Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 10:31 PM
Default Competitor - who should it be?
What game company should challenge EA in the competition dual to put their efforts, passion and most of all - their love for fans on bringing a new life simulation game that would beat the angry poop out of EA's shiny-cashgrab that goes by the name "The Sims 0.5 4" ?

Sorry for my horrible english.
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 11:53 PM
Of the choices out there, I'mma go out on a limb and say I'd love to see Bethesda take a whack at it. Imagine the graphics, and the gritty content! :lovestruc
Field Researcher
#3 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 12:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
What game company should challenge EA in the competition dual to put their efforts, passion and most of all - their love for fans on bringing a new life simulation game that would beat the angry poop out of EA's shiny-cashgrab that goes by the name "The Sims 0.5 4" ?

Sorry for my horrible english.

I believe life-simulator game is the hardest genre to be made. The Designers and scripters need to put their effort into everything (especially animations) and keeping the deadline as short as possible. btw I would like to see Rockstar to make this game.
Theorist
#4 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 12:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kompaktive
I believe life-simulator game is the hardest genre to be made. The Designers and scripters need to put their effort into everything (especially animations) and keeping the deadline as short as possible. btw I would like to see Rockstar to make this game.

One thing is for sure, they wouldn't have to ask on twitter how to implement cars!
Instructor
#5 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 2:28 AM
I'm voting for Frontier. Planet Coaster is a great looking game, their updates put the occasional free t-shirt to shame, they don't condescend to their audience and they understand the importance of control and creativity. Most importantly, they get the cool stuff. While Sims will always have a special place in my heart, they haven't blown me away for a long time. They always seem to leave out that one thing that would make the latest pack really cool. EA Sims art department is second to none but it's become apparent that the game engine is sadly lacking and there's not enough budget for good coding.

Sadly, I don't think Frontier's operation is big enough to tackle a life simulator while focusing on their main product.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 4:05 AM
A Bethesda made Sims game, would be the buggiest pile of shit that I wouldn't pay any money for.
S4 has enough that the team doesn't actually fix, i'd be dead and gone before Bethesda patched any of theirs.

And i choose CD Projekt, not because i think it'd be any good, but because i know they would craft every buttcheek with care.
And that's all that matters to me.
I'm tired of EAs terrible bodies/vanilla textures.
Instructor
#7 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 4:41 AM
I think our best bet would be for some indie developer to just rustle up the genre or if Paradox Interactive made a move on the series.

Also, one thing we need to chill out about is graphics. If anyone is going to take this call and compete with the Sims it will not be something that looks better then Sims 4, for sure. We're set up for failure if you think graphics are going to win the Sims competition.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 4:54 AM
I would actually love to see a joint effort between Colossal Order and Frontier. Both are quite the capable simulation developers, and integration with Cities: Skylines' terraforming and map editing tools would be amazing for building worlds.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 6:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Alistair
I would actually love to see a joint effort between Colossal Order and Frontier. Both are quite the capable simulation developers, and integration with Cities: Skylines' terraforming and map editing tools would be amazing for building worlds.

I thought colossal order is just a publisher. Did you mean Paradox?
Theorist
#10 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 2:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kompaktive
I thought colossal order is just a publisher. Did you mean Paradox?

Other way around!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#11 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 2:32 PM
Colossal Order - not if it's as abstracted as Cities Skylines - though I don't doubt their ability to understand the depth we'd like in the simulation I think they are having to work to their publisher's budget and deadline to a large extent.

Frontier - depth of simulation yes, and powerful build tools yes. But they haven't opened Planet Coaster up for modding via the back end like The Sims is, we could find ourselves restricted to in-game creativity tools.

I think we could do worse than keep it in EA but maybe have input from one of the other teams who have made more in-depth and realistic simulations - have a rethink about the direction the game is taking which is as a parody of itself.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 6:23 PM
Colossal Order makes Cities: Skylines. Paradox distributes it. (Paradox also make their own games, almost entirely historical grand strategy. Though Stellaris is a 4X game.)

Paradox have been acquiring some interesting rights, lately. They bought White Wolf (last year? late 2015? something like that). (Is a new werewolf or vampire RPG on the way? Much speculation on the Paradox boards.) They acquired Triumph this year (the makers of Age of Wonders).

They also have distribution arrangements with CO (transportation games), Harebrained Schemes (Battletech), and Obsidian (old-school RPGs).
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 6:24 PM
Rockstar wouldn't on my high list town and I even doubt they would win the competition. Most of the simmers/sim-fans lean towards family play and stories, and that kind of relative crap than violence and sexual appeal. Rockstar wouldn't even see the reason to deliver toddlers at all (not that I care of, but that's why most of the demography return TS4 and play it).
Field Researcher
#14 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 6:43 PM
I'm gonna agree ... and say Colossal order or Frontier.... EA/Maxis had their chance.... They fucking ruined it. Anything they do now will just be a shit show. Plus I'm pretty sure EA/Maxis are just going to keep pushing the sims into the Mobile app game play that they have now.

