Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Alchemist
#26 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 12:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by EsmeraldaF
The one I'm watching is http://www.youtube.com/user/Centers...C/0/KpW37ZKlF7E . He does some commentary, but it's OK and not intrusive, and the video and audio quality are good (it's HD). He's completed the game and I'm about halfway through the videos at the moment, and so far it's been very enjoyable.

Perfect, thank you! That one guy was driving me nuts. He spoke every 2 seconds and if he didn't have any english words to impart he just said things like "Huh!" and "Mm!" "Uh." Etc.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 10:03 AM
Finally, the torture is over. And it really was worth the wait!

The graphics even on my crappy tv are great and the ARI thing has to be one of the most extraodinary gadget I've encountered in a game. So far nothing bad to say, just pure awe. *runs back to play*
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#28 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 10:11 AM
ARI is the glasses and glove thing, yeah? I was watching while Delphy was playing with that and my jaw dropped so hard I'm still trying to glue it back on.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Forum Resident
#29 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 4:01 PM
Yeah the ARI was pretty awesome, i was amazed too. Reminded me a little of Johnny Mnemonic
"Step one, change the office"

I'm actually watching it a second time with Esmeralda's youtube suggestion and this guy talks a lot less, so it's not too distracting.

The developers said in an interview, that he will make more games of this sort, but he hates sequels, so it's unlikely that plans a Heavy Rain 2. He says: Stories are best on it's own.

-> My "Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines" Sims: > CLICK <
-> "My Fav music" playlist: >> Listen <<
-> Liquid Drum & Bass at it's best: > Liquicity <
-> Swiss Groove - the world's grooviest webradio! Music which moves your body & soul: > SwissGroove Website <
Alchemist
#30 Old 3rd Mar 2010 at 1:16 AM Last edited by coltraz : 3rd Mar 2010 at 1:36 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Slipslop
Yeah the ARI was pretty awesome, i was amazed too. Reminded me a little of Johnny Mnemonic
"Step one, change the office"

That was awesome.

But were you watching that YouTube vid where the guy was all confused when that happened? He was like "Woah, what???" and changed the scene a few times and couldn't figure out what the point of it was. Finally he started going over the case and said, "Why am I doing this in the desert?" I actually screamed at my computer when he said that. How stupid do you have to be?!

The guy from EsmeraldaF's link is pretty tame but he is seriously sex deprived.

Anyway I am loving watching this. I don't know that I would like to PLAY it particularly or not.
Moderator of Camera Models
retired moderator
#31 Old 3rd Mar 2010 at 2:36 AM
Just came across this - The film Se7en if it was made like Heavy Rain. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmiPL5xUw8A

*** Games Journalist with the magazines PC Powerplay and Hyper ***

And guys don't say a game is 'addicting'. That is a horrible massacre of the English language. The word is 'addictive'. Thank you. :)
Alchemist
#32 Old 3rd Mar 2010 at 2:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ElPresidente
Just came across this - The film Se7en if it was made like Heavy Rain. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmiPL5xUw8A

LMAO! The best was Freeman's loading screen face.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#33 Old 3rd Mar 2010 at 8:04 AM
Man.... got a lot further last night (with some bits that made me go WHAA??) and... criminy sakes, this game can be -brutal-. I was not expecting quite this level of extreme violence. Yet in the context of the game, it's things that you feel... highly motivated to do, because of the consequences if you don't. It's honestly so intense in some scenes I have to wander off for a little while and come back - and I'm not even the one holding the darn controller!

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#34 Old 3rd Mar 2010 at 2:30 PM
I played it through for the first time. A really, really strange gaming experience but not in a bad way at all. I can't remember the last time I actually had to think so hard what to say or do next and actually regret just about every choice I made, and feel a strong urge to take it back. But I suppose that's exactly what a player is wanted to feel, the weight of the decisions and fear what will happen.

I'll have to play it again and see how different it is second time around. (Atleast I hope to keep just one damn person alive this time!)
Forum Resident
#35 Old 3rd Mar 2010 at 3:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by coltraz
That was awesome.

But were you watching that YouTube vid where the guy was all confused when that happened? He was like "Woah, what???" and changed the scene a few times and couldn't figure out what the point of it was. Finally he started going over the case and said, "Why am I doing this in the desert?" I actually screamed at my computer when he said that. How stupid do you have to be?!

Anyway I am loving watching this. I don't know that I would like to PLAY it particularly or not.

I think i know which scene you mean, the ARI manipulates the brain to a large extend, if you overuse it you turn crazy. It's the way he uses the ARI, usually you use it exclusively for investigations, but Jayden also uses the glasses for everyday things + drugs an unhealthy combination.

Btw if someone is interested in the soundtrack which you cannot get in the official soundtrack (like club music or Ethan's CD player), i found a site where you can buy all those tracks and also listen to them.

Source:
http://www.audionetworkplc.com/show...riller+thriller
Tracklist here:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genm...&topic=53713195

-> Swiss Groove - the world's grooviest webradio! Music which moves your body & soul: > SwissGroove Website <
Instructor
#36 Old 3rd Mar 2010 at 8:41 PM
Watching the walk through it seems very mundane to me. Maybe it's different actually controlling the game for yourself but it seems you do nothing in particular and there is no thought process required on behalf of the player; you simply move along with it... not my kind of thing, but it's enjoyable watching the story unfold although some aspects of the story have seemed out of place.
Mad Poster
#37 Old 3rd Mar 2010 at 9:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by coltraz

Yeah, sorry, just after I recommended that link because the videos had been pretty watchable so far, he started on the childish sexual-fantasy ramblings in the subsequent videos. I hope he shuts up again at some point.

