Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#76 Old 15th Feb 2017 at 2:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CaliBrat
All the mods that allow the toddler to do stuff themselves are nice and do exactly what they're made to do ... take the parents outta the equation. To me, that's not really better as then you loose out on that parent/ child interaction that creates a lasting bond (both in rl and in game). I do admit that sometimes those things are nice and very handy, but just like in rl if you need a break call someone to baby sit and give yourself a day out.

As I said above I enjoy all the stages and like each one for what they represent. When you try and rush through them or mod them out you miss out on a lot of the game imo. Takin it slow and givin yourself time with each stage is the best mod their is.

@Samppuli .. you have received a lot of advice for a full variety of game play. Find what suits you best and when ya do, if ya feel like it that is, you can update us as which way you found was best for you and your play style.

Yes, i'm very pleasantly surprised that so many people rushed in to help me, and they all gave me some nice tips! I think the best solution was to expand toddlers lifespan and just let the parents take care of their little one and shrug off to work for a while, because even though my inner perfectionist is screaming, it will be very enjoyable to see toddlers just being toddlers and bonding with their parents. :lovestruc
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#77 Old 15th Feb 2017 at 2:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
Going to admit right off the bat I'm too lazy to read through all the replies, so my apologies to anyone who may have already said the things I'm going to say.

I saw you said your parents are always at the edge of starvation, and I've had that situation myself. A while back I decided I wanted to run a farm that would supply my hood with crops, and I love college and I love kids, so for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to make two YA's buy the farm (using mods to allow them to be YAs and study from main hood) and adopt two toddlers so they'd have a family and later on the kids could help with the farm. These were straight out of CAS Sims, with two toddlers to take care of, a huge farm to run and had to get through college too. It was fun, but yeah, starvation was an ever present threat for the first few weeks of their life. As I was playing them, I realized I had no idea what food to give them because I'd never been in a situation where every minute was precious and a Sim really needed to get as full as possible from their meals. I knew cooking skill, fridge and appliances affect how filling the meal is, but I didn't know how what the meals themselves had as base value. So I created food saturation spreadsheet, an excel spreadsheet that you can use to determine which meal is the most filling. I tried to set it up so you could easily find the best option in whatever circumstance your Sim is in. For example, Sim has cooking level 3 and it's lunch time, you check lunch time and cooking 3 column and see what is the most filling. Having that information really helped me with the farm, and I figured you might find it useful too.

As for mods to make it easier, I think Inge's toddlers sleep through the night mod is essential. I know real life babies and toddlers might not sleep through the night, but real life parents don't take 40 minutes to go to the bathroom and 10-20 to walk out of their house to the car. I'm willing to cut my Sims some slack because of these unrealistic aspects of their time management-abilities. Taking care of toddlers/babies gets a lot easier when you can put them to bed and put them out of your mind until the morning.

All my babies and toddlers are on a routine which means I always know what need should be taken care of by looking at the clock. I also know toddlers are happy and maxed out on needs between 9-10am and noon, and 5pm and 9pm, which gives the parents plenty of hours to teach them things. And since I know in advance when it is, I can figure out work times and make sure their needs are good enough to spend a few hours on the toddler. It's been a while since I played a household with a toddler though, so I want to double-check a few things before I list how I do it. iCad is the pro though, she's the one that inspired me to do it. It rather relies on Inge's mod though, so if you are unwilling to get it it'll be harder to get them on a routine.

I'd like to have a little challenge like that, i just don't have Seasons it would be very fun, i just need to get rid of social worker somehow

