Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 12:40 AM Last edited by [email protected] : 10th Oct 2018 at 1:24 PM.
Default My Works in Progress
Hi everyone, this is actually the first time I have came onto a Sims-related chat group, but I have been playing this game for over fifteen years. I am fond of build mode and recently I learned to edit some worlds via CAW, but I also have made many, many Sims (I'll upload them eventually). Currently, I am editing a world known as Ania Bay City by Auntielynds and adding things such as custom terrain paints, street signs, distant terrain, and decorative buildings (i.e. Carlos or TJStreak), so I can turn this map from a blank template into a living, breathing virtual set of pixels (haha). This world is very very large. I will be primarily using fake buildings, such as those aforementioned, as well as some brownstones, etc. from a great set of Sims 4: City Living buildings that I downloaded from Around the Sims 3. The city map is highly reminiscent of New York City, which I think was the original creator's vision. Thus, there will be at least five neighborhoods for this world to function without severe routing issues, not to mention a solid metro line. I'm not a Simming expert but I have been meaning to upload some progress of my project(s) for ages so that, finally, I can share my Sims' world with the real world.

Sincerely,
James
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 4:06 AM
Default Blue City (work-in-progress)
This city's name is still subject-to-change, but I chose Blue City because the last ambitious project that I (all-but) completed was named Red City, and these two maps are alike and opposite in many ways. I'm sure one of the 500+ photos from Red City and its Sims will find their way onto this thread eventually.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 4:42 AM Last edited by [email protected] : 10th Oct 2018 at 3:30 PM.
Default Some Foreground/Inspiration
Blue City has had many inspirations. Primarily, Red City was a map that was like a predecessor and a foil to Blue City. It largely consisted of factories, mills, and housing projects, creating a gritty environment. The "Red" was to signify hard work, as many shopping malls were located in this Sim City, as a result from the (hypothetical) production of many goods here. Red City would relate more to Istanbul or Moscow, Astana, etc. even Shanghai or Hong Kong. However, "Blue" City signifies several other things: the large blue bay (Red City was divided by a river instead), the modern, cosmopolitan feel of the city, the "consumption" answer to the "production" analogy for Red City, as well as the hint of blueish hue in the air as given off by the custom distant terrain and lighting mods.

The first two images are from Chicago, IL. I have used this city as an inspiration because of some of the iconic buildings it shares with Blue City (Sears Tower, Hancock Tower) as well as the fact that Chicago is a city of extended suburbs, contrasting a city like Tokyo or Hong Kong that is much more densely populated by square mile. Also, I hope to have the Elevated Train for this map, another common phenomena of Chicago and other cities.

The third image is Los Angeles, California. Like Chicago, a towering, expansive skyline dominates a city of sprawling neighborhoods and low- to mid-rises.

The fourth image is Shanghai, China. Although this is a much more densely populated city than the two aforementioned, I hope to achieve the same eclectic view of the skyline as shared by Asian cities like Shanghai, Chengdu, Hong Kong, and Singapore.

The fifth image is London, England. The Gherkin can also be seen here as a prominent figure in the skyline. I have also planned to include the Trans-American Pyramid, which resembles the Shard. Moreover, many of the decorative city buses in Blue City will be the iconic red double-deckers from London, courtesy of Simming in Magnificent Style.

As stated before, I am a novice at this and any tips, recommendations, or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 4:48 AM
Default Expanding The City
For me, distant terrain options were limited. I wasn't overly concerned with the biome (lush, desert, etc.) of the distant terrain; I just struggled with placing a consistent distant terrain around three sides of a city meant to be on an inlet. However, the Custom City Distant Terrain by Nukael at MTS has helped tremendously in creating an environment for this map that I love. It creates a vast expanse of city, while also reminiscent of other maps that I love such as those from Jet Set Radio or Grand Theft Auto. Behind the city terrain I placed simple southwest corners to create land that continues on past the city. Thanks again to this awesome creator for making my world better than it ever could have been.

