2017 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Incomplete
I use three different recorders, Windows 10 DVR, OBS and Geforce expierence. I get the same FPS when using either of them, I'd say Geforce expirence is probably the best out of all of them since it's very user friendly. I guess either I fixed the problem or OBS is just well optimised I'm not sure. Are you crashing at all?

maybe it's both: your help about the icons and OBS's great optimisation xD No, I haven't crashed but I didn't record much either so I dunno. My files are a little larger since I set the CBR bit rate in OBS TO 40000. I put it a 3500 at first but movement got pixelated and all blurry. Of course, my file size increased a lot xD sometimes it also laggs in the final record tho, but whereas Camtasia makes it lagg when recording, this one doesn't lagg the game, but it laggs in the final result (if something happened, of course)
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 3:48 PM
I see, just keep me updated on crashes and that sort of stuff. Hope all goes well
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 1st Jul 2017 at 1:02 AM
I see, just keep me updated on crashes and that sort of stuff. Hope all goes well

don't you think 40k bitrate is too much? I commented on a sims video about it and someone said it was too much but I want everything to look great so :/
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 4:56 PM

Well, yesterday I recorded for around 2 hours and it never crashed. I'm impressed. I don't know if it was because of the desktop icons thing, or due to the fact I'm using OBS now. Anyways, it's amazing! It was raining as well and my game didn't lagg, I bet it's thanks to your advice, thanks thanks thanks xP