Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#576 Old 21st Apr 2016 at 8:22 PM
Uge info dump ahead!

For Belladonna Cove: Violet City, an island Nation. It represents the merged Red City and Blue City from a chance card and is known as "Violent City" for it's expansionistic ambitions.

For Pleasantview: Simbinningen, the original home of the families from the Sim bin. Destroyed by an asteroid, scenic ruins.
Had I known Viper Canyon back then, the embarassing name would never have been created.

For Riverblossom Hills: Boomtown, exactly that, a place where gold is mined. Actually this is the college, for I pretend all the young people are drawn towards Boomtown to make their fortune there. Also houses the local police academy for at least a token measure of order.

For Veronaville: Iron Downs, originally only housed a prison, an asylum and a house-sized Battle Mech, but underwent gentrification recently.

For Riverside: Canopy Academy, a small college that focuses on living in, with and from nature.

For Strangetown: The downtown Kittsburgh, from a children's book, and Dalmasca Canyon, from FF 12. Dalmasca is also the name of the state Strangetown belongs to, sometimes as a state of SimNation, then again as an independant country. The college Sir Rogers Academy, a military school. I may have subconsciously thought of Steve Rogers/Captain America here.

For another Strangetown: Ansgar Landgraab University. According to a chance card he was a teacher from a couple of generations back. Might go by another name in english.

For Desiderata Valley:
Juniata City (downtown), Juniatafurt (engl. Juniata Shallows, college) - Named for the Juniata Citystate that Desiderata Valley is a part of. For the longest time it was just "the Citystate", but then I added the university on the Veronaville template and needed a name for the river. Again, the name was supplied by a children's book that took place in Pennsylvania.
Athisland (Beach vacation) - this is the southernmost outpost of the Athis Empire, Juniata's erstwhile enemy nation. No idea where I got the name from, I only remember I used it for another evil empire in Sims 1. But I'm pretty sure it's from some story or movie.
Desert Province (subhood) - a disputed stretch of land between Juniata and the empire.

Custom:
- Sims 1 reloaded. Has exactly this in, but also houses my Shepard Legacy, so it aquired the subhoods Elftown (a neighborhood in Sim Francisco), - Littleton ("Little town") and Underworld (the land of the dead).
- Lonely Valley, a neighborhood for the orphanage challenge which only had, well, the orphanage and nothing else.
- Neu Gehmingen, a pun on "New Game". In my blog I usually call it New Gameshire.
- Aridia, my prehistoric 'hood, named after the template I used. The college neighborhood is Eridu, according to mythology the oldest town on earth.
- Bad Priesnitz. On english sites I usually call it Port Priesnitz, because german "Bad" ("Bath") might get confused with english "bad". Ah, well, it isn't the nicest of places, so it strangely fits. The "Priesnitz-Bad" was a public swimming pool from my early childhood and Port Priesnitz has many beachs.
- Adlerkehren, norwegian Ørnevegen, a serpentine road near Geiranger. It's based on the Three Lakes temeplate.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#577 Old 21st Apr 2016 at 11:39 PM
Mine is Rosewood Bay. Previous neighbourhoods have been Starfall Springs and Daisy Springs.
Scholar
#578 Old 22nd Apr 2016 at 8:38 AM
my main hood consists of the following

Rematra Village: a somewhat quiet town on the island of Greenton, home to my main families.
Dyris Harbour: the desert town around 57km south from Rematra
Falaun Valley: the Business town north of Greenton University, known to be slightly on the strange and criminal side
Greenton University: the northeastern university of Greenton island.

Crua Coast: main island is Maungarakuna (known unlocally as Tricano Island, due to the three volcanic peaks that rise over the village)
Tamaziki Towers: two towers, traditional and modern.
Three Lakes: you know the usual Bigfoot infested vacation retreat.
Field Researcher
#579 Old 22nd Apr 2016 at 10:09 AM
I have around 30 something hoods that I have made (that I actually kept copies of, some weren't worth keeping).

A few of their names are:
Almostthere (desert hood on the road to nowhere)
Pitstop (another road to nowhere desert hood)
Ah Nother (dirt)
Yetah Nother (lush)
Scholar
#580 Old 22nd Apr 2016 at 11:38 AM
Love Pitstop. Reminds me of Wacky Races. xD

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Scholar
#581 Old 22nd Apr 2016 at 7:45 PM
Herning (after the place in Denmark - turns 2 soon <3)
ljijsefh Valley (needs a name)
Constructionland

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Test Subject
#582 Old 6th Nov 2016 at 10:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DancingSimmer
I get my names from Google Earth. I search around for interesting town names. I am currently working on a small coastal community called Brentwood.