And those mods really helps me, especially the ones for toddlers! And i don't think i'm gonna have any routines, because it kinda takes out the fun in raising toddlers, if there is any fun in it to begin with! But great tips, maybe the baby/toddler time won't be just a nightmare i have to go through to see them grow up into beautiful adults :D
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#78 Old 15th Feb 2017 at 9:42 PM
See my siggy, 'why I love toddlers' click that then you will see all the things myself and others love about toddlers. Many of these things you probably have not yet seen.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#79 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 1:48 AM
I'm wondering if I have cheats somewhere in my game that make toddlers easier, because I hardly have to pay attention to them at all. XD I suspect that it might be because I like pets. The cat bed makes a lovely cosy toddler bed too and I can turn a blind eye to eating cat food too when I don't want to have to feed the toddler right now. XD The only problem can be a hungry cat 'cause the toddler ate all her food. I'm starting to think that it's a good thing that I don't have children in RL lol.
Alchemist
#80 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 4:26 PM
The OP only has the first two EPs which makes a big difference. A lot of the things people use to make the process go smoothly, like pet beds, stocking up on leftovers, pet food, the FreeTime perks etc. aren't available to them.
Mad Poster
#81 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 6:02 PM
Mad Poster
#82 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 7:14 PM
Won't help if the system's not strong enough, or OP is the sort of person who needs to add in EPs one at a time and master the game in increments. But if Andrew Gloria can deal with Newson clones with only Double Deluxe and OFB, someone with only the first two EPs can deal with normal families.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Alchemist
#83 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 8:51 PM Last edited by omglo : 16th Feb 2017 at 9:14 PM.
Andrew's little Sims literally have months to learn their toddler skills though. It's totally possible to teach all the skills in the default four day window, while keeping the parents' careers on track but it'll be a challenge.
Mad Poster
#84 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 9:06 PM
Look, it is difficult at first to raise kids, especially twins - I remember having a hard time in my beginning days as well. And, of course, one of my first CAS families were a lot worse than the Ottomas, who only came around later. One has to remember, though, that the game was also meant to be challenging - it is very clear in the vanilla game. A player has to deal with those challenges - and, personally, I have tried a number of mods over the past five or six years, and most have been booted fairly quickly because everything is just too damn easy. (I know there are mods to make life harder for Sims as well, but, trust me, my sims have lives that are hard enough for me).
The main thing is not to go into a panic because one cannot get every Sim to do everything at once. Pause button For me, personally, the needs and wants of the parents take priority, simply because they are better at parenting when they are happier. (That is why I have them bathe and play with the toddlers when they are rested. It will take longer for the kid to become dirty again anyway).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#85 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 9:18 PM
Even vanilla isn't that hard if you use everything the game has to offer in the way of tricks. I can train a toddler in one day, two tops. I know every trick and I use them which is why I added some rules so some sims can't use all of them.

Date for parents at home just before the baby ages. They will then be plat. Time spent worrying is wasted time.
Smart milk for the toddler and thinking cap for the parent. This makes training go a lot faster. Which is another reason for that date so they have the points and the good mood to use them.
To potty train click off 'potty train' on the parents queue as soon as they pat the toddler head, they are then free to go sleep, eat, potty train a twin, do whatever.
Autumn also makes skilling faster with that I have trained them through the first night before they have even aged a day.
All need perks ticked for everybody. I am still surprised to see people not ticking all those need perks of more energy, lower fun drain etc.
Use coffee if you don't want those skilling wants on the parents to roll away.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#86 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 9:39 PM
And there is always another way: choose a relaxed parenting style.

Make sure toddlers don't starve, put them to sleep when they are exhausted, play peck-a-boo when bored (good for both child and parents, as they often have a low fun bar in my game), and pretty much let them be the rest of the time.
Working parents usually don't have much more time, and their children don't get potty trained nor taught to talk/walk. I simply assume they'll learn at they own pace, as nature intendend, and in fact all my Sims have learnt to pee in the toilet by the time the become children, nothing to worry about XD
If any of the parents (or grandparents or other relative) stays at home, they may prefer to teach the toddler. That's just fine too, and they may get some extra aspiration points.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#87 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 9:47 PM
The OP didn't sound relaxed though, they wanted help. Actually getting the training out of the way is relaxing once it's done. I then have 6-7 days of nothing to think about with that toddler. It's the best time of life in between toddler training and school. They can play with them, bath them, go places like the park, whatever they want to do. For those toddlers who don't learn to potty train because of my rules, they do have something to worry about, bed wetting. I've yet to see the mod in action, which is why I added the rules.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#88 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 9:52 PM
Yes, Jo, it can be done - but it also takes time to learn all the tricks, and I am for the relaxed parenting style myself. If there are enough Sims in the family, they may take turns to try to teach the toddler these skills - but they would, in my game, rather play with the toddler, take him or her (or, more normal in my game, them) out in the garden where they can chase butterflies or play in the snow. Or all dance at the stereo Also, playing without a longer age mod (I used to, but I don't anymore) means that a player has to choose between what is the best for the player (I mean the toddler, the toddler!!!)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#89 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 10:21 PM
The game setting of 4 days is not relaxed though, toddlerhood is over in a flash and most new players do stress over getting those skills done in time. I highly recommend a longer aging mod or to turn aging off.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#90 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 11:01 PM
Aging off is a great tool in the vanilla game as well - I have used it very often myself (although not quite as intense as Andrew does ).
As for the toddlers - if my game did not produce quite as many twins, perhaps I'd have kept trying to teach them all the skills. And some of them do get taught, if there is time and somebody who wants to teach them - it just does not dictate my way of playing. Because it is easier, and I actually find it more fun.
I do like to see my Sims grow up, though, and progress through life as well - as I said, the toddler one day being an elder and holding his grandkid - priceless
Alchemist
#91 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 11:05 PM
Vanilla isn't hard when you have access to all the tricks. The basic game of juggling needs became progressively easier as each EP was added. I'm a big proponent of having a third caregiver. If you don't have AL, you can still invite a Sim in, make them selectable and let them pick up the slack while the parents rest. Just like in real life, order a pizza for a break sometimes, or let the dishes pile up for a bit.
Theorist
#92 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 11:06 PM
I choose relaxed parenting style like Amura. I don't use a longer aging mod but ages are tweaked in my game. Toddlerhood lasts 4 four days which is enough for my taste..
Toddlers who get all their skills (but nursery rhyme) are the smart ones with smart parents. Otherwise they at least learn to walk and are maybe potty-trained. I'm fine with it.
Scholar
#93 Old 17th Feb 2017 at 12:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
The OP didn't sound relaxed though, they wanted help.

