Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jul 2017 at 3:49 PM
Default 107 The Sims Facts YOU Should Know! 🤔
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX2aQpsAFJU
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 18th Jul 2017 at 5:22 PM
Quite interesting, you can say the very earliest origins of the game as it is today, come back as far as 1984, when Will Wright programmed a completely unrelated game for the Commodore 64.

Raid on Bungeling Bay

When he admitted he had more fun building the city than playing the game, then there was an idea, well it at least opened the door for Simcity, then followed by of course, I wonder...
Mad Poster
#3 Old 18th Jul 2017 at 7:10 PM
I wish there was a transcript available. I find it very hard to sit and watch 20 minutes of info-tube, but am quite willing to read an article. I'll just have to do it at some point - I love Sim history. In articals and interviews (like this one), as you pointed out, Will Wright said that while working on Raid, he enjoyed building the city and it lead to Sim City. As he played that, he then he wondered about all those people in the city. Then there was a fire in his home and it caused him to question how people prioritize when setting up a home, all of which lead to The Sims, originally designed as an architectural game. But the little people were so entertaining! And Wright is one of those admirable characters He's curious and into everything. Check out his bibliography for the Sims. It's vast and varied and has much to do with science, sociology, psychology, as well as architecture and language. So much informed the design of that game. (This article talks about some of the influences .)

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Scholar
#4 Old 19th Jul 2017 at 2:09 AM
I did not know that s4 was 80$ when it first came out, holy crap. I didn't buy it back then because I kinda assumed my laptop couldn't handle it....now it definitely couldn't, its dead.

Oh well I'm glad I waited. Thanks for sharing it was interesting.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 20th Jul 2017 at 8:20 AM
Very fun to watch!
Instructor
#6 Old 20th Jul 2017 at 9:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by spidergirl79
I did not know that s4 was 80$ when it first came out, holy crap.

It wasnt, it was $59.99.

There were several editions; Base ($59.99.), Limited, Digital Deluxe, Premium and Collectors with the only really difference is in their bonus (besides price), Collectors is/was the most expensive one at $99.99 because it included all bonus of the other versions as well a USB Plumbob.

$79.99 was the price of the Premium that only had the Creators Guide Book over the Digital Deluxe (that was $10 cheaper), you can see the pattern of each edition being $10 more expensive that the rest, considering you had to have Origin you could always get the Base for $59.99 at Origin, the only ones that were physical store exclusive were Premium and Collectors due to containing physical items (Creators Guide Book and USB Plumbob).

Still highway robbery at $59.99 at the state it launched, I got my copy at $47.99 during the winter sale back in 2014.
Scholar
#7 Old 20th Jul 2017 at 3:56 PM
Ah, okay. I can't even remember how much I paid but I'm sure it was on sale.