Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jun 2017 at 1:47 PM Last edited by jezzfrompleasantview : 19th Jan 2018 at 6:18 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default [SOLVED]Game crashes on big lots with many objects
My game was constantly crashing on one lot/in one family so I placed the household somewhere else and the crashing actually stopped.
The new lot was empty so I built a new large house and some time later it crashed again.
Next I removed all of the custom objects and played a while with only maxis stuff and it worked, then started to crash.
I assumed that the family was the problem so I moved them to an empty lot again and played for a very long time and nothing happend. But as soon as I added walls and furniture the game was running slower and crashed again. I tried the same thing with other families but it's the same problem. The more objects the slower/more instable the game.

Is this even possible? And how can I solve this without having to live on an empty lot? I'm overwhelmed by the amount of tutorials on this topic and don't know where to start looking for help.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 29th Jun 2017 at 1:55 PM
1 of 2 things could be happening, 1 your video card/system is over heating and 2 your running out of memory.
How old is this computer and what video card are you using? Your computer specs may help find the problem.

You could try.
Build on smaller lots making smaller houses without CC including Skins, you can still use mods that fix the game but not CC like clothes, skins and the such.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Jul 2017 at 10:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by marka93
1 of 2 things could be happening, 1 your video card/system is over heating and 2 your running out of memory.
How old is this computer and what video card are you using? Your computer specs may help find the problem.

You could try.
Build on smaller lots making smaller houses without CC including Skins, you can still use mods that fix the game but not CC like clothes, skins and the such.

My computer (Hyrican) is very new, I brought it about 3 years ago and it has Windows 10 installed. My video card is Radeon HD 8370D. And I have over 800 GB left in my computer. In case this is somehow important I'm always having problems with my video card in newer games but it seemed to be enough for Sims 2.

Thanks for the response I'm now trying smaller lots and absolutley no cc
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 2nd Jul 2017 at 2:31 PM
It might be the way in which the game itself utilises your computer resources. It's an old game and wasn't designed for newer computers. For one thing, it can't recognise more than one core at a time and, as a consequence, can get confused and have processing issues because of that. Also, it can only address so much RAM though there is a way to increase the amount somewhat. There may also be issues with Securom and Win10. There's lot of information about all this stuff over on Leefish and, in particular, running the game on Win10.

Have a look at this:
http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6569
and this:
http://digitalperversion.net/garden...p?topic=21931.0

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#5 Old 2nd Jul 2017 at 3:01 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 2nd Jul 2017 at 3:12 PM.
The Radeon HD 8370D card doesn't seem to be one that's very gaming-friendly. It's an integrated model, and seems to score low on benchmark tests, roughly on the level with Intel HD graphics, from what I can find.

Also, harddrive space and Windows model doesn't really help in figuring out what's wrong. What are the other computer specs?
How much memory/RAM is there on your computer? How many GhZ is the CPU? Does your computer meet the minimum requirements of TS2?

Microsoft Windows
◾ OS: Windows 98/98 SE/Me/2000/XP/Vista (if patched)
◾ CPU: 1.8 GHz (2.4 GHz for Vista and above)
◾ RAM: 512 MB (1GB for Vista and above.)
◾ Disc Drive: 8x CD-ROM/DVD drive
◾ HDD: 3.5GB free space
◾ Video: 32MB DirectX 9.0 and T&L compatible
◾ Sound: DirectX 9.0 compatible

These are the bare minimum requirements, and I'm not sure the newest EPs are taken into account, because my version of M&G says 64 MB graphics card, not 32.

----------------------

The easy solution is: Play on smaller lots, with less CC and preferably fewer sims. Also, try to use lower poly CC wherever possible. If all your sims have hair with 50.000 polys, and you place CC cars everywhere on the lot, or use lots of CC that have effects like smoke, you're probably starting to border on the maximum capacity for your computer already.

Could of course also be that you've got some problem CC that crashes the game. Does the game crash at specific points? Going through CAS items, buy/build items, When loading in pets/neighbours, or doing other demanding tasks? When it starts snowing or raining? Try noticing at which point the game crashes the next time you play. That can be helpful in figuring out why the game crashes.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 2nd Jul 2017 at 10:22 PM
I would say it's that card https://www.futuremark.com/hardware...9271.1499030428 very poor.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Jul 2017 at 8:11 AM
Well, thanks to everyone who replied. No cc/ low poly cc seems to help already. If it crashes again I will come back and post more details here
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st Jul 2017 at 8:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
The Radeon HD 8370D card doesn't seem to be one that's very gaming-friendly. It's an integrated model, and seems to score low on benchmark tests, roughly on the level with Intel HD graphics, from what I can find.

