Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 7:47 PM Last edited by cmomoney : 12th Feb 2010 at 3:45 PM.
Default What are your favorite Blender 3D features?
I'm still learning Blender, but I would have to say some of my favorite features are:
  • AO/texture baking (why was I doing it all by hand? )
  • Array, Mirror, and SpinDup
  • Customizable UI
  • The pop-up preview

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 4th Feb 2010 at 8:57 PM
The texture baking really is awesome (now that I know how to do it in high quality), particulary for TS3. In TS2 you could always fudge it, somewhat, by tweaking the entire texture the way you want it .. but in TS3 the shadows are the only thing you make and they have to work under all circumstances.

I don't even want to know how people who don't use blender construct their shadows now, but it has to be a bit of a pain in the ass. I just had to readjust (and re-readjust and re-re-re-readjust) a shadow in PS, for an EA map which just wasn't accurate, and that was an absolute nightmare – next time I'll just remap the entire thing and let blender do the rest.

I think I have a faint memory of the array stuff .. is that where you duplicate parts of a mesh and make them behave all the same? (I'll have to look into that next time I make something with four legs)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Feb 2010 at 9:53 PM Last edited by cmomoney : 12th Feb 2010 at 3:45 PM.
Mirror modifier is better for the four legs. But yeah, that's what it is. What I use Array for is like the newspaper stacks in my/MogHughson's newspaper rack, and SpinDup for my sunburst clock (the spheres and posts).

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Test Subject
#4 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 12:56 AM
The Subsurf modifier. I love everything smooth. :P
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 4:41 AM
Loop select and Loop subdivide... You know, my choices are beginning to make me look lazy

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Test Subject
#6 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 11:21 PM
Lol.
I also like the particle system. I'm now learning how to do hair but is looking weird. o.o
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#7 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 11:36 PM
Yeah, I had problems with hair too. I could make clouds and stuff, but hair always acted funny. I think 2.5 is supposed to handle hair better. I did do well with cloth, though.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]