Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jul 2015 at 2:17 AM
Default How to "Advertise" Lots with Hidden Features?
I'm looking for general advice on this, not just for specific lots:

One of the things that can be the most fun architecturally is finding ways to hide passages, stairways, rooms, and even entire living spaces behind the walls of otherwise conventional-seeming structures. This can also lead to lots of fun in gameplay, but when it comes to creating the page for an upload, it presents a unique problem- how do you let people know?
A good example of this is my Nosferatu Court apartment lot. It looks normal from the outside, WHICH IS THE POINT, but by looking normal, it makes it hard to make clear why it's distinctive, especially when it has to be done with nothing more than the main upload image and the upload title. I would love to make more lots with similar features, from the Kingsman tailor shop/espionage headquarters lot from the movie of the same name, to Phantom-of-the-Opera-esque public spaces hiding secret passages and living spaces hidden in the catacombs or attics, long-since forgotten by the outside world.

So, how would you go about making it clear what you're REALLY getting when you download a lot like that?

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Advertisement
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#2 Old 18th Jul 2015 at 3:50 AM
Put "Special Features" in the title and be sure to get good screenshots of those features?
Mad Poster
#3 Old 18th Jul 2015 at 4:51 AM
Have two kinds of text - general overview in the open, and Top Secret Surprises under spoiler tags (which you can label "top secret surprises" if you want to - see the descriptions of the Widespot families for an example of how this would be done).

That way, everybody knows that there's something special and hidden, and those who like surprises can be alert for them, while those who want to know everything up front can open the spoilers and read all about it.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)