Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 10:09 PM
Default That Price of Sims 4 looks tempting.. whats a sims 2 lover to do???
I'm still having lots of fun playing sims 2. But I was thinking about taking that $15 chance on Sims 4. The thing is I love my hacks, custom jobs. love my expansions, Apartments, Pets, Universities, and Vacation spots. Does the sims 4 have any of this?? Am I taking a giant leap forward in lots of things but a step back in others?? I'm interested in all opinions so feel free to speak freely.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 10:42 PM
Not gonna start making a review about the game, because first of all I'm bad at that, and second - I might change your viewpoint without you actually finding out the game for yourself whenever you like it or not.

So to not be subjective/bias about this, I'm gonna simply answer your question in the original post (not the reply) with facts. The Sims 4 doesn't have pets and universities (yet? none of those for confirmed up to do this date). It does have apartment (in City Living), which unfornately can't be build from scratch and place on other lots&worlds (i.e. the player is stuck/confined to play in the expansion pack's introduced premade world and apartments. Outdoor Retreat game pack introduce one new destination world.

I think (not really sure 100%) that there are custom jobs created, and obviously hacks which can be found here.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 11:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
It does have apartment (in City Living), which unfornately can't be build from scratch and place on other lots&worlds (i.e. the player is stuck/confined to play in the expansion pack's introduced premade world and apartments. .

Can you move out of the apartments and into a home or anpother world right?? Is there weather??
Field Researcher
#4 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 11:06 PM
No there's no weather.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 11:19 PM
this games been out 4 years and theres no pets, no university,no weather, and there's rumors of Sims 5 development??? smh..
Theorist
#6 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 11:41 PM
The other issue with Apartments in City living is you need to keep doors locked or neighbours will treat your apartment like their own. You also only have 1-2 neighbours in the pre-made buildings and in order to visit each one you have to go through a separate loading screen. You have the option of giving keys to your neighbours/friends and they will visit you for special events, but the last I checked that was completely broken and broke all events in the game permanently until you revoked all of said keys. I'm not sure if this was fixed.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 11:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DGV441982
this games been out 4 years and theres no pets, no university,no weather, and there's rumors of Sims 5 development??? smh..

Actually the game came out Sept 2, 2014, over two and a half years. And nope, the "gurus" keep giving the excuse that everything is "too hard, too expensive."
Scholar
#8 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 12:46 AM
Don't do it man, you won't be the same without your toddlers escaping cribs, babies being washed in sinks and changed on the change table. Etc

Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
The other issue with Apartments in City living is you need to keep doors locked or neighbours will treat your apartment like their own. You also only have 1-2 neighbours in the pre-made buildings and in order to visit each one you have to go through a separate loading screen. You have the option of giving keys to your neighbours/friends and they will visit you for special events, but the last I checked that was completely broken and broke all events in the game permanently until you revoked all of said keys. I'm not sure if this was fixed.

The keys work fine for me, strange :\ You can't leave during the event unless you click on something outside and go down to the ground level, and then click something in the apartment to return. Its kind of a loophole I guess.
Theorist
#9 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 1:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by spidergirl79
The keys work fine for me, strange :\ You can't leave during the event unless you click on something outside and go down to the ground level, and then click something in the apartment to return. Its kind of a loophole I guess.

They must have fixed the bug then, good to know!
Instructor
#10 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 3:16 AM Last edited by Manderz0630 : 16th Jul 2017 at 6:53 AM. Reason: Added another Link
Instructor
#11 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 3:51 AM
this games been out 4 years and theres no weather

Here's some Rumors/Speculation about Seasons.
http://simscommunity.info/2017/01/1...te-speculation/
a YouTube Video another Video and This Video.
Instructor
#12 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 4:49 AM
I think moving to Sims 4 from Sims 2 is easier then being a die hard Sims 3 player moving to Sims 4. The $15 price is not a bad deal, tbh; you can play it, try it, and decide if you like it without losing a ton of money.

Personally, I think Sims 4 will appeal to you more then it has for me and will likely have all of the features you are seeking. You likely won't be upset by the loading screens and the gameplay is very much what your used to but with better graphics, controls, personality, interface, and construction features. The create-a-sim and construction is the best in the series here, for sure.

There is modding of careers but it's not like Sims 2. However, the Zerbu career mod pack pretty much lets you hands on play any careers if you have Get to Work installed (I think his mods still function).
Scholar
#13 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 5:22 AM
It's only 15$ holy crap go for it! But you'll miss your babies barfing on you when you play with them!
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 10:59 AM
I agree with spidergirl79, maybe as a player who's pure and untainted by TS3 you actually have a chance to enjoy TS4. If not, you'd have spent $15 on a pretty building tool.

(✿ ❛ ▿ ❛)୨
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#16 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 12:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alrunia
I agree with spidergirl79, maybe as a player who's pure and untainted by TS3 you actually have a chance to enjoy TS4. If not, you'd have spent $15 on a pretty building tool.

I clicked disagree cos apart from a couple of features (movable windows and adjustable roof overhangs) imho TS4 building sucks to use and doesn't even look good

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
#17 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 12:21 PM
I'm still having lots of fun playing sims 2. But I was thinking about taking that $15 chance on Sims 4. The thing is I love my hacks, custom jobs. love my expansions, Apartments, Pets, Universities, and Vacation spots. Does the sims 4 have any of this?? Am I taking a giant leap forward in lots of things but a step back in others?? I'm interested in all opinions so feel free to speak freely.
I think the biggest drawback for me is how tiny the world is in Sims 4, compared to Sims 2. Also, at this point and maybe forever, it feels like it's less able to be customized and modded to the point that I could in Sims 2. But I play both and, recently, when I went back into my Sims 2 game, I was a little bit bored and impatient*. I think I actually was caught up in playing S4. The characters there are beginning to pull me in more and make me miss them when the computer is off. This happened with more expansions, however. The three expansions, while not seeming to deliver gobs of content, actually change the gameplay in ways that matter. And certain game packs, like Parenthood, do the same. I enjoy so many of the interactions and animations. And, despite having been playing this game since it came out, there's still much that I've yet to try in it, so it isn't old yet.