I LOWKEY LIVE IN BRENTWOOD WTF HAHA
Mad Poster
#583 Old 7th Nov 2016 at 12:27 AM
My first neighbourhood was Black Mesa, named after the Black Mesa Research Facility in Half-Life. (Funny enough, there's another Black Mesa on this website, but I used one of the terrains that came with the game).

Hazelton was named after my friend's character, Hazel.

I forgot where I got the name Springwater from. I'm guessing I just liked the sound of it.

My current hood is Oakbrook. I stole the name from my other friend who was using it in her fantasy kingdom. They don't bear much resemblance - her Oakbrook is an inland medieval village in fantasy Europe, mine is a coastal town somewhere in Simcalifornia.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#584 Old 7th Nov 2016 at 3:10 AM
I often give my neighbourhoods names like Calopsita, because I love cockatiels, and Calopsita is Brazilian Portuguese for 'cockatiel'.
Top Secret Researcher
#585 Old 7th Nov 2016 at 5:51 AM
I can't remember the names of the past neighborhoods... The recent, big city themed neighborhoood is called "Skylard Heights"...

Seeing how Sims 4 has a "city" now I thought of making actual functional city in TS2 myself. It's going quite nicely.
Scholar
#586 Old 7th Nov 2016 at 8:33 AM
My current neighborhoods are called Draconis Valley, Sanctuary and Barcardi Island... i don't know why ._.
Mad Poster
#587 Old 7th Nov 2016 at 9:09 AM Last edited by HarVee : 7th Nov 2016 at 2:56 PM.
Al-Madinat Halim - "The Dreamer Town"
Bahebek City - Literally, "I Love You, City"
Raqs Nuevo - "New Dance"

Are names I thought originally use, but change to this now;

Azalea Acres
Paradiso de Mañana
Nhw-Wr (Pronounce: "Noh-Wer")

I tend to name my neighborhoods in Arabic and (Ancient) Egyptian and Spanish styles. Often mixing languages.

Quote: Originally posted by HonokaAizawa
Barcardi Island... i don't know why

Because Bacardi is great drink, yes? And what better than Island surround by it?

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Scholar
#588 Old 7th Nov 2016 at 12:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee

Because Bacardi is great drink, yes? And what better than Island surround by it?

Maybe that was my inspiration

I wanted something... unusual for my shipwrecked Sims... they named the island like that
Field Researcher
#589 Old 7th Nov 2016 at 12:25 PM
My Mega/Uberhood is now officially United Neighborhoods of Simnation.
Theorist
#590 Old 7th Nov 2016 at 1:37 PM
Mainly playing Pleasantview right now. Added two additional districts called "Kingston" and "Hartfield". Just wanted something that blends in naturally with a name like "Pleasantview"

Also have a custom hood named "Longriver" (i know, creative) using the Veronaville Terrain.
Lab Assistant
#591 Old 7th Nov 2016 at 1:44 PM
My custom neighborhood (the only I've been playing) is called Circadian Springs. The "Springs" in the end is just because it's a generic word that goes with towns names. "Circadian" is from the circardian rythm, refering to the rythm of any biological process that oscilates for around 24 hours, this part was inspired by Circadian Eyes, my favorite Post Rock/Ambient music project.

But the name "Circadian Springs" itself doesn't mean anything, I just use it because it sounds beautiful.
Mad Poster
#592 Old 7th Nov 2016 at 2:17 PM
Actually "Springs" means that the town was founded to take advantage of the springs of fresh, or possibly medicinal, water in the area. "Circadian Springs" ought to mean that there's a 24-hour cycle associated with the springs, which would be unusual and worth noting. Perhaps there's a basin that's completely flushed by the springs in a 24-hour period; or perhaps they're thermal springs associated with a geological process that causes them to change their temperature or rate of flow during the day.

So you could build a community lot that was a spa built around these springs, and have a whole industry based on the idea that soaking in them has health benefits; or they could supply geothermal energy to the town; or...you have a good name like that, you might as well use it to give depth to the town.

This is something modern people forget. Arbitrary place names is a relatively recent development, which originated in the intrusion of capitalism into city planning. When developers started grabbing up empty-looking land and turning it into towns and subdivisions to which people were attracted by advertising and hype rather than distinctive features, any old name would do as long as it sounded nice. In other situations, names are given for reasons, and they mean something; usually geographical, often historic, sometimes cultural. The towns of Bath in England, Baden-Baden in Germany, and Colorado Springs in America are all named for natural water features believed to have medicinal properties (and all have a tourist industry originally based on medical tourism).

