Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 9:37 PM
Speeding up Sims 3?
The question every TS3 player asks themself: I'm wondering what I can do to speed up Sims 3? Recently it seems everytime I unpause the game, it's going so slowly and I just don't know which of the things is causing the worst problem.

Here's what I've done sofar:
-I clear out the cache files regularly.
-I use a program called Game Booster 3 to speed up my computer.
-I close any programs I'm not actively using.
-I've moved all of the Screenshots to another folder.
-I've scanned my computer for viruses.
-I've defragged the harddrive, and have 100GB free space.
-I've locked that one folder so EAxis stops downloading thousands of tiny images.

I'm also wondering which of these would be slowing down the game the worst:
-Are you supposed to delete all of the gravestones from the Masoleum regularly, or does that matter?
-Having too many Sims living on a lot?
-Having too many objects decorating the main lot?
-Having too many objects in the family inventory?
-Using custom colors and/or pattern styles?
-Having too many Sims wearing mod-items?
-Having too many mods installed? I have 156 files taking up 105MB.
-Having too many community lots and/or residential lots in a town?
-For upgrading, adding items to community lots so that they are worth more money?
-Having too many gnomes wandering around the lot?
-Having too many Sims living in the town?

See, I'm not even sure which of these is the worst culprit and should be addressed first.

Check out my Legacy Challenge:
Chapter 41: Do Babies Eat Sand?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 10:03 PM
For me having too many sims, over 6, can slow down the game. Especially if they are at the same place at the same time, home or community lot, plus possible random townies. CC don't really cause slowing down anymore since they all .package files. I try to stay away from sim3packs. I don't see any difference between custom colours or in game colours. Right now I have one m. mister gnome spawing baby gnomes like crazy and one horse gnome, but I think don't they are the cause. But I have notice that when ever I start a new save the game does run smoother than after 10 sim weeks. Could be becouse all the family tree activities and townies life progress. Usually after 10 sim weeks I just start a new save and don't wail over past slow game play.
Scholar
#3 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 10:04 PM
Deleting your memories might help
Scholar
#4 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 10:40 PM
If you use a bunch of flowers, shrubs, and trees (non deco) it will lag the fuck out of the lot.

"It's said war - war never changes. Men do, through the roads they walk. And this road - has reached its end" - Ulysses, Fallout New Vegas
If you love Fallout and literacy, you'll ABSOLUTELY love my roleplay group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/127063690973781/
Alchemist
#5 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 11:20 PM
Well, I have around 2019 packages files (3,12 gigs) in my mods folder, so I don't think 156 files is that much yet. I also never delete gravestones from the mausoleum. I just move them out to the cemetery grounds, so there's a lot of ghosts around. I also play with large maps and with town full of people without any noticeable lagginess. When is comes to game speed, a lot depends on your system specs, as well. The draw distance and reflections on high settings can also slow your game.

Have you tried the SaveCleaner -program? It a good way to reduce the size of your save file. It might also help some.
http://www.den.simlogical.com/denfo...hp?topic=1532.0
Field Researcher
#6 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 11:41 PM
Running Nraas Overwatch, Error Trap, and Register helps. Limiting Windows Startup programs in msconfig frees up memory. A program called CleanMem frees up some more. Alleviating routing issues can't be overstated...they will absolutely trash your performance.

Simulis
απολαυστικά κακό
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 6:32 PM
@Miarell: I mostly use Package files as well. There were 1 or 2 .sims3packs but I think I've uninstalled the. Also it's my Legacy Challenge game so I'm upto week 21 now.

@labellavienna: Good idea, I deleted all the townies' memories, and I've always had the mod that tries to reduce memory creation. Should I delete memories for the Sims living on my lot as well?

@ChinchillaJesus: Nope, just regular Gardening plants. The only place is on 1 community lot, I put some of the decorative Build Mode plants.

Quote: Originally posted by varpunen
Have you tried the SaveCleaner -program? It a good way to reduce the size of your save file. It might also help some.
http://www.den.simlogical.com/denfo...hp?topic=1532.0

@Varpunen: When I try to use it I'm getting the same error the last commenter has, about "System.InalidOperationException", I quess I need to downgrade my .Net Framework from 4.5.1 to 4.0. I'll have to play with the draw distance and reflections, figure out what works fast without making the game look horrible.

@PoisonFrog: Yep, I'm running most of the NrAAS library. How do you alleviate routing issues, is it a mod or do you mean by making bigger houses?

Check out my Legacy Challenge:
Chapter 41: Do Babies Eat Sand?
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 6:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mister_wolfe
The question every TS3 player asks themself: I'm wondering what I can do to speed up Sims 3? Recently it seems everytime I unpause the game, it's going so slowly and I just don't know which of the things is causing the worst problem.

There are a lot of good tips that might help you in Tips For Better Game Performance if you'd like to take a look at those. Perhaps something in there with catch you eye and help.
Spice Pony
#9 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 7:18 PM
Place the disc in a box and strap rocket engines to it. You'll have more luck with this method than with any software fix, considering how inherently broken the game is.

In all seriousness, though, it's the last one that causes the biggest problems. The game has to constantly compute routing for an entire town's worth of sims. The more you have in your town, the worse it gets. I've had to remove all other households in town before, it's gotten so bad. Hopefully, you don't need to go that far.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 10:18 PM
using simple towns will ease the game and give you a decent frame rate
http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/193872.page
this town will load in seconds and save in less than that at least on my pc i populated it with many families and many lots and the game still loads in less than a minute and saves in less than that try using it its really worth it
also if you want a city feel and other simple towns google is your friend i downloaded a simple city and its also fast and has the bridgeport city feeling with simple routing and no bugs and speed loading and saving time unlike other worlds especially the ones that EA made >.>
the only problem i found with sims 3 is when a world is not made correctly and i wonder how someone who made the game doesn't even make worlds that function correctly
if you want some links to some simple worlds i will send them to you ^^