Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 4:46 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 25th Sep 2017 at 7:30 PM.
Default Problem with a roof
Any idea how to resolve the gap? Hope I don't need to rebuild the whole roof for that one trimmed wall.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 5:02 PM
Only see white

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 6:46 PM
Ahh, so It's not my browser being strange. Once I submitted it multiple times, each one turned white. Not sure what's up with that. Gonna try it again.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 6:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Ahh, so It's not my browser being strange. Once I submitted it multiple times, each one turned white. Not sure what's up with that. Gonna try it again.

Try uploading to: http://www.modyourpanties.com/
It's a site just for us Simmers to use on MTS. It has made posting photos so much easier for me.

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 7:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix

The problem is you tried to upload a png - the site only accept jpgs.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 7:30 PM
@maxon, I see.
@SIMelissa Oh thanks. That image sharing might come in handy, instead of having to bloat my imgur album. I might as well attach this picture now there.

Forum Resident
#7 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 8:18 PM
Is there a room under the sloped roof, or just empty roof space?

Can you use constrainfloorelevation to build a short wall (foundation height), then place the sloped roof onto that? It should raise the sloped roof up enough to not interfere with the roof on the right.
Instructor
#8 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 4:08 AM
If you have at least the Pets EP, you can use the individualRoofSlope cheat and adjust the height of just that section of the roof. Click on the roof-building tool, type "individualRoofSlope [number]" and then press Control+Alt and click on that section of the roof to change how tall it is. Default height is 40, I think, so try 25 or 30 and adjust from there. (You can't go lower than 15, max is 75.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 1:47 PM
@inspiriedzone http://www.modyourpanties.com/hosti...32_c6d699a8.jpg Tried your method, but not sure If I'm doing it right or it just basically the wall doesn't want to shrink. I'm trying to level the wall down to the split level fondation (setting up basic foundation just gets sinked down to floor one).

@katalina522 again, doesn't work or I don't know how to do it properly.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 2:23 PM
You're attacking the wrong part. There is no way to put a hipped roof and a shed gable directly adjacent in which they don't interfere with each other. Either get rid of the shed roof, turn the garage roof into a shed, and drag that over till it meets the wall (you'll need to add a smaller roof to cover the last square of the garage) or move the garage over a couple of squares.

If you have M&G you can adjust roof slope so that things line up without a cheat. There's a roof angle tool, with an icon that's a roof with a triangle.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 2:29 PM
Than rebuilding the roof it is. Or not, I'll just replace that empty hole with an half wall and pretend it's an building error with trimmer trimming out of the roof Nontheless, thank you all for the help!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#12 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 8:15 PM
Why not a flat roof on the garage? I think that would fit the style better anyway.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#13 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 8:18 PM
What happens if you extend the roof of the garage a few tiles to fill in the gap?

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#14 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 9:09 AM Last edited by gazania : 28th Sep 2017 at 7:54 AM.
Yup. I'm doing the repost after deletion again. But to be honest, I don't consider myself a lot building expert, and I might be mistaken in my observations.

Where exactly is the split level starting/ending? Right under that shed roof? That might not be helping that gap any.

Peni is also right in that mixing roofs like that can be tricky, particularly with that shed roof.

I always tell my kids there are two ways to encounter an obstacle ... around it or through it.

Around it would be rebuilding sections of the structure. You could follow any suggestions already mentioned here. Something that can help is looking at real-life buildings with attached garages, or checking out real-life building plans. How do they approach it?

Your building a half-wall is an example of going through it. There are a few ways to fudge gaps .... fences, half-walls, backsplash overlays, even Maxis wall hangings and objects. With the two latter options, though, you would need snap_objects, move_objects, shifting up and down and a whole lot of patience to align the stuff just right. However, I'm not quite sure if you will like the look or not, and to be honest, I'm not sure it will work all that well. Let me try to at least do a rough rendition of the building, though I probably won't split-level it, since I have no idea where exactly the split-level is.

EDIT ... Well, I built a house, trying to follow something close to yours, minus any CFE-ing for the split level or anywhere else you could have used it, such as a dummy roof.

The good news ... without any CFE-ing, it wasn't at all hard to connect the shed roof with the other two roofs, though I did get a little bit of shimmering where the roofs connected when I lowered the shed roof slightly to cover a gap on the top, located on the left side. So I am convinced that the CFE is wreaking a bit of mischief. I had a CFE mishap with an earlier version of one of my buildings. No fun when that happens.

The bad news ... that bit about connecting roofs without CFE is probably of no value to you or anyone else. And I am having trouble trying to fill this sort of gap easily using props. The extreme slant of the shed roof at the end is not helping. I knocked out a section near where the gap in the picture was located and used my usual bag of tricks, mentioned above. The half-wall plan already mentioned does work the best of all of them, but it doesn't make for a particularly-nice appearance, though it is probably not going to be as pronounced as in my instance. I would have to agree with others that you might have to just restructure stuff a little. Sorry. It's probably my lack of expertise, but I did give it a go!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.