http://modthesims.info/t/408351
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 5:32 AM Last edited by [email protected] : 10th Oct 2018 at 1:30 PM.
Default Red City - The Predecessor
Red City is located to the east of Blue City. It is very highly populated, much more so than Blue City. The population including all townies is around 2000. if every artificial window could be occupied with a family of 2-5, this city would have at least two million residents. There is everything to do here; however, unlike Blue City, Red City is a concrete jungle and one must all but travel to another world/city in order to so things involving grass. It has smoggy mornings, long, cold, winters, and equally long and scorching summers. Red City is a very old settlement. It is filled with temples, mosques, bathhouses, shops, exhibits, restaurants, and plenty of entertainment. Unlike the map of Blue City, which has an almost uniform street grid, Red City is made of long, winding roads and odd intersections. Like Blue City, Red City's map is loosely based on that of NYC, with 4-5 easily identifiable boroughs and a South-North skyline, but with a river passing through it instead of sitting on a bay/inlet. Red City is the raw, industrial answer to the glitzy and embellished Blue City. Red City is a cultural hub and the Sister City to Blue City.

p.s. A large sector (almost the entire western portion) of Red City is entirely factories and housing blocks and is loosely based upon The Works from planet Coruscant, from Star Wars .
Mad Poster
#6 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 11:22 AM
Damn, looks like you've been putting a crazy amount of time and effort into these cities.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 12:05 PM
Default Reply
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Damn, looks like you've been putting a crazy amount of time and effort into these cities.

Thanks for the compliment!
I usually get on my computer about 1 or 2 days out of the week, usually my off days. I have been working on Red City since January (?) until late August, so that was about eight months of work (Still far from complete). Then, in August I downloaded CAW and worked up the patience to learn to use it. That is when I begun Blue City. I knew about its map (Ania Bay City/Twin Skies) for years and always wanted to fill this giant map up. So, I have an ambitious project ahead of me However, since it has been CAW and not the game, I must finish the work on CAW 100% before I can truly edit in the actual Sims 3 (CAW edit-in-game - meh). Therefore, I have put more effort into Blue City from the beginning since CAW is very tedious and meticulous. Lately I try to spend about an hour or so on CAW every two or three days. I am busy so I don't always have time to work on it, but I am a very picky Sims player and I have *never* found a world/neighborhood that suited me, so I finally started making my own (and finishing them)

p.s. Red City may look near completion but it really is only about 50% finished......so you can see that this is endlessly time consuming (when I have the time)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 12:33 PM
Default My Sims
Here are some photos of my Sims that I have made over the past year. I have some much older screenshots from 4-5 yrs ago but i will have to find them. Much like *everything* else that is made by EA, like most other Simmers, I found all clothes, makeup, and hairstyles in CAS to be appalling. Therefore, as you can see, I use much CC to keep these virtual people looking spiffy
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 12:43 PM
Default Some happy Sim Daddies/Step-daddies
As you can see, the men in my Sims' world are always there to be a fatherly figure (even if the smoking mod doesn't care if you are holding a baby....oops *realistic*).

In the first picture, a Sim takes his step-son for a city stroll. As morbidly realistic as it is, many sim fathers are simply baby-daddies and straight-up abandon their children. The mother had ended up with this guy, and they had a baby of their own, but only after he became like a father to his stepson. He adopted the child and gave him his last name. Sappy, right?!?

