Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jun 2012 at 5:16 AM
Default Do You Play as a Boy or a Girl?
In most first person-shooter games or games where you get character customization, you often get to choose what gender you want to play as.

Usually I play as a girl (since I am one) but I find that in some games, playing as a girl gets you...unwanted extras. I know that this is simply because most games (on console) are marketed towards male gamers, who'd probably rather stare at a girl's ass than a male one's, but I feel like I don't have that level of comfort where I just...play. It just feels so "in your face" you know?

Not that I find anything wrong with making my character a guy; in fact, I like seeing muscles, a handsome face and a nice, soothing voice. I just don't like that playing as a girl, your character becomes sexualized sometimes.

So, how do you play?

My male Sims are...Simulicious!
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 21st Jun 2012 at 5:57 AM
Way back in the day, when I used to play a terrible game called Maplestory, I knew a dude who pretended to be a girl to get free items. He'd flirt around with a bunch of desperate guys to get money and stuff >__>

I don't get the excuse some guys use, such as, "Well, if I'm going stare at an ass all day, I'd prefer to look girl's ass." I'm all like, err.... shouldn't you be concentrating on more important stuff? Like the surrounding environment? Or the monsters? Or the enemy players attacking you?

I'm pretty much indifferent on which gender I play as. Usually I'll just pick whichever one has the better looking armor.

(Unless one character model just looks plain awful. Like the female tauren in WoW.... Cows aren't supposed to have boobs-- they have udders. That's just weird).

♥ ❤ ❥ Tumblr (which I never update) ♥ ❤ ❥
My Blog
Theorist
#3 Old 21st Jun 2012 at 6:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Misanthrope
I don't get the excuse some guys use, such as, "Well, if I'm going stare at an ass all day, I'd prefer to look girl's ass." I'm all like, err.... shouldn't you be concentrating on more important stuff? Like the surrounding environment? Or the monsters? Or the enemy players attacking you?.

I'm a female, and I usually play as either gender. And actually when I do choose a male character, that's my exact reason Well not as much about the ass as the eye candy, but still. I don't play FPS or MMORPG though.
Instructor
#4 Old 21st Jun 2012 at 8:07 AM
I am a guy and it depends... If it's a RPG like Fable or something I always choose the guy, I don't know why to be completely honest. I just do
If it's a sports game like SSX I think I would lean on choosing girls more, they have better outfits.
When I'm playing TS3 my family is usually made up of just one young adult girl, and I focus on making her a celebrity and getting her a glorious career. I just think it's more fun playing as a girl in TS3, getting her all dolled up also girls' online CC is much more consistent that boys'.

My favorite games are racing games though, so it doesn't really matter which gender you choose when you're playing NFS The Run or stuff like that.

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#5 Old 21st Jun 2012 at 8:38 AM
If the game gives me a choice, I usually pick male to start. but I will then go back and play as a female, as well. In some games, like, say, Fallout: New Vegas, there are some questlines that can be played out differently, depending on gender. Or in a game like Dragon Age, where your choice can influence the story in a major way. If the differences are merely cosmetic, and don't apply to stats or anything, I just pick the one that looks cooler.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 21st Jun 2012 at 9:29 AM
Always as a female if I get the option. I don't mind playing male characters (I've been playing Alan Wake and The Witcher, for instance) but prefer to play as female. One of the great pluses of discovering Mass Effect was the realisation that there was no maleshep (at least in my universe) and that gameplay with the real Shep wasn't altered for some stupid 'women would behave like this' notion.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Inventor
#7 Old 21st Jun 2012 at 10:16 AM
MMORPG = Many Men Online Role Playing Girls :D

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
Alchemist
#8 Old 21st Jun 2012 at 10:26 AM
I usually play the first playthrough as a female, and then, the next, as a male, just to see the differences. But I prefer playing as a girl, it's just more... personal. :D

Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Always as a female if I get the option. I don't mind playing male characters (I've been playing Alan Wake and The Witcher, for instance) but prefer to play as female. One of the great pluses of discovering Mass Effect was the realisation that there was no maleshep (at least in my universe) and that gameplay with the real Shep wasn't altered for some stupid 'women would behave like this' notion.

I know, to me, playing as Broshep seemed weird. I barely finished two playthroughs with him. o.o

Evil doesn't worry about not being good. - The Warden, Dragon Age Origins
Scholar
#9 Old 21st Jun 2012 at 3:55 PM
If it's a sidescroller or something, I'd just pick the one that looks cooler, like when I played pokemon ruby, I always played the guy because his hair was cooler. If they actually look like people, I'll play either. I usually go back and play both if it's more than an aesthetic difference. More often than not, If I can customize it, it's going to be ridiculous as hell though. I loved making ridiculous burly drag queens in sr2, just because the cut scenes were hilarious. "These gangs have no idea who they're dealing with"

"You're born naked, and everything else is drag."
dA
Last.fm
tumblr
Instructor
#10 Old 21st Jun 2012 at 4:30 PM
When I play MMOs I don't see myself as being in the game, I see the character on the screen as the hero of a story. So when I choose gender I think what would make a story that will amuse/entertain me. Sometimes the hero is male, sometimes female. But honestly I've more female characters in WoW than male because most of the male characters are ugly (like Misanthrope I play male taurens).