Also, harddrive space and Windows model doesn't really help in figuring out what's wrong. What are the other computer specs?
How much memory/RAM is there on your computer? How many GhZ is the CPU? Does your computer meet the minimum requirements of TS2?

Microsoft Windows
◾ OS: Windows 98/98 SE/Me/2000/XP/Vista (if patched)
◾ CPU: 1.8 GHz (2.4 GHz for Vista and above)
◾ RAM: 512 MB (1GB for Vista and above.)
◾ Disc Drive: 8x CD-ROM/DVD drive
◾ HDD: 3.5GB free space
◾ Video: 32MB DirectX 9.0 and T&L compatible
◾ Sound: DirectX 9.0 compatible

These are the bare minimum requirements, and I'm not sure the newest EPs are taken into account, because my version of M&G says 64 MB graphics card, not 32.

----------------------

The easy solution is: Play on smaller lots, with less CC and preferably fewer sims. Also, try to use lower poly CC wherever possible. If all your sims have hair with 50.000 polys, and you place CC cars everywhere on the lot, or use lots of CC that have effects like smoke, you're probably starting to border on the maximum capacity for your computer already.

Could of course also be that you've got some problem CC that crashes the game. Does the game crash at specific points? Going through CAS items, buy/build items, When loading in pets/neighbours, or doing other demanding tasks? When it starts snowing or raining? Try noticing at which point the game crashes the next time you play. That can be helpful in figuring out why the game crashes.

Alright, since the game still crashes, here's some more information:

CPU: 3.70 GHz
RAM: 8,00 GB (7,19 GB usable)
Disc Drive: 24x CD Rom/ DVD Drive
HDD: 843 GB free
Video/Sound: DirectX 11 compatible

I have paid attention to when the game runs slower/crashes but didn't really notice anything. It mostly crashes when I'm going on vacation (during the loading screen) and often on community lots (I'm assumming because there are so many other sims?). Sometimes it crashes after changing an outfit (so a few seconds after I close the wardrobe) but not always. Apart from that it seemed to happen randomly so at no specific point. But it also mostly crashes in live mode, rarely in buy/build or neighboorhood.
I have deleted half of my latest cc from my computer but that didn't change anything. I'm still using almost no cc/ low poly in the game. At the moment the problem mainly occurs in one specific family, I have made some experiments and I have a large household with only cc clothing/furniture in an apartment and the game never crashes there...

I hope that's enough information for some advice, thanks so much!
Mad Poster
#9 Old 21st Jul 2017 at 8:41 AM
Since you're on 64-bit, one thing you can try is applying the 4GB Patch.

Older games like TS2 can't properly utilize more than 2GB of memory by default, and it's easy to run out when you have lots going on at once. Can't guarantee it'll help, but it can't hurt either. You'll want to apply it to the latest EP/SP you're using - I couldn't tell you where to find it by default as I use a different installation location than most.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 21st Jul 2017 at 8:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
Since you're on 64-bit, one thing you can try is applying the 4GB Patch.

Older games like TS2 can't properly utilize more than 2GB of memory by default, and it's easy to run out when you have lots going on at once. Can't guarantee it'll help, but it can't hurt either. You'll want to apply it to the latest EP/SP you're using - I couldn't tell you where to find it by default as I use a different installation location than most.

thanks, just a little question: I read something similar can be done with a programm called CFF explorer. Do you know if this does the same thing? Or what's the difference?
Mad Poster
#11 Old 21st Jul 2017 at 8:58 AM
They do the exact same thing - both tools are from the same dev, and this is actually what he said about the patcher:
Quote:
This is, of course, very easy for insiders who do it every day with the CFF Explorer. This tool was written because not everybody is an insider, and most probably a lot of people don't even know that this can be achieved. Even I wouldn't have written this tool if someone didn't explicitly ask me to.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 21st Jul 2017 at 9:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
They do the exact same thing - both tools are from the same dev, and this is actually what he said about the patcher:

alright, thanks for explaining!