Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Mar 2016 at 4:45 PM
Some questions for more experienced TS2 builders...

Turns out building in Sims 2 is still entertaining, even without CC, even without CAST (which I still DO sorely miss in other games). All in all, I really had fun.

The problems occured with the third, the biggest lot I built- Sports & Recreation center. I have three questions for now:

• 1) I used a lot of CFE there, for curved roofing mainly, but now I begin to wonder should I had used a different style of sport buildings. Not only does my roof let the weather in (so I will probably have to use invisible flooring or something like that), but much bigger problem is that from a ceiling point of view - it is plain ugly:

Maybe I did something wrong with CFE cheat, I don't know. Any ideas how could I fix this?

• 2) Is there any way to paint/color the edge of a tile? I'm talking about that area that represents the thickness of a floor or wall.

• 3) I have no idea how the same fencing with the same color theme turned out differently on two different sides of a roof. I marked the option I would prefer to keep, down on the pictures. If anyone knows how to fix the other side, I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#2 Old 15th Mar 2016 at 5:07 PM
Just wanna add more pictures of the lot, to not think everything is that awful.

The lot I'm asking help for is meant to be Sports & Recreation Center. I made it for my own needs, and tried to include all sport, fitness and recreation objects. It has roller skating, ice skating, pool, showers and locker rooms, gym, football/soccer field, basketball court, decorative clay tennis court, bowling alley with billiards and darts. And fast food. I needed it to be light on NPCs/employees. The lot is 50x60, it has no CC, so don't be too harsh. .
Mad Poster
#3 Old 15th Mar 2016 at 6:07 PM
First off, this is a really great lot, especially if you haven't done much building in TS2 for a long time! As to the three things you bring up, here goes-

1. Unfortunately, that's what CFE work looks like from the bottom if you leave the floor tiles there. You can hide it or you can ignore it, but so far as I'm aware, there's no real way to get rid of that effect. I think the CFE adds a lot to the view from the exterior though, so I'd absolutely say keep it, and find some way to address the problem inside (or just ignore it- you don't usually spend much time looking up at the ceilings in-game! )

2. There are a few different CC-solutions to the tile edges, but if you're just building with EAxis content (good for you! ), unfortunately it's always the same brown edging... once again, the best way to address it is to cover it up. In some cases, railings will do the trick, in others, you may want to use some of the Architectural tab elements to hide it. (IIRC, the crown moldings can be raised high enough to disguise otherwise-exposed edges)

3. This is the kind of strange thing that happens from CFE work sometimes, but I'm kind of puzzled as to why it's appearing on the edge of a level tile... I'm afraid all I have are obvious solutions that you've probably already tried- I assume you've already tried re-placing that particular row of fencing? For lighting issues like that, sometimes switching from day to night and back will also "reset" the element too. Sorry not to be more help here!

Overall though, I think this is a fantastic lot- leaps and bounds ahead of any of the sports lots that shipped with the game, and certainly better than my own attempts at making athletic centers! I don't know if you're planning on uploading this lot for others to use, but I'd strongly encourage you to! It's gorgeous, and you've come up with lots of brilliant ways to make it a more immersive lot for players! (I particularly love things like the JumboTron, the tennis court, and the stadium effect you have with several of the playing fields! I've tried that before myself, and I think you've managed to get a much better feel than I ever did there!)

Seriously- this is a great lot, and I really hope you're planning to upload it once it's finished finished!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Theorist
#4 Old 15th Mar 2016 at 11:09 PM
It is cool. Much better than I could have done. I didn't notice anything wrong with the ceilings. Had no idea what was wrong with them as they looked fine to me. (No, please don't point it out cuz if you do upload then I'd rather stay ignorant and just enjoy it as is :D). The two different colors of the same thing, could that maybe have to do with shadows bein that they're on opposite sides of the wall? The tennis court is pure genius. I was like "someone made a tennis court, but no wait they said it was all no CC, so ... ohhh I see what they did".

I noticed two things:
1) Can a sim use the ballet bar at the same time while someone is using the punchin bag? They look a bit close.
2) If you do mean to upload it, and I hope you do, do you have a clean unused copy of the lot? I saw a couple of the pictures had a sim icon in the top corner which generally indicates a sim on the lot. If not, maybe @Jawusa can help you to clean out any sim references.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 16th Mar 2016 at 12:44 AM
Really nice, and as Zar said, you have unfortunately run into some of the bug bears of us sims 2 builders. CC can hide the edge and a CC edging fence might show up differently or it might not, a lot of that is to do with the shadow and lighting, or sometimes it can be which way you draw the fence. So if you draw it out from left to right you could try drawing from right to left. It may not change though. The triangles in the roof is one reason I do not use CFE very much. It literally breaks the tile into those shapes since this game cannot actually bend things. You are breaking them into those small diamonds to give the appearance of a bend. Turning off the ceiling is all you can do.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#6 Old 16th Mar 2016 at 10:55 AM
I am not that experienced - but - the lot is great.

