Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Feb 2017 at 6:01 AM Last edited by LawlessStarling21 : 21st Feb 2017 at 9:20 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default SimPE not letting me change anything (fixed)
SimPE wont let me change anything.
What i mean by that is that, while in SimPE, I have to open my neighborhood file from its package file directly. not that big of a deal for me because it is easy to find.
What i want to do is change a specific sim's relationships and family ties with the other sims on the lot.
So far the only thing ive been able to actually do in SimPE is change a sim's skin tone using the Sim Surgery function.
Ive tried to open a specific sim's file through SimPE, but when it is supposed to either open the file or load the file, nothing happens. no loading, nothing. Ive waited for a LONG time just to see if secretly it was loading, but nothing changed.
Ive poked around and on the main page (my hood is opened in SimPE and is showing the details) I can see the resource tree. "Family Ties" it says. I click on it, nothing happens. I right click on it, nothing. I double click on it, Nothing. The only things ive been able to do has been through the 'tools' tab, which is very limited.

I have no clue how to use SimPE in the first place, Ive tried to find a tutorial, but everything says to click on whatever you need. Am I just doing something wrong or in the wrong order?
Ive tried reinstalling SimPE, but i have the latest version, and theres nothing to change.
Any help would be great,
Thank you.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 21st Feb 2017 at 7:17 AM
Version SimPE 0.73.44 for everyone?

No, it's not meant to act like that.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#3 Old 21st Feb 2017 at 9:06 AM
You can click on the hood tree list too quickly in my experience - and it appears to stop the hood fully loading

Open the hood from the menu (Tools -> 'hood etc)
WAIT, do not click anything
The tree will load
IF you click the Sim Description entry immediately it will be empty, so WAIT, do not click anything.
Watch the status bar bottom left, it will fill up, then empty, then fill up again - basically wait for it to stop twitching, then wait a little bit longer to see if it starts again. Wait for it to finish the several tasks it has to do.
Now you can click the Sim Description and other entries.

Just call me William, definitely not Who-Ward
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 21st Feb 2017 at 10:09 AM
They already waited.

Quote:
Ive waited for a LONG time just to see if secretly it was loading, but nothing changed.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#5 Old 21st Feb 2017 at 11:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
They already waited.

Depends when they waited. Click onto the tree and then wait, you can wait for eternity. Wait for the status bar to stop twitching and then click, and it'll work

Just call me William, definitely not Who-Ward
Scholar
#6 Old 21st Feb 2017 at 11:15 AM
Is the file read only?

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#7 Old 21st Feb 2017 at 5:41 PM
One way to avoid the problem with interrupting the resources loading with SimPE is to go into Object Workshop as the first thing you do when you load the programme. Then press the Start button and wait till the programme loads all resources - you get a list. At that point you can start working with stuff. Doing this loads a lot of information into memory and can help prevent the programme hanging. Similarly, when you load a neighbourhood from the neighbourhood browser (or, indeed, directly from the file), make sure you let the programme load all the resources before you click on anything else again. Clicking on stuff before the programme has finished loading can cause it to hang. It's an old issue with SimPE.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st Feb 2017 at 7:29 PM
@maxon @Kankritty @whoward69 @Joandsarah77

I DID wait until the hood was finished loading before I clicked anything. That was what i meant by "waited a LONG time."

My question is: After the hood has loaded, where do i go next? Do I simply click on what I want from the resource tree, or do i get there a different way?
I have tried simply clicking, and that has done nothing. That is my problem and confusion.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 21st Feb 2017 at 7:41 PM
Click again on Tools, then Neighborhood, then sim browser. Then wait for it to load.
Another window should pop up, letting you choose that one sim you wish to edit. Select that sim, and click Done.
After you are done editing that sim, do not forget to click commit, and then save.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 21st Feb 2017 at 8:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
Click again on Tools, then Neighborhood, then sim browser. Then wait for it to load.
Another window should pop up, letting you choose that one sim you wish to edit. Select that sim, and click Done.
After you are done editing that sim, do not forget to click commit, and then save.

There was no "Done" button, so I clicked the only button that was there, which was Open. after that nothing happened. I clicked on details, but it only showed the hood details, I clicked on the resource tab, and in the drop-down menu found sim relations, but that didnt do anything either. I tried opening a random character package file in the object workshop, but that only let me either clone or recolor it, so i stopped. i tried again clicking on family ties from the resource tree on the left hand side of the screen, but it still doesnt do anything. Im going to start the program as admin to see if that is the problem.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 21st Feb 2017 at 8:59 PM
Sorry! Open, yes..not Done. silly me.
This is very weird what you are experiencing, I admit.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 21st Feb 2017 at 9:04 PM
So i opened the program as admin, even set it to always open like that, but it didnt change anything

Edit: So i looked up a SimPE tutorial, and it showed what the window is SUPPOSED to look like when clicking on family ties in the resource tree, and i realized that the window to the right of the resource tree, above the part with the details and stuff for the packages isnt showing anything. does that help at all?

Edit 2: Is there a window that needs to be opened and placed there?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 21st Feb 2017 at 9:15 PM
Alrighty so i fixed it. I went into the preferences, and SimPE settings, and reset the layout. turns out I was right about a window not being opened. Thankfully it reset and now i have the main window, I shall test it to see if i can do what i need to now. Thank you all for your help.

Edit: I had a problem with not being able to see certain options with check boxes beside them, and i fixed it, this is how if someone needs to know: I went into preferences and changes the theme from office 2013 (might be a different year) to something else, it automatically changes it, so test out different ones if it doesnt fix it for you
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#14 Old 21st Feb 2017 at 9:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LawlessStarling21
@maxon @Kankritty @whoward69 @Joandsarah77

I DID wait until the hood was finished loading before I clicked anything. That was what i meant by "waited a LONG time."

My question is: After the hood has loaded, where do i go next? Do I simply click on what I want from the resource tree, or do i get there a different way?
I have tried simply clicking, and that has done nothing. That is my problem and confusion.

You've misunderstood my post. I suggested letting the programme load resources via the Objects Workshop BEFORE you do anything at all with the neighbourhoods.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 21st Feb 2017 at 9:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
You've misunderstood my post. I suggested letting the programme load resources via the Objects Workshop BEFORE you do anything at all with the neighbourhoods.

Ah, sorry about that then.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 21st Feb 2017 at 9:41 PM
Oh...and another thing we did not think about telling you...you said you could only see details of the neighborhood, when you click on details...
At bottom left window, look for Plugin View! Click that. And remember, whenever you think you should see something but nothing shows up..= Plugin View.
As for the theme, I use Glossy.