* But, this doesn't mean I'm done with Sims 2. I'm not. I've got a whole medieval converstion thing happening in Veronaville and characters that I care about in my game. I still also regularly visit Sims 1 and get caught up in those stories. Sims 3 gets played on occasion as well.

Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I clicked disagree cos apart from a couple of features (movable windows and adjustable roof overhangs) imho TS4 building sucks to use and doesn't even look good
Since you're a builder, that makes sense. As a non-builder, I appreciate how easy it is to move rooms around and expand walls without having to undo everything. I also love the feature of grabbing a room from the in-game catalogue or from the gallery and instantly adding that to my Sims' home.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 1:05 PM
I never played sims 3 before. But I do love sims 2 and 4. But I cant go back to sims 2 because of no npc aging and no multi-tasking bummer
Scholar
#19 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 4:37 PM
I actually do love TS4 however there are things (interactions, activities) I miss from both series. There are things about TS4 I love so at 15$ I think it's worth a try.

And honestly I hated University so I don't miss that, just me though
Scholar
#20 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 5:22 PM
I can't speak as someone who skipped The Sims 3. I was reluctant with TS3 for a couple of years, but eventually came around to it. But the reason I was able to come around to it was that, unlike The Sims 4, there was a lot new about The Sims 3 versus The Sims 2. Open world, story progression, etc. That gameplay doesn't fit everyone's style, but it certainly is something neat and new to try, and it actually ended fitting my play style perfectly.

Okay, sorry, I'm rambling. What I'm trying to get to is that I don't really think that The Sims 4 is worth it at any price, not even free. The Sims games are an investment. The Sims 4 simply doesn't do a lot to set itself apart. Thus, I think it's best to look past it. It's just too much money to spend (the Expansion Packs you will inevitably "need" someday) on a game that doesn't really do anything revolutionary. I'd love to have TS4's CAS options in my TS3 and TS2 games, but that's really about it.

As nitromon said, it's a trap! Do not fall into the trap unless it's worth it. In TS4's case it isn't.

Quote: Originally posted by Manderz0630
Here's some Rumors/Speculation about Seasons.
http://simscommunity.info/2017/01/1...te-speculation/
a YouTube Video another Video and This Video.

Well ain't that cute? Three years into the game, and all that can be found in relation to Seasons and Weather are "hints".

I got so tired of playing that game with EA. It's such a big, atmosphere changing feature that is as natural as aging and the day/night cycle. To not only leave it out of the base-game but also make simmers wait years and years on end for it is unforgivable.

It is perhaps one of the biggest reasons I'm so glad I don't care about The Sims 4. Because I play only the older games, I always have Seasons now. No waiting around for years playing a boring game of eternal blue skies, sunshine, and greenery.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Scholar
#21 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 5:24 PM
With TS4 being added to EA's Origin Access, I've been vaguely tempted to put down £20 for a year (or if you're in the US, $5 for a month's access) and try it out (along with a good number of other games on offer).

I just don't know about it.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 6:37 PM
Can you move out of the apartments and into a home or anpother world right?? Is there weather??

Not sure about moving part, because I never tested that.
No there is no weaher.
Field Researcher
#23 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 7:29 PM Last edited by thevogel : 16th Jul 2017 at 9:47 PM.
I'm not a fan of TS4... I think it is over priced and boring for what is should be. But, I know you can test it out and play it for yourself... and you should. You might find it entertaining and like some of the features like CAS and the easier building tools.
As a builder myself... I think the building tools are limited and suck out loud.

But it also depends on what kind of Sims player you are. There are many different types... I can tell you right now... if you are a Colony player, a builder, Story teller... you probably will not do well with TS4. Family player...maybe. The Life stages in TS4 need a lot of work. But... if you like to make your sims Party all the time... then this is the game for you.

For your question about moving from an apartment into a home. I think the City Living world has a couple of buildable lots that you could put a house on. Or you can build your own loft apartment on the top floor of one the high rise buildings. I only know this from some of my fellow simmers that have played and given their feed back.

See if you can play the demo... it's really the only way you can see for yourself. I don't know if the demo is still available for people to play....but you can try.
Alchemist
#24 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 9:40 PM
The Sims 4 still doesn't live up to The Sims 2. There are a few aspects in which The Sims 4 does better (multi-tasking, time passes when you visit community lots, a few Ambitions-like careers, CAS is better) but overall The Sims 2 is in my opinion still far above the other games. It would take me ages to go through all the details that makes The Sims 2 fantastic. Imagine playing a The Sims game without burglars, firefighters, proper apartments, a tropical vacation destination, pets, seasons, university etc. There are stores in The Sims 4 as well but they aren't as well developed.

And in The Sims 2 you can create your own neighborhoods! And drive cars! The Sims 4 community is still begging for it.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#25 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 11:18 PM
Op, just be careful that sims 4 will play on your set up, I play sims 2 with 11 gigs of mods and beautiful graphics, sims 4 base game turned my screen into a million tiny coloured shards and one exploding toddler. So beware your wonderful sims 2 set up may not play sims 4.

Luckily I bought it on the last $15 sale except that changes to $30 over here in Australia. I do think it's worth a shot though at that price.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Page 1 of 2