The ceiling - does not bother me and if it should, the view can be turned off while playing (but I kind of like the triangles - and, as CaliBrat says, they look fine to me too).

I assume it is a community lot and tested, so it should be okay to upload anyway - they are supposed to reset when Sims leaves?

The tile edge - nothing to be done there except to get a default replacement (but then it is cc). I would not worry too much about that, since plenty of players are using default replacements and it will look the way they like it to look in their games.

Agree with Calibrat about the ballet bar and punching bag - they might be too close together but it could only be the pic view - if you want to upload (and I think you should!) everything should be playable.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 16th Mar 2016 at 11:12 AM
You don't need a default replacement, there is a perfectly good cc edge piece by 4ESF that people can put on if they want to. I put it on a couple of my uploads and gave a link.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#8 Old 16th Mar 2016 at 11:39 AM
Thanks, Jo - that is another option then, so the OP still does not have to worry about the floor edges Going to see if I can find that edge piece now. Edit - found it, with recolors! Ooooh, more floor edges than just the default one (which is out of the game due the building contest anyway).
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#9 Old 16th Mar 2016 at 3:17 PM
That lot is amazing - well done!

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 16th Mar 2016 at 11:31 PM Last edited by Karen Lorraine : 19th Mar 2016 at 11:35 PM.
First of all, thank you all for such encouraging comments. I'm very pleased you all liked the lot so much. :lovestruc I followed the thread carefully, but was very busy so couldn't respond earlier. I literally had a flood in my apartment. My whole kitchen was covered with gross dirty liquids spouting out of sink pipes. All my vertical neighbors in the building had problems, we had plumbers working whole day. Horror, really, I hardly had time to check the site, let alone play the game and work on the lot. One of these days I'll find time to address the issues I mentioned, and your help will be properly appreciated.

About uploading. I've been playing the Sims for years now and my games have benefited greatly from all you amazing creators! But, honestly, I never intended to upload any of my stuff. Not that I'm selfish , there are other reasons. I'm more of a casual on-and-off player, sometimes I don't check in with the community for months. I'm also not very responsible, and I'm very lazy. Just thinking about writing upload description and being available for possible bugs and problems of the downloaders, gives me headache. Also, to be completely honest, I'm very self-critical. I'm never too amazed by my own creations, I never even consider the possibility that it is something other simmers would want. Even I somehow outgrow them fast. It often happens that something I built few months ago suddenly stops looking good to me (or even acceptable). Maybe this sounds odd to all of you, but that trait is actually very common to people with hypersensitive personalities, prone to anxiety and depression.

Anyway, I'll upload the file of the existing state of the lot here, if someone really wants it. If that's not by the rules, and moderators object, maybe I'll make an exception and eventually go through the upload process. I put two files. One CC free, but consider the curved roofs practically useless, since they don't keep the weather out. The other file contains one mod - invisible floor by Muse - put one level under the curved tiles, to keep the weather out.
Banned
#11 Old 16th Mar 2016 at 11:35 PM
friend but how to down it but I like it
m will help
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 16th Mar 2016 at 11:48 PM
^ Um, I'm not sure what you asked, but if you asked how to download the test working version of this lot, just click here:

Screenshots
Banned
#13 Old 17th Mar 2016 at 12:09 AM
thanks that it helped download it for
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 17th Mar 2016 at 1:22 AM
Please do upload it to the site, you are a wonderful builder. Far better control over CFE than I have for sure.

~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#15 Old 17th Mar 2016 at 9:00 AM
I'll test it for you, but I second Jo in sayin you're an awesome builder and think you should really consider uploadin it.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 17th Mar 2016 at 12:07 PM
Agree from me as well
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#17 Old 20th Mar 2016 at 12:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MystAngel
First of all, thank you all for such encouraging comments. I'm very pleased you all liked the lot so much. :lovestruc I followed the thread carefully, but was very busy so couldn't respond earlier. I literally had a flood in my apartment. My whole kitchen was covered with gross dirty liquids spouting out of sink pipes. All my vertical neighbors in the building had problems, we had plumbers working whole day. Horror, really, I hardly had time to check the site, let alone play the game and work on the lot. One of these days I'll find time to address the issues I mentioned, and your help will be properly appreciated.