Before baby-mama found Mr. Right (photo #1), she spent a lot of time going back and forth to her old flame (redhead guy, fourth photo). Here, you can see him as well taking care of the baby, although he *might* be enjoying a cigarette along with enjoying baby's company. Oh shit, it's 2018. Everybody is gonna freak out.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 2:21 PM
Default Blue City Birdseye
The city as seen from above, in CAW. This layout is unique because north runs diagonally to the upper right on the map, when viewed with the bay on the very bottom.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 2:23 PM
Default Canals
Why am I obsessed with them? (Too bad the Gondola on the Sims 3 Store is garbage)
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 2:24 PM
Default Looking to the East
The bay/inlet of Blue City that has yet to be named.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 2:30 PM
Default Bridge Help
I would love to be able to replace the hideous Brooklyn Bridge with a more modern one such as this one, by Simming in Magnificent Style. Does anyone have a good link to a tutorial for roads/bridges so that i won't completely destroy the routing? Thanks
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 2:34 PM
Default Metro
I really would like to showcase TJ Streak's (long-lost) L-train set here and all around the city....

Does anyone have these files?!?
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 4:14 PM
Default Bath houses (More from Red City)
As I said before, Red City shares some characteristics with a city in Turkey, Russia, or Central Asia. One of the most popular places in this town for Sim-pals is to the bath house. In Russia, a bath house is called banya. In Turkey, it is called a Hammam. Although they differ in some ways, they both share the concept of public bathing and making a hang out spot out of these traditional bath houses. The Sims of Red City love to spend time together at the bath house and drink alcohol (yes, I downloaded a mod that modifies nectar into other liquors, i.e. vodka, whiskey, etc.). Basically, it's a damn good ole' time there. Red City has at least five of them, and I plan to plant some into Blue City as well, in the future.

Here, you can see some of my Sim-homies enjoying the sauna-like atmosphere together. Their expressions tend to be priceless. They really can emulate real people and emotions sometimes. They genuinely look relaxed and at ease here. :D
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 4:34 PM
Default Sim Life
These are some photos from various Sims in various worlds. Before the conception of Blue City, I had made several "satellite" towns around Red City, most notably a mountain valley town with federal characteristics. All of these towns share a motif with their parent city: Red can be seen in many places (it's my favorite color, after all).
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 4:39 PM
Default Sim Life
Sim life cont'd
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 4:45 PM
Default Sims Life
Sims life cont'd
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 12th Oct 2018 at 6:52 AM
Default Poses
They are fun.
Screenshots
Theorist
#20 Old 12th Oct 2018 at 11:51 PM
You might be interested in the distant terrain that comes with Jje1000’s Boroughsburg hood. Lots of distant skyscrapers and stuff in that one.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 3:59 PM
Default The Crimson Metropolis
*MY CROWNING (Sims-related) ACHIEVEMENT OF THE YEAR (sorry, can't beat graduating college and quitting smoking )

I nicknamed this concrete jungle "Spanish Harlem"...

The diverse, massive, and simply gorgeous Red City at 7am on a frigid winter's morning... I wonder, is Red City or Blue City a larger map? I cant decide.....

Can anyone else figure it out?

Also-----it would be interesting to know if I can port this world into CAW and place some distant terrain (I HATE when a world is an island unless it is like Isla Paradiso, Sunlit Tides, etc.) the DT from Boroughsburg would definitely suit this world

comments welcome :D
Screenshots
dodgy builder
#22 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 4:21 PM
Feedback on projects like this should go here: http://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=612

There you can have people follow your post, and have testers post their input.
dodgy builder
#23 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 4:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
You might be interested in the distant terrain that comes with Jje1000’s Boroughsburg hood. Lots of distant skyscrapers and stuff in that one.

People is going to pester @jadk1294 about square worlds like this, so a dt might be a good solution. It might just be too late though. OP might have built this on terrain that will be blow the dt.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 5:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
People is going to pester @jadk1294 about square worlds like this, so a dt might be a good solution. It might just be too late though. OP might have built this on terrain that will be blow the dt.

Definitely so, Boroughsburg's DT was specifically designed for the layout of that world (the layout came first, then the DT), and it likely wouldn't look good fitted into a world that's already been designed- I would suggest making a custom distant terrain- which is surprisingly easy to do!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 11:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Feedback on projects like this should go here: http://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=612

There you can have people follow your post, and have testers post their input.

Thank you!
Page 1 of 2