In the Sims for me is all about playing a family. So both and sometimes same genders make up my households.

When I play RPGs I tend to be the hero, so I play as a male. Though I did play Sheperd in Mass Effect as a female, it was more fun that way. I played both female and males in Skyrim. But the females were more photogenic, so they got more screenshots.

They call me The Seeker.
I've been searching low and high.
Scholar
#11 Old 21st Jun 2012 at 4:47 PM
I don't mind playing either gender, but usually if I have a choice I'll choose female.
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 21st Jun 2012 at 5:34 PM
I usually play as a male. For instance, when playing lets say a game that only gives you an option of A boy and A girl (As in one or the other) And there are two players.

I pick the male, and my brother is stuck with the female. Muahahahha. >.>

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Instructor
#13 Old 21st Jun 2012 at 6:02 PM
I don't really play games where the females are "sexualized". I'm more of a T-rated gamer. And everything below T also...

Soo I play as a girl. Because I am a girl.

♫ She's got sunset on her breath, I inhaled just a little bit now I got no fear of death ♫
Mad Poster
#14 Old 23rd Jun 2012 at 10:12 AM
I play as a guy, I just prefer it that way even though I'm a female. I identify more with male protagonists.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Mad Poster
#15 Old 23rd Jun 2012 at 6:02 PM
Don't care, don't even think about it, I just play the game and if the character is the character then that's who I play as. Besides I don't believe in gender as a concept.

I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT.
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 23rd Jun 2012 at 8:00 PM
Whatever looks the coolest, or has the coolest abilities. Usually it's male as I find the female characters can be a bit too sexualised or over the top. In recent games anyway.

I don't see "myself" in the character or see it as a person by itself. I have some friends who call their characters for her or him. To me it's just a it.

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Scholar
#17 Old 23rd Jun 2012 at 9:43 PM
I pick female, exclusively. I am a girl, and I've never felt the need to play as a male character (I only make exceptions for games like Mario and Legend of Zelda) so I have a female character. The games I play have attributes based on race, or they have nothing to do with what you pick, only how good your reaction time is, or how high your level is.

In the sims, it varies. It depends on what I'm trying to accomplish in a story/ upcoming video. If I need a male sim, I'll make a male sim. If I need a female sim, I make it. I know what they look like in my head, so it can be very different.

THE CAT HAIR WIZARD
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#18 Old 23rd Jun 2012 at 10:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloodyScholastic
bad ass/tough/cool/nerd/geek male characters than typical "boring" pretty/cute/hipsters female.

How odd. I play typical bad ass/tough/cool/nerd/geek female characters myself.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Forum Resident
#19 Old 23rd Jun 2012 at 11:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by paksetti
If it's a sidescroller or something, I'd just pick the one that looks cooler, like when I played pokemon ruby, I always played the guy because his hair was cooler.
This is how I go about it, too. I get a lot of flak from 12-year-olds on Xbox LIVE for playing as a female character in Halo. What can I say? Their male counterparts are just too damn bulky. I want someone that reflects my ladylike stature.

It is fun to mess with morons on LIVE, though. They see a female character and ask me to be their girlfriend. I respond with my deep Bubba voice and scar them for life.

"Given enough time, hydrogen starts to wonder where it came from, and where it is going." - Edward R. Harrison
Mad Poster
#20 Old 24th Jun 2012 at 1:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Element Leaf
It is fun to mess with morons on LIVE, though. They see a female character and ask me to be their girlfriend. I respond with my deep Bubba voice and scar them for life.

So evil.

I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 24th Jun 2012 at 1:49 AM
I usually play as a guy because of the clothing. I'd play as a girl too if all the clothes could be worn by both genders! (Note: all the custom content I've ever made was converted to both genders no matter how girly or boyish)
#22 Old 24th Jun 2012 at 3:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
How odd. I play typical bad ass/tough/cool/nerd/geek female characters myself.

Sometimes I pick female characters too. Most of tough female characters I've seen in my games pretty much being "sexualized", doesn't really fit to my taste Kind of hard to find any other cool, nerd, geek, decent female character, since in my games the characters have been dominated by male
Field Researcher
#23 Old 24th Jun 2012 at 4:24 AM
I play as a girl because I am a girl but play as a guy if that is the only choice.

I once thought i was sad because I had no shoes, then I saw a man with no feet.
Animals are such agreeable friends – they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 24th Jun 2012 at 4:40 AM Last edited by annoainthere : 24th Jun 2012 at 1:59 PM.
Well really it depends on the character/game. I take the time to choose carefully (check out stats, abilities, etc..) because I like to play characters that have a good variety while being able to inflict a good amount of damage as well. I don't usually care if I play female or male, so long as they have the right stats for me.

Oh Noes Not Another Blog! - where you can see my awful custom content and horrible attempts at challenges, storytelling and picture taking.
Not much up there right now, this is only the beginning! :D
Scholar
#25 Old 24th Jun 2012 at 5:40 AM
Well, this seems appropriate.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e52EpgiI3gk

"You're born naked, and everything else is drag."
dA
Last.fm
tumblr

Page 1 of 3