Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Dec 2014 at 5:22 PM
Questions
Hi All

So I installed TS2 finally on a new laptop but I don't know how to play on it with a trackpad? Can anybody help me, for those of you who didn't know how to play TS2 with a trackpad?

I am truly a Sim Fan
Not a Warcraft or a Civilization,
I am truly a Sim Fan

ttp://www.missingstudios.com/ms/signaturegenerator/finished/mysig_801995495.jpg
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 13th Dec 2014 at 5:43 PM
Isn't a trackpad like that thing on laptops instead of a mouse? Or am I just not updated with technology?
If it is, it shouldn't be any different. Tap to click, move your fingers across it to move the cursor and it shouldn't work much differently. I'm not a big fan of using it, so I use my usb mouse instead.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#3 Old 13th Dec 2014 at 5:46 PM
Yep. The only thing you can't do is change the view angle easily. You can rotate and zoom using the keyboard keys, but panning up and down is impossible.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Field Researcher
#4 Old 13th Dec 2014 at 5:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
Yep. The only thing you can't do is change the view angle easily. You can rotate and zoom using the keyboard keys, but panning up and down is impossible.

That sounds terrible! I'd recommend the OP, once he gets money, to buy a cheap USB mouse. Have fun playing!
Mad Poster
#5 Old 13th Dec 2014 at 6:46 PM
I think you can hit the tab key and go into first person game mode and use w s a d to move around with.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Undead Molten Llama
#6 Old 13th Dec 2014 at 11:50 PM
Ugh. Seriously, get a mouse. When I played on a laptop, the touchpad was never big enough to move around as much as I wanted to, and I hate, hate, HATE using the keyboard keys to navigate. Mouse, all the way. They're cheap. When I played on a netbook for a while, I got a tiny little one that was...well, cute...for like $5 at a Walmart.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 14th Dec 2014 at 12:48 AM
I have to agree with Bigsimsfan12 and iCad. A cheap Walmart mouse. I only played once without the mouse, my hand cramped for 2 days afterwards.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 14th Dec 2014 at 1:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rusty55
I have to agree with Bigsimsfan12 and iCad. A cheap Walmart mouse. I only played once without the mouse, my hand cramped for 2 days afterwards.

At first, on this laptop I could only either use the internet or use the mouse, because whenever the mouse would be plugged in, the internet would stop and vise versa. Luckily it's sorted itself out now. I'm currently typing on the internet, while using my mouse
Without the mouse is waaaay too frustrating for me. I always end up pausing the game for ages as I click different things and I hate using arrow keys, it drives me insane.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Scholar
#9 Old 14th Dec 2014 at 3:48 AM
It is untrue that you can't pan up and down with a trackpad. I found this out the hard way when my mouse died and I was out of the country and couldn't get a compatible mouse, My trackpad is the kind with two buttons at the base of it (I have an alienware): I don't know how it works with other trackpads.

WIth the two-button trackpad, hit both buttons simultaneously and move one finger on the trackpad. It's a bit hard. A lot of the time if I don't get both buttons perfectly at the same moment I get, instead of the curved arrows, a tiny little blue square with spines that turns out to be a target thing, indicating a spot my frame of reference will jump to.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 14th Dec 2014 at 4:40 AM
I use a trackpad on my company computer, and I hate it. I don't have on on my computer-mouse all the way.

Track pads are designed mostly for up and down, sideways maybe..but not for gaming in a different setting.

A mouse has far better tactile feel and a huge range of motion. A track pad does not.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 14th Dec 2014 at 5:21 AM
I did that while away on holidays and it was awful. I would get a mouse.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#12 Old 15th Dec 2014 at 6:19 AM
Get a mouse You could even get a wireless one, but you can plug a mouse into a laptop too; I certainly can't play on the trackpad (or on the pc's keybord either although I know somebody who actually prefers to play on the keybord! Perhaps you need a certain kind of touch or very nimble fingers, but I won't recommend that.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 15th Dec 2014 at 5:17 PM
I play using a trackpad! I haven't used a mouse for years :-) I'm totally used to it now, it feels weird using a mouse at work (and if I borrow my Dad's laptop I annoy him by disconnecting the mouse as I don't like it and then confusing him by forgetting to reconnect it when I'm done) :-D
Undead Molten Llama
#14 Old 15th Dec 2014 at 10:02 PM
Well, that just goes to show that you're nuts, Laura.

That said, I have played using my Wacom graphics tablet and its stylus instead of a mouse, mostly because it's wireless and thus gives me more freedom of movement to recline in my office chair. It's sort of like a giant touchpad, I suppose. It works pretty well except that I can't control rotating very well. I think my main issue with laptop trackpads is that they're small and I play the game in a big window. I could probably get used to it if I had to, but...Well, I'd rather not. Creature of habit, am I.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 15th Dec 2014 at 10:56 PM
^ Can I also join the Laura is nuts side? Although I would not want a tablet either, just using my hubbies lap top with Windows 8 for a few minutes is enough for me. I'm like chuck that thing out of the window! Also really, really annoying how his lap top has a finger print scanner. Not that he asked for that, that is just how it came. I wanted to move some photos and I'm like flipping heck now I need the right finger print. I said to him, how about we keep one of your fingers in a box mafia style. He wasn't too keen, can't think why. :P

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#16 Old 15th Dec 2014 at 11:20 PM
I don't think Laura is nuts\. I haven't bothered to try to get a new mouse because money is tight and I've gotten used to the trackpad. I stgill like the mouse better, but I can do everything with the trackpad, yes, including rotating. Ultimately it's one of those things that people have opinions about, and you just have to use the equipment thatg works best for you (including, if you are me, the equi[pment you can afford),
Field Researcher
#17 Old 15th Dec 2014 at 11:40 PM
I used a trackpad the first three years that I played my game. It's kind of wonky, but you get used to it. I even managed to play Skyrim with a trackpad, so you should be able to play the sims with one.

My simblr
In the name of the Moon, i will right wrongs and triumph over evil, and that means YOU! ❤️
Mad Poster
#18 Old 16th Dec 2014 at 6:34 AM
The trackpad drives me crazy. I lack the manual dexterity to outwit one. XD