Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jan 2013 at 8:00 PM
Default Where to install custom content?
Hi all! Newbie here. I have played Sims 1 for almost 10 years and just got ALL the Sims 2 EP's and stuff packs installed last night. I am brand new to this game and have no idea where to put custom content. Since Mansion and Garden Stuff was the last one installed, that's where I have to put stuff, right? For instance, I downloaded a Sim, which came with the head and 3 outfits. The head came in a pack installer but the 3 outfits I have to extract to somewhere and I don't see where to put them in my folders....
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 4th Jan 2013 at 8:03 PM
Welcome to the site! And the Sims 2!

Oh no no, not in your program files, no, go to C:\Users\PC Name\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads.

If you don't have a Downloads folder, then just create a new one. This is the file where you place all your CC.

Since you are a newbie, make sure you read his: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...Hood_Corruption
Mad Poster
#3 Old 4th Jan 2013 at 8:12 PM
Also, there is an entire FAQ about TS2 Custom Content located here.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 4th Jan 2013 at 8:49 PM
Also, you can sub-folder all your custom content in Downloads and, if you are a CC fan, I would advise you to do this right from the start. Keep skins in a skins folder, hairstyles in a hairs folder and so on. You can sub-folder within sub-folders too. I find it's generally a good idea to keep pieces of clothing with their respective meshes (unless they have Maxis meshes, I keep all those sorts of clothing together in a folder too), and objects with their recolours. I suggest this because at some point you are going to want to delete something and you need to be able to find it again. You can rename the files ANYTHING YOU LIKE, BTW.

PS Sims 2 doesn't have separate heads though you can save the appearance of a sim created with the Bodyshop tools (which is what I would guess you have there). Once you have imported that sim into the game, you can delete the file (if you want to).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
transmogrified
retired moderator
#5 Old 4th Jan 2013 at 8:59 PM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
  • Discussion - Sims 2 Custom Content
    Remember, as the message said that displayed before you posted your thread...

If you're having any problem, issue, error, or glitch with your game, that's a job for MTS's Help section. There's both articles with common issues as well as Q&A support forums where you can ask questions and get specific help.

Game Help:Downloading for Fracking Idiotswiki
    Game Help:Getting Custom Content to Show Upwiki
    Game Help:Finding Problem Custom Contentwiki

Pretty much everything you could want to know about downloading, installing, using, or removing custom content can be found in the above-linked FAQs!

If you still have trouble, you can post a new thread in the Help Q&A forums. There's a link to the Help Q&A forums at the top of every FAQ in the Help section. If you do post there, make sure to read and follow the directions that will display before you post there!

Good luck, and happy simming! :)

Locked thread | Locked by: mangaroo Reason: referred to FAQs