I live in San Antonio, so-named because the Spanish-speaking people who began the process of turning it into a city did so on the feast day of Saint Anthony of Padua - a cultural reason. I used to live in a town named San Angelo - but there is no St. Angelo in the Calendar of Saints, so where did that name come from? Well, by the time the area needed a post office people in Texas were used to towns named according to the Spanish protocol, but did not have the cultural impulse to name things after saint's days and in any case the community already existed, it just needed a name to get the post office. So the postmaster filling out the form decided to name it Santa Angela, after his sister, who was a nun. The person who finalized the paperwork misogynistically changed it to the masculine form on the grounds that the feminine "didn't sound right."

If you think about the history, geography, and culture of your hood, you'll find yourself generating story ideas along with the names. If you have already named a hood, and look at it thinking in terms of what the words in the name mean, you'll find inspiration ditto.

A name is never just a name.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#593 Old 7th Nov 2016 at 2:36 PM
My prosperous farming neighbourhood was named Acadie, for the area settled by French farmers in Atlantic Canada.

I had an "immigrant" neighbourhood called Eastport (in which all Sims lived in apartments and had to buy expensive work permits before they could get a job), with a subhood called Newhaven for the aristocratic citizens. Eastport was filled with factory buildings and was the most most realistic-looking neighbourhood I've created.

I haven't come up with a good name for my BaCC neighbourhood yet and am still just calling it Driftwood County (from the name of the template), which I guess is okay until it becomes more built-up, but it has an unofficial alien subhood named Orion's Belt (using the Strangetown template) and family bin Sims who haven't yet been placed in the game are living in Hill Country (using the template with three levels on a mountainside), which fits with my backstory of a bandit-filled area that Chris Norton has been sent to settle and civilize.
Mad Poster
#594 Old 7th Nov 2016 at 3:14 PM Last edited by HarVee : 7th Nov 2016 at 3:44 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
This is something modern people forget. Arbitrary place names is a relatively recent development, which originated in the intrusion of capitalism into city planning.

If you think about the history, geography, and culture of your hood, you'll find yourself generating story ideas along with the names. If you have already named a hood, and look at it thinking in terms of what the words in the name mean, you'll find inspiration ditto.

A name is never just a name.

This is great post, and actually reason why I renamed my main three neighborhoods above. The original names not really fit. Azalea Acres was originally Raqs Nuevo as it name pay homage to founder (Me) whom happen really like Raqs Beledi, but when decorating I found myself putting much of neighborhood flower decoration down and so I change to Azalea Acres for this new vast acres of Azalea flowery goodness.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Scholar
#595 Old 7th Nov 2016 at 3:33 PM
I named my custom hood Suffering. It's because I was REALLY tired when making it and I still don't have a name.
Lab Assistant
#596 Old 7th Nov 2016 at 4:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Actually "Springs" means that the town was founded to take advantage of the springs of fresh, or possibly medicinal, water in the area. "Circadian Springs" ought to mean that there's a 24-hour cycle associated with the springs, which would be unusual and worth noting. Perhaps there's a basin that's completely flushed by the springs in a 24-hour period; or perhaps they're thermal springs associated with a geological process that causes them to change their temperature or rate of flow during the day.

So you could build a community lot that was a spa built around these springs, and have a whole industry based on the idea that soaking in them has health benefits; or they could supply geothermal energy to the town; or...you have a good name like that, you might as well use it to give depth to the town.

Oh, I didn't know about that, I'm not used to town related terms in english.

Thinking about it, this is indeed a very good way to add more plot depth into the neighborhood. I'm going to explore it sooner or later in my gameplay, thanks for the tips!
Mad Poster
#597 Old 7th Nov 2016 at 9:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BlueAlien
My prosperous farming neighbourhood was named Acadie, for the area settled by French farmers in Atlantic Canada.

Here's a fun fact for you: Some of the dikes that the Acadians built over 400 years ago are still being used today. Later on, when they were deported by the British, many of them ended up down in Lousiana, where the word "Acadian" ended up being corrupted to "Cajun."

As for name origins, I'm told that Pictou (one of the smaller towns along the Northumberland Strait) is Mi'kmaq for "fart."

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Field Researcher
#598 Old 7th Nov 2016 at 11:16 PM Last edited by eduseo : 7th Nov 2016 at 11:59 PM.
Hmm, some of the names I remember using are:

Coverville
Moonlit Bayside
Echo Hills
Laspina Valley
Leora
Leora Springs (Leora was supposed to have a subhood originally but Leora died before I could make it, so I made it into a separate 'hood.)
Vacive Barrens
Summerfield Lake
Aldero Riverside (current one)

Cove Family (ts4 family tree)
Test Subject
#599 Old 7th Nov 2016 at 11:35 PM
I normally just google town names but I have come up with three by myself.

Grandview
Moonrise Valley
Sin Valley (I made the seven deadly sins as sims here)
Page 24 of 24