About uploading. I've been playing the Sims for years now and my games have benefited greatly from all you amazing creators! But, honestly, I never intended to upload any of my stuff. Not that I'm selfish , there are other reasons. I'm more of a casual on-and-off player, sometimes I don't check in with the community for months. I'm also not very responsible, and I'm very lazy. Just thinking about writing upload description and being available for possible bugs and problems of the downloaders, gives me headache. Also, to be completely honest, I'm very self-critical. I'm never too amazed by my own creations, I never even consider the possibility that it is something other simmers would want. Even I somehow outgrow them fast. It often happens that something I built few months ago suddenly stops looking good to me (or even acceptable). Maybe this sounds odd to all of you, but that trait is actually very common to people with hypersensitive personalities, prone to anxiety and depression.

Anyway, I'll upload the file of the existing state of the lot here, if someone really wants it. If that's not by the rules, and moderators object, maybe I'll make an exception and eventually go through the upload process. I put two files. One CC free, but consider the curved roofs practically useless, since they don't keep the weather out. The other file contains one mod - invisible floor by Muse - put one level under the curved tiles, to keep the weather out.
Please do not share your upload here! If you want to share it you must upload it in the proper manner via the upload wizard.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 20th Mar 2016 at 1:08 AM
^
OK, that's good to know. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, maybe I should've messaged one of you mods before I attached the file. Beginner's mistake.
I'll upload it to the site then, when I finish everything, because I had requests and because the community has already given so much to me..

Unfortunately, I still didn't succeed in correcting any of the issues I mentioned it my first post. I kind of learned to tolerate the floor edges. At least on this lot (so I probably won't use CC for that). I deliberately used the colors of beige and brown around it, so it won't be too noticeable (except on the white skating building). I came from TS3, where you can color that area, otherwise it probably wouldn't even bother me. For the ugly ceiling, as you all have already enlightened me, there apparently is no cure. The only thing I can do is to not look at it, and use this mod I found, to weatherproof the building. Regarding the fencing on the roof, I tried your advises (replacing, changing directions, checking shadows and lighting etc), but nothing worked. I'll try some more.

Thanks everyone for your help and kind words.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19 Old 20th Mar 2016 at 1:13 AM
But those are not issues as such, that is just what sims 2 does. Every lot with CFE has triangles, the one i just uploaded does. You can't fix it.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 20th Mar 2016 at 1:19 AM
Yeah, I understood. What I'm still trying to fix is the fencing on the roof (number 3).

Btw, is there a fix for rugs mysteriously refusing to be placed off grid?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#21 Old 20th Mar 2016 at 1:54 AM
Yes there is a fix for that. http://modthesims.info/d/399650 Doesn't work for them all since some go dark.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 20th Mar 2016 at 2:33 AM
Wow, thank you for this! I have to browse TS2 download section in detail, since I definitely plan to stay here for a while.

To answer this:

Quote: Originally posted by CaliBrat
1) Can a sim use the ballet bar at the same time while someone is using the punchin bag? They look a bit close.
2) If you do mean to upload it, and I hope you do, do you have a clean unused copy of the lot? I saw a couple of the pictures had a sim icon in the top corner which generally indicates a sim on the lot. If not, maybe @Jawusa can help you to clean out any sim references.

1) Yes, they can. They're close, but they can squeeze.

If you, CaliBrat or someone else maybe managed to download the file and test it before it was removed, or notice something else on the screenshots that looks suspicious, be free to say. Accessibility of functional objects is important to me, although I always tend to clutter things and don't leave too much of free space.

2) No, I don't. Like I said, I didn't initially plan to upload anything. Guess I'll have to learn how to do that.
Screenshots
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#23 Old 20th Mar 2016 at 4:35 AM
You are allowed to put a file up here for testing, only it needs to be clear that you are asking for testers and plan to upload it properly once testing is done.

~Call me Jo~
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#24 Old 20th Mar 2016 at 7:50 PM
This is a really well crafted lot. I'd recommend that you upload it when it's finished. At the top of the page, click Create and under Creator forums, click the upload items link, then follow the instructions. We look forward to seeing it here. When you upload it, credit the CC you used from other creators with a link to their stuff so people can see what other goodies they may have.

Technical info/comments:
It will rain through your CFE roof. Sorry, no way around that unless you build an invisible roof underneath it that is flat. It may still leak. Seasons is like that.
To hide the end pieces use a roof trim or other object to hide it.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#25 Old 20th Mar 2016 at 8:55 PM
Thanks, porkypine. Yes, I became aware of the leaking, but, of course, AFTER I was done building, when was too late to go back.
I will use the Invisible floor tile by moonlight_muse, and credit her, of course.

Just a quick question for those of you who have experience with that "cleaning out sims references"... am I doing this right?

Screenshots
Page 1 of 2