Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Feb 2013 at 10:59 PM
Default Butterflies/Fireflies in Winter?
I haven't played in a while but recently re-installed all the expansion packs and started playing a new hood.
I've noticed something strange - I have butterflies and fireflies all year round - even in winter, with heavy snow. I could have sworn that this isn't normal. Is this a bug? I have some hacks, but nothing that should affect seasonal things. Anyone had this problem?
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 10th Feb 2013 at 11:14 PM
Did you patch?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Feb 2013 at 11:41 PM
As far as I know, I patched every EP right after installing each
Instructor
#4 Old 11th Feb 2013 at 8:58 AM
Well I could have sworn its normal. Maxis incompetence. Like the rosebushes with flower in the winter, oh yes its covered in snow alright....but flowers? In "january". Right.
Its not a bug. Trust me. I have grumbled about this long before I discovered something called downloads. (Really amazing stuffs Im telling you!)
And the ladybug house for the garden. Sure. Ladybugs fly around in snowstorms all the time. In maxisland.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Feb 2013 at 10:07 AM
It would be good if it's just a Maxis bug.
(I just noticed the Sims 2 site is gone... eh, now I can't even check the list of bugs that each patch fixes :/ )
Mad Poster
#6 Old 11th Feb 2013 at 4:50 PM
MTS is now hosting the patches here, and the patch notes are included for each.

That said, I think Gulhare is right, and that the presence of butterflies and fireflies year round is just an oversight. Happens in my game too, although they seem to be more common in the warmer seasons than in the colder ones.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 11th Feb 2013 at 6:57 PM
Thanks for the info, Darby
Mad Poster
#8 Old 11th Feb 2013 at 7:02 PM
You're welcome.

We really need a "you're welcome" button, I think. I'd rather not post just to say that, and I usually don't, but it feels rude not to acknowledge a "thank you" somehow.
Test Subject
#9 Old 11th Feb 2013 at 7:35 PM
I't in my game also I don't worry about it.
#10 Old 12th Feb 2013 at 9:03 PM
In my game butterflies and fireflies only appear in the summer/spring
Scholar
#11 Old 12th Feb 2013 at 10:01 PM
Butterflies and fireflies occur all seasons if the temperature is high enough in my game. Never seen them if it's cold enough to snow, but occasionally I see them in the last hours before the snow melts. I assume this is Maxis replicating those occasions where wildlife in real life gets confused and starts doing things in the wrong season. Sometimes, if there's a "warm snap" in the middle of a bitter season, nature does mistake it for spring, with early spring flowers budding and animals exiting hibernation for more than a quick retrieval of food from stores. This all ends when the cold weather comes back, but in The Sims 2, temperatures take rather long to fall again than real life does.

Still seems really strange when it happens (on the computer or in real life).
Test Subject
#12 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 9:34 AM
It doesn't seem normal.. but it sure sounds cool! I want butterflies in the winter!! :D
Scholar
#13 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 8:44 PM
A while back sims that my playable would invite over sat all night in the snow , playing Don't Wake the Llama...... Did that during rain, as well.
I have all the exp. and stuff packs and everything is patched.
Really funny to see. When they finally got pooped out, they'd leave; in perfect health.
Now with Pescado's wonderful DC hacks ; no one stays that long anymore. ( I mean, really...who do you invite who stays playing your games for 2 days straight in RL ? )

" Inama Nushif "
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 8th Mar 2013 at 1:26 AM
I can't believe I never thought about that. Many of my characters are nature hobbies too! I always look out the window and see the butterflies hovering around. Never stopped and thought, "It's winter! Why are they out here?" Derp.

Marebear<3333
Test Subject
#15 Old 10th Mar 2013 at 5:57 AM
Haven't seen this yet but will keep a look out for it
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 10th Mar 2013 at 6:23 AM
I sometimes have butterflies in winter; but I think only when a witch has been responsible for it.
Scholar
#17 Old 10th Mar 2013 at 10:45 AM
In my games, not only butterflies happen in winter but sometimes winter is almost over and it still hasn't snowed at least once, to the point I have to use an aspiration reward that makes weather, so that my Simmies can build their snowmen. All patches installed and no mods that interfere with weather.