Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 12:13 AM
Default Free Will setting
do you set that setting to "on" or to "off"?

me, I generally have it off whenever I test anything. and when modifying occupied lots.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 12:49 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 29th Jun 2016 at 12:42 PM.
I prefer it set to "off", as I most often test stuff and do storytelling, and having sims wander around aimlessly getting occupied with random business usually gets in the way of that.

When I once in a blue moon do play legacy-style, I usually leave free will on, though.
Scholar
#3 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 12:50 AM
on always. But I seem to have a malfunction with it in my normal folder. I know it must be mods because in my vanilla folder, Free Will functions fine. In my normal folder if I have more than 2 adults in the house, Free Will just stops. They all stand around and do nothing. It's awful and I have to micromanage everything. But what's really weird is guests have Free Will and the toddlers and children function properly...as do the pets, so it is something that affects teens, young adults, adults and elders. I know it's a mod and quite frankly, probably one I'm not willing to give up. So I installed ACR and now my Sims have the appearance of Free Will...they just seem really amorous all the time!

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Mad Poster
#4 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 12:56 AM
Most of the time "on", but "off" when I want the parent/guardian to teach a child/teen how to study. If I don't, they rather do anything but teach the kid how to study.
Alchemist
#5 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 1:06 AM
I leave it on if I'm playing and off if I'm setting up specific scenes for pictures.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 2:47 AM
Never off. Less control = more smart sims.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 3:43 AM Last edited by FranH : 29th Jun 2016 at 6:15 PM.
Absolutely never off-I always play with it on, and have from the very start. I couldn't stand trying to control those rampant pixels!

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#8 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 4:33 AM
On unless I'm trying to take pictures because they won't stand still.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 4:58 AM
On except for posed pictures. It's only 1/2 a game with free will off.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#10 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 6:52 AM
On;except for posed pics, which I almost never take - I agree with Jo, half of the game is gone if they cannot do their own thing, they are full of surprises.
Scholar
#11 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 7:06 AM
Always on, which sometimes led to some confusion when I downloaded a lot and the creator had free will off. It usually takes forever to remember why the stupid pixels just stay at the mailbox without a single attempt to do something.

The horizon of many people is a circle with a radius of zero. They call this their point of view. - Albert Einstein
Arathea's Area @ TFM's Sims Asylum - TS2 & TS3 Stuff
Mad Poster
#12 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 7:24 AM
As far as I'm concerned, the free will off option exists solely so I can get sims lined up on camera when taking pics to post for the upload thread. Even during development of a neighborhood for sharing, I don't turn it off. It'd be like trying to sail on an indoor swimming pool.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#13 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 7:52 AM
I like to have the sim I'm directing with free will off but the rest of the household on, which is hard to achieve sometimes. I know there is a plugin but it doesn't always want to work.

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Theorist
#14 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 2:41 PM
Always on - my sims would surely die if they had to solely rely on me.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Theorist
#15 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 3:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
On;except for posed pics, which I almost never take - I agree with Jo, half of the game is gone if they cannot do their own thing, they are full of surprises.

This... exactly.
Instructor
#16 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 3:44 PM
Always on. Although I don't know why, because I can't remember if I've ever tried with off.
Scholar
#17 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 7:17 PM
On cos the game came with it on Also its more effort to tell them exactly what to do then to just go with it. They also do cool stuff on their own, which is what gives the game its charm
Test Subject
#18 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 9:16 PM
I dont think ive ever turned it off
Meet Me In My Next Life
#19 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 11:46 PM
Always on "free will" you will be surprise of how smart the Sims are, and the things they have sense enough to do without you directing them all the time.
I think having free will turn off a player can miss out on things you never would think they can do. Like when I first ever notice a Sims cleaning a window with a cloth or lick a plate of food was because of free will.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Forum Resident
#20 Old 30th Jun 2016 at 12:02 AM
I always play with Free Will on. I like my sims to make their own decisions in a lot of things. That's the very reason I installed ACR. Free Will on is a good way for sims to show their personalities besides rolled wants!

For my physical health, I can't eat cheesecake everyday.
For my mental health, I imagine eating cheesecake everyday.
It's a delicate balance.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 30th Jun 2016 at 3:03 AM
On! For both ACR and because I like watching sims doing weird and random stuff all by themselves. The only time I have it off is when I'm using poseboxes just so they don't jump out of position. I want them standing in that cool model position, not trying to play SSX3 on the computer! >_<

Cove Family (ts4 family tree)
Scholar
#22 Old 30th Jun 2016 at 4:30 AM
always on, except for pictures.

Check out my simblr https://www.tumblr.com/blog/tbssimblr

Click the link, you know you want to. ;)
Field Researcher
#23 Old 1st Jul 2016 at 3:46 PM
I leave it on, however I'll cancel actions that don't fit what I want that Sim to do. That is, if I catch them in time.

And, sometimes, they don't 'need' to do anything, so I'll just see what they end up doing.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 1st Jul 2016 at 7:51 PM
Always off, I don't want the sims to run off doing stuff they shouldn't do.
Scholar
#25 Old 1st Jul 2016 at 7:57 PM
I always have the global free will option on, but will temporarily turn it off for individual Sims for plot reasons.