Yep, I know. There are many tricks out there and probably they have all been said, I'm sure the OP is considering them and probably will use some of them.
I just thought I should add the change-your-gameplay-style option, which is also good for new players imho. Sometimes you just have to figure out the best way for you to play.
I've always been a micro-manager and after a time I've realized that I enjoy the game more if I'm not pausing constantly (and I let things happen, such as a Sim inviting a lover to her wedding, which was likely to create havoc... I did not do that kind of things before). So I'm glad I once read that other people played differently and that I gave it a chance, because surprisingly I like it better now.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#94 Old 17th Feb 2017 at 7:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Won't help if the system's not strong enough, or OP is the sort of person who needs to add in EPs one at a time and master the game in increments. But if Andrew Gloria can deal with Newson clones with only Double Deluxe and OFB, someone with only the first two EPs can deal with normal families.

I'm not that kind of person, in Sims 3, i got every EP and SP at once but i haven't done so in Sims 2 yet, first it was because i couldn't find any place to buy them, but that i have, i'm afraid some of my mods won't work if i get other EP's and SP's. I don't think they're worth it as i got crapload of mods and i do not want to sort them out or anything. Also i don't know how laggy my game gets, though i've seen no difference from when i had no mods nor any EP's or SP's. Maybe some day i'll get 'em but not today
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#95 Old 17th Feb 2017 at 7:33 PM
The game setting of 4 days is not relaxed though, toddlerhood is over in a flash and most new players do stress over getting those skills done in time. I highly recommend a longer aging mod or to turn aging off.

I think 4 days can be enough after all, if you use smart milk. I didn't find it helpful at first, it was because nobody had good aspiration level, and i can't blame them! Babies can be annoying... but now that someone gave me that helpful dating tip (sorry can't remember which one was it ) I can just train them instantly after they turn into toddlers! Now it's not very relaxing, but it can be fun, which is something i couldn't believe i could have with babies and toddlers, but what can i say, i've been overwhelmed with amazing tips!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#96 Old 17th Feb 2017 at 9:04 PM
Yeah, that was me, or someone else might have also said. A few mods and toddlers can be fun, I even take mine to the beach, park or to day care.

I added a link to the updated bed wetting mod on the other thread.

~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#97 Old 18th Feb 2017 at 1:07 AM

I leave my toddlers at 4 days and while some struggle even to get potty trained many of my toddlers go into platinum because they've learned everything by the third day without smart milk. It depends very much on the parent. If they're happy it's much, much easier.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#98 Old 18th Feb 2017 at 6:05 PM
Yeah, that was me, or someone else might have also said. A few mods and toddlers can be fun, I even take mine to the beach, park or to day care.

I added a link to the updated bed wetting mod on the other thread.

Found it, thanks!!
Mad Poster
#99 Old 18th Feb 2017 at 7:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Samppuli
I'm not that kind of person, in Sims 3, i got every EP and SP at once but i haven't done so in Sims 2 yet, first it was because i couldn't find any place to buy them, but that i have, i'm afraid some of my mods won't work if i get other EP's and SP's. I don't think they're worth it as i got crapload of mods and i do not want to sort them out or anything. Also i don't know how laggy my game gets, though i've seen no difference from when i had no mods nor any EP's or SP's. Maybe some day i'll get 'em but not today

I believe you can still get them from Ultimate Collection for FREE.
Page 4 of 4