I'd love to see someone take what was done in TS2 and TS3, and expand on that. All they have to do is go to The official sims forum .... What the players really want is all over the Feedback forum. They need to raise the specs.... That is the one thing EA/Maxis has screwed up on every time. They make the game for lower end graphics and old computers. This game can be spectacular, but huge, if done right. And if the game was re-done by someone else, they nee to step up and fix the fucking bugs ... and not leave them to 3rd party Modders (although we love you) to fix all the problems.

Man I hope Someone like Frontier or Colossal order does it. This games needs some love.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#15 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 7:04 PM
Introversion - makers of Prison Architect. I'd happily swap the 3D graphics for their attention to simulation detail. But I am sure they could handle the 3d graphics too. That's who should make the rival!

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Theorist
#16 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 10:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by newlibertysims
I'd love a life simulator by Colossal Order. I can see them taking it more seriously and including things like traffic systems, taxes and utlities (along with more realistic behavior). No stupid deaths and flip-flopping of emotions. Maybe rain and simplified pets in the base game.

... Did you forget about the white picket fence?

Are you ill?

Should I order you some universal magic medicine from the computer? Because -that's- safe...
Instructor
#17 Old 19th Jul 2017 at 7:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
Imagine the graphics, and the gritty content! :lovestruc

Sure, if you like muddy, low resolution textures, horrible game performance and an awful engine that should have been made obsolete after Oblivion, then yes.

The Sims 4! Weirder Sims! Aren't they weird!? Look how weird they are! Bet you can't wait to see how weird their stories are!?
Theorist
#18 Old 19th Jul 2017 at 8:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vertisea
Sure, if you like muddy, low resolution textures, horrible game performance and an awful engine that should have been made obsolete after Oblivion, then yes.

You mean exactly what we already have? It'd be a smooth transition~
Scholar
#19 Old 19th Jul 2017 at 9:01 PM
Finally I can *disagree*! (mashing red button)

I'd not give any cent for Paradox (they went deep into dark DLC-shitty Valley (see what they did with CK...) ), Collosal Order are just immature, the game is nice distraction (and I really like it, until the program hits its obvious computing limitations), quite well done for a such small studio but deeply not serious (using Unity for data processing heavy game? are you kidding me? It's not a students' project...RLY?).

The devotion for CD-Project just shows how low we managed to put our standards. They made a few quite well B-class, well-selling products thanks to workforce cost-friendly country where they operates (and where they do not keep money). But - honestly - these are really good B-class products. It's not "bad". It's just mediocre. And it's sad when mediocricy becomes "marvellous"... such a times.

Most of You probably knows why proper spelling for "Bethesta" is "Bugthesta", right?

So.. not really. Maybe the whole genre should be buried for a few years or maybe even more, 'till all that MMO-DLC-Microtransaction disease won't just *puff* where its belongs. Until you want to have ((pokemon-sims-collective-dailyquest-mmo-[...])-[with TombRaider's errr... "shape" (a special additional paid DLCs, only 15 $ for one])

I'd be rather worried if someone got an idea to "brave the new Sims' world" and turn it into No Sims' Sky-whatever.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Forum Resident
#20 Old 19th Jul 2017 at 9:12 PM
It was a joke, breh.
Instructor
#21 Old 19th Jul 2017 at 11:10 PM
You mean exactly what we already have? It'd be a smooth transition~

Trust me, I've worked with the gamebryo engine and played Bethesda's gamebryo games extensively. You do not want a Sims game on gamebryo.

It would be anything but smooth, and the game would look even worse than it does now. You're either biased or misinformed if you think the majority of textures in Bethesda games are a higher resolution than those of The Sims 4.

The Sims 4! Weirder Sims! Aren't they weird!? Look how weird they are! Bet you can't wait to see how weird their stories are!?
Theorist
#22 Old 19th Jul 2017 at 11:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vertisea
Trust me, I've worked with the gamebryo engine and played Bethesda's gamebryo games extensively. You do not want a Sims game on gamebryo.

It would be anything but smooth, and the game would look even worse than it does now. You're either biased or misinformed if you think the majority of textures in Bethesda games are a higher resolution than those of The Sims 4.

*shrug* never played, I just thought screenshots of Fallout 4 looked nice. Then looked up who made it to type my response to this thread. RIP

You caught me.
Instructor
#23 Old 19th Jul 2017 at 11:30 PM
*shrug* never played, I just thought screens of Fallout 4 looked nice. Then looked up who made it to type my response to this thread. RIP

You caught me.

They do, and their games do like nice. As long as you don't get too close and squint your eyes a bit.