Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Aug 2018 at 7:00 PM
Default Changing the language?
I know it's possible in TS2, I've done that, but is it possible in TS1? I'd love to improve a foreign language while playing
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 2nd Aug 2018 at 9:25 PM
This requires a registry edit.
From my notes:

Quote:
The language keys for Sims 1 are in: hkey_local+machine\software\wow6432node\maxis\the sims
"Language", "SIMS_LANGUAGE" and "SIMS_OTHERLANGUAGE".

I have changed from US to UK English successfully:
English_United_States 409
English_United_Kingdom 809

Check this list for other language codes to try:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-domain-control

Bear in mind that some adverse effects may occur when you change language:
https://web.archive.org/web/2012062...ge-named-randy/

Also, not all languages may be supported- the folder names in [install location]\Maxis\The Sims\support\EA HELP should be indicative of which are supported by your version.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 4:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
I have changed from US to UK English successfully:

Is there a notable difference between the UK and US game? (At least on the pre-Hot Date versions) the US English game always seemed to be the most "complete" of all considering it's had a unique neighborhood design (with different streets mainly) with the original soundtrack from the neighborhood folder and it's supposedly the only one that'd display the 100-day trivia easter egg?

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 7:36 AM
No, apart from those differences with the road that you noticed (I don't know about the music or the 100 day thing). I only changed it as I had the Randy/Luna bug when copying a save between installs on different computers.
Theorist
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 2:28 PM
That's too bad, apparently languages I want aren't supported. I'm studying Chinese and Japanese. I can see only European languages in Support folder.

Where do you even get another regional version of this game? Is it sold anywhere and how can I tell that this is a version I need and not another European version?
Field Researcher
#6 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 3:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Babahara
That's too bad, apparently languages I want aren't supported. I'm studying Chinese and Japanese. I can see only European languages in Support folder.

Where do you even get another regional version of this game? Is it sold anywhere and how can I tell that this is a version I need and not another European version?

You mean that changing the register did not change the language of your game? Actually that makes sense, I heard that Japan (or Asia) had some differences in their version of the game, like some premade sims look different if I recall correctly. Even if you get another regional version, I'm not sure your computer could even handle it because of region locks.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 4:53 PM
Hey!
I made a quick test here, changing the language straight to Japanese, on Windows register editor and it's worked!! And, see, all the languages said to be supported on the CD's Autorun were the ones from European countries... Who can figure, eh?

OBS: As, in this case, we're nothing but exchanging languages, don't expect the "native Japanese pre-made families" to be put into the game, ok? Everything one's getting is the game they've known before the language change but with the non-US Neighborhood layout, a different font, some little differences on the shape of the User Interface and the curious original name SIMPEOPLE! It is possible to imagine that some of the object names/descriptions are at least a bit different from the ones in English but then it is your task to show it to us )

If the game can't find a translation, it'll always display its English/Original equivalent! We have got the first 2 expansion packs and It was noticed that our Sims right here on our PC had available Japanese translations for the base game and Livin' Large, then everything that has something to do with House Party's obviously displayed in English

You definitely should try to do it. Been playing around with these register info since the very beginning and no major mess's happened due to a supposed attempt of accessing a language that the game can't read, you know? But, just in case, make sure to remember what was the language "code" that has been configured before you changed it to Japanese or whatever (if you're playing in English, it's either UKEnglish or USEnglish)

Have fun!
Theorist
Original Poster
#8 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 8:07 PM Last edited by Babahara : 8th Aug 2018 at 8:32 PM.
@LUCPIX, I've managed to change the language to Japanese, but no matter what I do, I can't launch it in Chinese.

I think I just don't know the letter code for it or where to get it. With Japanese it's easy, you just write "Japanese" into your SIMS_LANGUAGE entry, but what should I try writing if I want Chinese? Simply typing in "Chinese" doesn't work, so I tried "TWChinese", "TW_Chinese" for traditional Chinese (like there's USEnglish and UKEnglish), then "zh_tw", "Complex_Chinese", "ComplexChinese", but the game just launches in English. Any idea where I could learn the letter code? I can't arrive at it by guessing.

I've changed the number code, but it doesn't work by itself. Or maybe the code is wrong, I use 404 for Chinese_Taiwan, b\c that's how they usually designate the traditional Chinese. Chinese_PRC is for simplified Chinese, and afaik Sims4 has only been translated into traditional, so my bets are on traditional. I tried simplified, too, just in case, but it doesn't work, either.

I tried to delete SIMS_LANGUAGE parameter entirely, in hope that it autogenerates it. But it doesn't, it just launches the game in English, no matter which number code you've put in. Even if I use, say, Japanese. So for TS1 the number isn't actually important, it's the text string SIMS_LANGUAGE that defines the language of the game.
Theorist
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 8:55 PM
YES, I'VE CHANGED THE LANGUAGE TO CHINESE!!! I'll just leave that post for historical purposes.

Basically, I was lucky to guess correctly. The text string should read "TraditionalChinese" or "SimplifiedChinese", and that's it!

Btw, the number code really isn't important. My game is in Chinese now, even though the language number is still for Japanese.

Now I have another question to you, fellow sim fans: is it possible to launch two instances of the game at once? If it is, that would be very comfortable. Playing in Chinese with translation at hand