I'm about 2/3 through the videos now and enjoying the story - some of it is a bit silly and implausible like some of Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy was, but for the most part it's good. If it ever comes out for PC, I'll probably get it and try it out with different choices from the guy doing the playthrough, to see what happens. I like games that give you a degree of freewill.
retired moderator
#38 Old 3rd Mar 2010 at 10:46 PM
Alas there will be no PC version.

Sony put a bit of money in to this to keep is a PS3 exclusive and it has been built from the ground up with the PS3 control in mind.

It could happen but would be very unlikely.

And guys don't say a game is 'addicting'. That is a horrible massacre of the English language. The word is 'addictive'. Thank you. :)
Mad Poster
#39 Old 5th Mar 2010 at 7:02 PM Last edited by EsmeraldaF : 5th Mar 2010 at 7:12 PM.
Just finished watching all the videos of the playthrough and really enjoyed it. A shame I won't be able to play it myself (I wonder what the reasoning behind insisting on it being exclusive to the PS3 is? They're doing themselves out of millions of dollars in sales they would have gained if they also released it for PC).

I was surprised to find that I myself didn't feel the outcome to seem all that contrived or 'deus ex machina'-ish - I didn't expect the killer to be who they were, but didn't find it outlandish either, in the context of the character's backstory that starts to be revealed late in the game. However, I did have a hard time with a lot of the police procedural - so much of Carter Blake's conduct was a strain to the credibility, it was too unbelievable that a police investigator would behave as he did, especially in front of his colleagues, and that they would all just abjectly accept behaviour such as his quick jumping to conclusions about who the killer definitely is despite no evidence whatsoever, and follow his often really inappropriate orders without question.

But all things considered, I was impressed with its engrossing story, atmosphere, cinematic quality, well-drawn sympathetic characters that you could care about, and great graphics - definitely worth playing!
Forum Resident
#40 Old 6th Mar 2010 at 9:00 PM
I thought the same about the releases for other platforms, but i guess they wanted to put the PS3 Sixaxis Control to good use, with shaking turning and stuff and of course to make the PS3 more popular. Exclusive releases are pretty common nowadays to promote the consoles or company (Microsoft -> Halo for instance)

For me Blake was the police asshole, who wants to finish cases no matter if the suspect is guilty or not, just for a good record. (At one point Jayden also yells at Blake that he is a bad cop, for not finding the killer in the past years) He stands for corrupt police for me, who uses not entirely legal methods to get the job done, while Jayden was the complete opposite.

There is already an interactive(!) playthrough of the DLC for Heavy Rain without distracting commentary which features an additional chapter for Madison Paige.
This was the best playthrough i could find.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0K0ij6w6FY&fmt=22

Test Subject
#41 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 4:28 AM
I unfortunately cannot play this game since I don't have a PS3 (PC and Xbox 360). Like others I have watched an entire playthrough of it on Youtube.

Although I wasn't playing, I was sucked into the game. Some scenes were intense, while others left me crying (literally). Such a deep and emotional game. Heavy Rain takes depressing to a whole new level.

The problems that I have are actually the flaws given to the characters. A lot of it is unexplained even though it becomes a primary part of the story and to me, some of it isn't all that convincing (but that's just my opinion). Another issue was that half way through the game, it became super obvious who the killer was and the whole reason behind it just seemed to pop out of nowhere. The final concern I have is the sudden, instant relationship between characters. They weren't really developed so it just seemed kind of weird.

I love the voice acting for this game though (except when they mispronounce origami) and the graphics are just gorgeous. I am seriously going to buy a PS3 just so I can have this game XD.
retired moderator
#42 Old 8th Mar 2010 at 6:25 AM
http://www.akimbopodcast.com/ <--- For those interested, myself and two other Aussie game critics dissect the Heavy Rain experience.

Test Subject
#43 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 3:24 AM
Default My MIND man
Quote: Originally posted by DAV1D
does anyone know where i can get a floor plan of ethan's first or second house? I badly wanna start building that awsome looking house in the prologue.

Wow firgg'in read my MIND! But I also think in would be cool if some one could make the characters like Madison Paige because of the upcomming Expansion pack which allows you to be a detective.
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 11th May 2012 at 2:01 PM
Heavy Rain is brilliant and very easy once you know what you're doing I've completed it twice so far in the space of a day with two different endings. This time I saved everyone <3
Mad Poster
#45 Old 11th May 2012 at 3:34 PM
Turned it on twice, never really got into it.

I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT.
Test Subject
#46 Old 8th Jan 2013 at 12:27 AM
Ahh-! Got this for Christmas and only started playing it the other night, (or rather like Paroxysm watched it being played) and it is just as invigorating if I was the characters themselves! The amount of people you can control, wondering how they fit into each others lives, and when it actually happens still being completely surprised- all the while still being able to understand the storyline!

This is a fantastic game, highly recommended for sure, my mom got so into it that we had to convince to leave in time for work! The entire time playing it I was looking at walls and textures and drooling about wanting to have them in my game~!

(I love this game enough to ignore the 8 months of no activity)
Mad Poster
#47 Old 8th Jan 2013 at 12:41 AM
I love this game. It's fantastic. The graphics are great, and I would PAY for a PC port for this . . . the open-endedness is great.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Field Researcher
#48 Old 16th Feb 2013 at 1:18 PM
I love this game I've beat it like 7 times already.

I once thought i was sad because I had no shoes, then I saw a man with no feet.
Animals are such agreeable friends – they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms.
Field Researcher
#49 Old 7th Oct 2014 at 2:13 PM
I've been meaning to play this game again but I've been too busy playing other games. This game is the reason I bought a PS3 in the first place.

Page 2 of 2